Steps to get a DNI? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Steps to get a DNI? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

DAN
Username: Crazygaucho

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

does anybody have an idea on how to get an argentinean Dni ?
I'm a uruguayan citizen with permanent residency here since 1976 , but I need to get DNI for the wife and son, and I was wondering if any of you guys know anybody that does this kind of paperwork(when it comes to paperwork here,I'rather eat worms) ....... they are running out of paasport sheets!
thanks
DAN

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dan,
I'm not sure about your DNI paper work, but to be sure Roberto will give you some imput when he awakes from his nice retreat in Miami (smiles)!!!

My question to you would be "they are running out of passport papers (documention) to apply! Isn't that alittle strange????

Larry

DAN

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

when I said they are running out of passport shets,that's what I meant ....... because they both have American passports and at least once every three month they have to go out of Argentina and comeback to renew their tourist visa valid for 90 days ........ evey time you do this they stamp your passport 4 times ...........honestly I don't see "strange"part about this .....
DAN

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Larry meant the forms for applying for a passport. At least, that is what I understood in your first post. There is some information here and here. Some think it is best to apply for residence abroad while others think it is best doing it locally. The second thread will give you some hints. I don't think there are any shortcuts.

DAN

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Roberto!!!!! I'll check the info ..... I still don't see where I'm asking to apply for a passport , I said argentinean DNI for my wife and son (both USA citizens) it should be locally because we are already here, and never said I was looking for a "shorcut"........(they Always come back to haunt you)
thanks again and like new yorkers says
"forget about it "

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sure... Forgeddaboutit.

Matt
Username: Arglife

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dan,
Assuming your wife and son have permanent or temporary residence in Argentina then the process of getting a DNI shouldn't be too bad. Here is the official information on how to get an Argentinian DNI (as a foreigner) (in Spanish).
If your family don't have "official" residence in Argentina then I don't think they'll be eligible for a DNI.

(Message edited by admin on January 04, 2008)

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 117

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am confused. When I became a legal resident of Argentina, part of the process was getting my DNI. I thought the two were one and the same. Without a DNI you were not a resident.

Can you be a resident without a DNI? Well, I guess you can LIVE in Argentina on a tourist visa and cross the border, but legally speaking, residency includes a DNI. My guess is that these people are not "residents" at all but will need to begin the process.

Matt
Username: Arglife

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No Arial, the first part of the process is applying for your residence (be it permanent or temporary), then once you have that (just a piece of paper) you can apply for a DNI, but you are not obliged to apply for a DNI as far as I know.

The admin edited my post with the DNI application process in English so if anyone needs further details please PM me.

In Dan's case it sounds like he first needs to apply for residence for his family, which I assume wouldn't be a problem since he's a Uruguayan citizen. Then they should apply for DNI's since in theory with DNI's they wont need to present their passports when crossing over to Uruguay (Mercosur agreement).

Keith Mangan
Username: Kreation

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all;
From what i have figured out its a case of with a DNI you are entitled to stay;work and pay taxes;residency means you can just stay here and they will bill you for everything; my wife is argentine and we are expecting a child soon so maybe this doesnt apply to everyone; but i can only speak from experience.
For my DNI ;I had to get my birth certificate;marraige and local police (country of origen) report translated and apostiled; I got everything translated here in argentina and got them sent back to Irleand for the apoostile....( its just an expensive stamp) through our embassy.
Immigration here in BA were friendly as hell and answered all questions we had.We went to the extra-mercosur place in retiro and I havent seen better work ethic since people hawking irish flags at ten times the price at a local rugby match,they were great with us.Maybe your family can do the same????
Right now I am being contacted with updates every 2-3 days and everything seems great..Fingers crossed I can stay and work here without a hastle.
I cant tell you how beneficial immigration were; so I advise a quick trip down to ask your Q's... then leave and get it sorted..
Go early as the lines get long....(7.A.M.)

Best wishes
Keith

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration