How to obtain permanent residence in ... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » How to obtain permanent residence in Argentina? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

juju
Username: Juju

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am married to an Argentinian man (I have a USA passport).
What should I do? must I contact the Argentina embassy in USA or fly to Buenos Aires and contact the migracion ministry? What visa type is actually the permanent residence ? (I don't want the tourist visa which I must renew every 3 months that is rediculous)

Someone mentined using afnvisas.com. They are in Argentina. does this mean I must initiate the process in Argentina?

Thank you for any help

Stevie-g
Username: Stevieg

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK...

I am in a similiar situation. My father is Argentino. I am from the US, but work in Eastern Europe. In Aug. I plan to semi-retire to Argentina. I did alot of research and went through a long ordeal in Febuary...

I assume you are in the United States. You will have an Argentine Embassy in your "Region". If you go the the New York Argentine Embassy web site they have an in-depth web site with lots of information. I spoke with both the New York Embassy and the Argentine Embassy at Washington DC, due to the fact my last home fell in the DC region. Basically you can intiate the process from the U.S. at the Embassy, but it will take over a year!

The better option is to go to Argentina:

You will need: Your Birth certificate (from the State of birth not Hospital copy, you must get it Appostiled, translated and "stamped" by college of Translators in Argentina), FBI Record check (Argentina will only accept record if it is less then 6 mos. old, and needs to be translated same as Birth certificate), US. Passport (all pages photo copied, if passport is of "old" type you must get it translated), An Argentina Criminal Record check (takes 8 hours and cost 50 pesos, and Argentina only accepts it if it is less then 6 mos. old). You will need your' husbands DNI (all pages photo copied).

With all these documents you can go to Migraciones in BA, Argentina. Here is where I made my first error. I have a home in Rosario, which is in the Province of Sante Fe. So after waiting in line all morning I was told I had to go to the Rosario office! Once in the Rosario office I was told that all my paper work was in order except my criminal record check was not the right type! I spoke with the Washington DC embassy who stated I needed a local criminal record check for 5 years (translated and appostiled), which I had. Well, in Rosario they stated that they only accepted an FBI criminal record check! The supervisor assured me that all my paper was in order and when I return with the FBI record check my paper work would be competed. She further stated I would receive a temporary DNI the same day (temporary DNI is a sheet of paper with all your information, thumb print, and photo.) With the temp. DNI you can do everything you can with a regular DNI...which in Argentina is EVERYTHING! The temp. DNI expires after 6 months.

I hope this helps...

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 362

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Steve and welcome
Good job, concise and too the point.
Thanks for the information

Stevie-g

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did forget two other documents you will need; Marriage certificate (Appostiled and translated), Husbands Birth certificate...

Carmen Stigliano
Username: Carmen

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Juju,

It would be much better for you to enter the country as a tourist and once in BA apply for your Permanent Residency.

Based in what you said and asuming you are saying you are born in the USA, to obtain Permanent Residency as spouse of Argentine Citizen you will need some documents that you should get while you are in the USA and some you will get in BA.

Basic Documents:

a) Your Original Birth Certificate

b) Apostille for your Birth Certificate

c) Original Marriage Certificate

d) Apostille of the Marriage Certificate

e) USA Police Records: One for you and one for your husband

f) Apostille of each USA Police Record in case it is not an FBI Criminal Record.

g) Argentine Police Record one for you and one for your husband requested at the Registro Nacional de Reincidencia.

h) Valid USA Passports for you and your husband

Then you will need a translation of the documents to Spanish including the Apostille done by a Public Translator and have them all Certified by the Colegio de Traductores.

Although you can do it yourself for your convenience I suggest to hire a Certified Immigration Assistant to present the application for you before the Direccion Nacional de Migraciones Authorities, since it could be a little bit overwhelming for you to go through all the administrative process with no help. If you have any further question please do not hesitate in e-mailing me.

Carmen Stigliano

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen, thank you.

Any chance you can post here contact information for a reliable "certified immigration assistant"? I will be coming down there with my non-argentine wife soon and would want her to have her own DNI... I was told this was as simple as getting to a 'registro civil" office with the certificate of marriage, her birth certificate and my own DNI and she would be given one promptly but it looks that is not the case.

sean giovanni
Username: Giovanni

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Please explain what appostile is. Is that what we call notarized in the States?

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Apostille is an international convention. Basically the government of the original country certifies the document is authentic.

Stevie-g

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Apostille is an international certification which certain countries subscribe to under the "Hauge" treaty.

In the united states each state has a specific office that will "Apostille" documents. This office usually falls under the Dept. of State. Example: I was born in New Jersey. I received my birth certificate from the State of New Jersey office of vital statistics (not hospital copy!), I then mailed it to the New Jersey Department of State. A few weeks later they mailed me my Document with a second page attached which is the Apostille. Each state has a different cost; New Jersey was $25.00, and North Carolina was $10.00.

I was told the process is very straight foward if you are the spouse or child of an Argentine citizen.(as long as you have all the documents and the time to sit in lines for a couple of days).

I am going through the process and hopefully when I return in August everything will be done!!

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 364

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good start Stevie

An Apostile is an official document issued by the proper state or federal governing authority of one nation that states and certifies that the document that it is attached to is true and correct and legally valid and can be depended on by the foreign government for the purpose that they required the origional document. In other words, the paper attached to this paper is real.

I was born in Kentucky and needed my birth certificate for use in Argentina. The Kentucky Bureau of Vital Statistics that issues copies of birth certificantes of people born in the Commonwealth of Kentucky knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked them about the apostille. I paid with a credit card, they made the copy and properly "signed it" which is required, they carried it down to the Kentucky Department of State who then preparied the Apostille, and then they fedexed it to me at a fraction of the cost that I would have paid had I gone to pick it up in person. It took a couple of days. It was beautiful, a very impressive document with a blue ribbon(I am not kidding) attached with the state seal on it. I thought I had won the state fair. But reality is this was a document going to a(any) foreign government that had to look impressive, the proper pomp and circumstance if you will.

When I got to Buenos Aires both documents had to be translated and the translation had to be notarized by an official Argentine Notary public.

Even though it sounds horrifyingly complicated the government officials on both ends know exactly how to get it done.

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I want to add one comment about the apostille that is true at least in the State of Florida. In applying for my residency, all documents (almost all) had to be notarized by a Notary Public and then apostilled by the Secretary of State's office.

I had a few problems. This can be more difficult than most people have any idea, getting one government agency to comply with the requirements of another that does not understand how the first one works. At least that was my experience. I could tell you guys some real stories! (I hope the rest of you have it a lot easier!)

I learned from the Secretary of State's office in Florida that the office of the Secretary of State is the licensing authority for all Florida notaries. All that the Secretary of State does is certify (apostille) that the notary who notarized the signature on the document is a genuine notary licensed by the state. That's it! They do not guarantee the authenticity of the document itself.

Really this is a technicality because Argentina wants to see the apostille. But this is the meaning of the apostille in the State of Florida. Arial

juju

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't have my original birth certificate! I was born in a very old hospital and it has since burned down (It was old and had fire violations!)

Oh no! What do I do??? I have a copy.

juju

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

'notarized by a Notary Public and then apostilled by the Secretary of State's office. '

That is a lot. What does that mean? What is a notary public?
Assume I have my birth certificate. Who must certify it first or translate it?

juju

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you every one for your very helpful information
I will try to gather my documents and certify them apostille them etc and initiate the process in the beautiful Argentina.

Carmen, I agree with Roberto:
Who may I contact (law firm in BA, association, organisation etc) for a reliable "certified immigration assistant"? Is it ARCA.com or AFN Visas.com

Carmen Stigliano

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Hague Conference is an intergovernmental convention which set about establishing a simplified system to allow documentation originating in one member country, to be easily recognised as authentic in another member country. The norms were established at The Hague Convention of 6th of October 1961.

This is done by issuing an Apostille. An Apostille is a French word meaning certification so, it is a documentary device by which a government department, usually the State Department, Justice Ministry or Foreign Ministry, authenticates a document as genuine, thereby legalizing it for use in another member country under the terms laid out in 1961.

Once a document has been Apostilled, thereby providing official government authentication of the signatures and stamps appearing on it, it is automatically deemed legalised for use in another member country.

An Apostille consists of the following:

(a) name of country from which the document emanates;

(b) name of person signing the document;

(c) the capacity in which the person signing the document has acted;

(d) in the case of unsigned documents, the name of the authority which has affixed the seal or stamp;

(e) place of certification;

(f) date of certification;

(g) the authority issuing the certificate;

(h) number of certificate;

(i) seal or stamp of authority issuing certificate;

(j) signature of authority issuing certificate.

The Apostille become a favoured form of validation of documents worldwide.

Carmen

Carmen Stigliano

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

To have a DNI she will need to have first her Permanent Residency here, I don't know if she has it yet or not. That is done before the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones. Once she has the Permanent Residency she will have to apply for her DNI at the Registro Nacional de las Personas.

Juju & Roberto:

We apply for Residencies before the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones and DNI's before the Registro Nacional de las Personas on behalf of our clients. It will be a pleasure to assist you, so please feel free to contact me at cs@baknowhow.com.ar or 4865 0084 so we can see your case with much more specification.

Carmen

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 365

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Juju
Here is the name of a licensed translator who did some work for me. You will need your US documents translated. She translatd my birth certificate and the apostille and had the translation notarized by the notarial college there in Buenos Aires.
She speaks fluent English. The cost was reasonable.

T.P. Margarita Moschetti
margaritamoschetti@yahoo.com
or
margaritamoschetti@fibertel.com.ar
her telephone number is 4372 9744, from the US you must dial
011 54 4372 9744

Stevie-g

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Juju,

The copy of your' birth certificate is probably the hopsital copy, which will not do you any good..

I was in the same situation. You need to find out which state agency,where you were born, has a record of your birth. They do not want the hospital copy! Again for New Jersey it is the Office of Vital Statistics. Once I had the birth certificate I mailed it to the New Jersey Department of State and had it Apostilled. The birth certficate did not have to be notorized (due to the fact it was a state document).

Also, note that if you do it in Argentina they will not take a local criminal record check! They want the FBI criminal record check. The Argentine Embassy, in DC, gave me the wrong information saying I only needed the local criminal record check. Once at Migraciones I was told they only accepted the FBI record check. They also stated all my other paper work was perfect.

I gathered all my paper work from the United States via mail, so it can be done!

In refernce to what Carmen states...

I am not sure what you are saying...Are you refering to a CDI? In Rosario Migraciones issues you a Temporary DNI, the same office issues you a permanant DNI with in six months. A CDI (certificado Domicilio) is issued from the local Police station. It takes about a week and just shows you have a residence in Argentina...

Am I mistaken??

Steve

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, I believe a few numbers are missing... Try 011 5411 4372 9744.

Thank you, Carmen. Emailing you tonight.

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I dont know anything about certifying attorneys for immigration work. Thats new to me. AFN was recommended to me by a relocation company. I signed a power of attorney authorizing them to represent me with migraciones. In my case, I needed their help. Argentina required some things that I could not comply with but they were able to resolve those issues. I am scheduled to appear in Buenos Aires on April 27 for approval for my DNI. Ill let you all know how it goes. Arial

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 367

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Roberto

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 368

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Roberto for the correction

WTMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As I am sure a few posters on this thread have already found out - the totally wrong way to do it was suggested way up above.

The Apostille info is good - and really it is so easy you just go pay your local govt authority to have them or a referred govt agency stamp the standard apostille stamp on a notarized document, no matter what your home country is. Unless your home country doesnt belong to the Hauge deal.

The absolutle best way to get fresh resident visas is to get it from the Argentine consulate (1st choice) or Argentine embassy (second choice if no consulates near you) in your home country. The process is not even close to one year by nature, in fact - within just a few months if you are timely with the info you need to get them.

Tyring to do it locally in BA or in a province will indeed take lots more of your time, and take MUCH longer in the vast majoruty of the cases. Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration