Cheapest way to Fly Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Cheapest way to Fly « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

robert
Username: Absolutcarib

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi im trying to get directly to Iguazu in Misiones at the beginning of April.

Would it be cheaper to fly to from New York JFK to Buenos Aires and then bus it north to Iguazu in Misiones?

Or may be cheaper New York JFK to Sao Paulo in Brasil and then head south? Iguazu is the first town after crossing the Brasil/Argentina border..

Also, when are the best times to purchase an airline ticket when trying to save money?

If anyone can help it would be great, thanks.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Robert, I am pretty sure flying to Iguazu from Buenos Aires is inexpensive all year round. My preference would be to get to Buenos Aires and fly to Iguazu. Whatever money you might save by taking a bus will not be much and will be offset by the 13 hour/overnight trip. This will be specially noticeable in a short stay trip like the one you are planing to Iguazu (you don't need more than 3 nights there). Taking the San Pablo route actually involves landing on a 3rd country with all the complications this might involve... More customs, another airliner, etc... How were you planning to cross the border once in Brazil? And are you aware that american citizens actually need a visa to enter this country? These questions may give a clue as to which is the easiest route...

Robert
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto thanks very much for your response.

Well I do have a 5 year visa for Brasil and have been to Argentina twice and lived in Iguazu for 4 months...I know the area pretty well.

Last time I flew...using Varig Airlines I flew from JFK to GRU in Sao Paolo to Curitiba to Foz do Iguacu and then crossed the border into Argentina on a bus..

I paid about 1400 USD which still looked less expensive than the fairs that I was finding from New York to Buenos Aires...but then again I did buy the ticket only 2 weeks before flying..

My goal would to be to try to find a flight around 900 USD round trip, but im guessing id have to buy it far in advance...Ill keep the forum posted on any good deals and maneuvers I can find in order to pass along the opporotunities.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That will be good, Robert. Yes, usd 900 would be cheap considering a flight NYC-BUE-IGZ. Good luck!

Robert
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again Roberto. Great job with the forum!

c.o.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi - my significant other is returning to Buenos Aires for work for what might turn out to be a lot of time. I ca\n't move there at this point. I am trying to figure out cheap ways to visit him frequently. There are no courier services available anymore that I can find. I did find a priceline.com ticket in April for $485. Does anyone have any information about courier services (LEGAL ONES) and/or cheap cheap ways of getting to my second home and my honey?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Uh, that usd $485 is a good deal. I can't remember having flown from Miami any cheaper than that. Are those courier services still around? Last time I heard about this was about a decade ago... I am curious too.

co
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto - Thank you so much for getting back to me.

I did it on priceline. I then switched to May and got $410 with taxes. In the past we used a travel agency in NY that was Argentina travel mostly and we got a great non-stop at a cheap but not surprising fare (carbone in queens). The priceline is with a stopover and they decide when you fly. Luckily from NY it's always the same deal so I pretty much know my stopover times etc.

I guess I was just hoping to do a courier deal for like nothing. nothing is a great number. thank you again.
best, C.O.

Eunice Venables
Username: Ojosverde

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone have any info about air travel...leaving from Miami to BA and then on to Mendoza - Are there any preferred airlines to check out?
Gracias

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just as a reference Buenos Aires - Mendoza - Buenos Aires is usd $246 per person, taxes included (Aerolineas Argentinas). Can't help with the Miami leg. I just paid close to usd $1000 myself...

Dori Lee
Username: Koala_d

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Travelzoo is offering a $499 RT price from Miami to Buenos Aires through November 2006. I thought that was pretty good! I live near Seattle, and it's cheaper for me to fly to Miami and then leave from there for Buenos Aires.... saves me hundreds of dollars!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dori, that is a cheap cheap rate. I went to their site and didn't know how to search... Can you post the Travelzoo link with the rate here? I'd like to see what it is about...

Dori Lee

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the Travelzoo link with the $499 airfare. I could get tickets here if I decide on September, so they still have seats. http://airfare.travelzoo.com/international-airfare /239437

Dori Lee

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or, go to www.travelzoo.com Then click on Airfare sales, International. The third group of specials has the $499 R/T airfare to Brazil, Argentina, or Peru.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 507
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, did you actually went in there and try to find those rates? I searched a bit and none of the rates were cheaper than usd $590 for the period publicized as $499 (Mia-Bue-Mia). With taxes, none of the rates had a final price lower than usd $850. I paid in high season last month usd $950 with taxes so not much of a difference...

Once you are ready, check Travelzoo to see how real they are but also contact directly AA and AR (the tickets they were offering) and compare. You can also contact us and I will be happy to show you the Galileo screen tickets. You will be surprised to see there are no differences or that they are tiny...

That usd $499 is either a trip with 2 stops (takes close to 24 hours to arrive from Miami!!) or it's just a bait. But you can try to prove me wrong and I am all ears :-)

Mark
Username: Txrugger

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to sort of take a 90-degree turn on this thread, but how do I go about finding internal flights within Argentina? I priced a r/t to PI, and it came up $750 per ticket.

My wife and I are traveling for three weeks and change in ARG starting the 23rd of September (we're in BA for the previous 8 days for an over 35s rugby tourney as well as sightseeing in the capital), and have pretty much given up on flying due to the cost.

Our current plan is to take the overnight bus from BA to Mendoza, and work our way north to Salta over a couple of days shy of 2 weeks, switching bases only once. We'd hoped to fly back from there, which would give us the time to get to Iguazu Falls for a quickie so to speak, but gave it up and will bus back via Cordoba instead (not really interested in a 20 hour+ bus trip).

I have to say, it's been a real struggle trying to cut down on the moving about, with as large as the country is, and the limited time we have to see it.

Regards,
Mark

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 695
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mark, welcome. Actually, your comments are appropriate for this thread since the days of cheap tickets are coming to an end quickly. Last week, the last of the airlines -Lan- where we could help our customers with flying on the cheap, has raised prices equivalent to the ones AA has. Flying inland has become expensive. We have had some customers changing to buses...

Yes, travel logistics in Argentina are not easy due to distances and sometimes lack of services/infrastructure. With three weeks to spare you can cover all those destinations comfortably even by bus.

Check with Erna for a 2 night package to Iguazu with flights inlcuded and see if she can lower that number: erna@travelsur.net

Mark
Username: Txrugger

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Roberto. I will give her a shout.

A. D. Hudgens
Username: Hijo_de_tejas

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried to use Aerolineas Argentinas web site to find the cost of two adult tickets from Buenos Aires to Bariloche to Buenos Aires, departing 16 Nov 06, returning 26 Nov 06. I was shocked at the cost of $1533. I thought argentina was trying to increase the tourist business. This makes travel to this country very expensive compaired to the USA and other American countries. Do I have other options?

Thank you for this very informative forum.
A.D.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

AD, we recently noted that prices of tickets have risen dramatically. Just another example of the lack of long term planning and how things can end or change abruptly. Whatever some branch of the government had planned regarding tourism must have come into conflict with other domestic interests. Why don't you email Erna tomorrow and see if she can find anything for you? erna/@/travelsur.net (withouth the slashes)

A. D. Hudgens

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Roberto.
I will contact Erna about other airlines or times. A bus may be an option also. Do you have any websites with a bus company schedule. Do Argentina have a first class bus with wide seats and WC on board? How do most local business people travel within the country? Do buses go to most of the small towns or only to the major cities? What about trains? Has anyone had a good experiences with transportation other than flying or driveing?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On this site you can type your destination (small towns included) and you will first see the different towns that go by such names, on clicking the right one you will access the bus companies that attend this route and further clicking on each company will lead to their scheduling.

It is not the greatest site on earth but will give a good indication of when and who. And the phone number for each company is listed as well. I have called the companies listed numerous times and always got an answer, even though it may take a while to answer the phone in some of them.

Train, I'd say forget about it. At least for now. Many, many argentines who do business inland use the long-distance bus system. Depending on the destination, you might be able to use the "executive" service which has flat beds (there are 130 degrees and 180 degrees beds) plus bathroom, and breakfast service. This is a good option in light of the rising prices... I would not know about "wide seats". This may be a problem considering we, argentines, are usually smaller in size than our american counterparts.

Erna is the owner of this website, by the way. She is also the owner of the travel agency I always mention. She never posts here because she is busy handling clients in Buenos Aires so I help her out by maintaining the forum and the pages. I am her son. So that is our little story. Good luck.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 171

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aerolineas Argentinas is not the national airline of Argentina. It once was but not any more. It is Spanish owned, as in Spain. What the nation of Argentina is trying to do does not necessarily affect what a commercial airline charges for its fairs. The price of jet fuel has gone up in the last couple of years. Aerolineas has also been hit by labor stoppages that has forced the airline to pay a somewhat fairer wage, compared to other air carriers, to its employees.

Buenos Aires to Bariloche is a 20 hour trip by bus so I am told. That is a long way to travel.

Unless you know someone who works for Aerolineas, the best way to book a flight is throuht a travel agent who buys blocks of tickets and sells them at a cut rate.

Eric Baeder
Username: Doggieboy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To Roberto:

"This may be a problem considering we, Argentines, are usually smaller in size than our American counterparts."

OK everyone...this is a diplomatic way of saying lardass.

;-)

Eric

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Eric, please explain the meaning of the word lardass.

I kind of sense I have been misinterpreted. I truly meant we are smaller in size. I could have also said american men are really big, in general. I lived 6 years in Mississippi and most men -at the gym- were at least 30 to 40 pounds heavier, had bigger mass and were taller than the average argentine. Average height in Argentina must be around 5'10". A 6 feet person is considered tall. But at 160/170 pounds this would be a small frame.

Same for women.

If you ask me, Miami compares 'closer' -perhaps due to the latin mix- but middle america usually has larger everything... larger soda glasses, larger rooms, larger cars, larger clothing, larger carts at the grocery store... My ex-wife (american) many times mentioned this to me when we traveled to Argentina together. She was surprised at the size of things, in the beginning.

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All
Talking about flying/Cheap tickets/Price hikes.
I have a guest coming over in December, and he asked me the following question. I also suggested to him to join travelsur forum. So most likely he will ask the same question again.
SO here it is :
"I suppose you know that Aerolineas Argentinas has really raised their plane
fares for foreigners. For folks from the U.S., the fare is now $297.63 (USD)
one way from Mendoza to Buenos Aires. The fare for Argentines who buy their
tickets in Argentina is $276.13 pesos (about $90 USD). I also just checked out
LAN Chile and their fare is $125.43 USD. My hunch is that I should book the
flight on LAN Chile rather than find (via Internet) a travel agent in Mendoza to
book Aerolineas flights for us (and risk having the tickets voided if the
airport people ask us for proof that were from Argentina). Does this seem like
the sensible thing to do (ie, book LAN Chile from here and soon)?"
Thanks all

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all..
Can Roberto tell me what the current price of a luxury bus from BA to Mendoza is?
Is it possible to make a reservation in advance and not be in BA to do that?
Its amazing that is costs almost double the price to go from BA to Mendoza return than it is to travel from Mendoza to Rio return.
Welcome to Argentina!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, you can do this Riyad. Erna has a ticketing office around the corner (for buses). Today's prices for roundtrip BA-Mendoza are:

usd $ 112 (coche-cama)
usd $ 134 (executive)

Far more expensive than in the past.

LAN is cheaper and those prices are better than the ones we can get, so go ahead.

Eric Baeder
Username: Doggieboy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto:

"Eric, please explain the meaning of the word lardass."

While I can appreciate the fact that many of the Americans that you saw at the gym were fit and larger than their Argentinian counterpart, I gotta say that the average American doesn't even know where the gym is, much less spending time working out. We have the biggest backsides in the world and I'm afraid that our extra weight might throw the globe of of it's axis, making global warming a secondary problem.

I would have responded sooner to your question except I had to pick up a box of donuts.

Eric

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 186

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I find it very strange that a ticket is three times as much for a foreigner than it is an Argentine for a fair from Mendoza to Buenos Aires.

The fuel and labor costs are the same.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,

fuel+labor+argentina = {insert arbitrary result}

Foreigners fall in a different "class" in the airline ticketing system. I will double check this tomorrow.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 188

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aerolineas is an international air carrier owned by a Spanish company. Wouldn't that make the only foreigners someone who is not a citizen of Spain.

I have several friends who work for the company including the director of sales for North America. Competition, supply and demand are the variables that drive the business world normally.

I put in the qualifier to protect the statement from what some would say irrational nationalistic concerns even though I do not see how they apply to Aerolineas.

Aerolineas competes in a very tight profit driven market. It just seems to me a two thirds rate cut is a little odd.

It will be interesting to see what you are able to find. thanks for taking the time to check.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 731
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bue-Men-Bue on LAN

Foreigners:
usd $ 401

Argentines
usd $ 256

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That should pretty much kill foreign tourism this country badly needs. Amazing!
Roberto; Are these bus rides from BA to Mendoza, you quoted, now in US Dollars???
Or is it a typo??

James Guglielmino
Username: Jgug1

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

<<Bue-Men-Bue on LAN

Foreigners:
usd $ 401 Argentines, usd $ 256

How do they tell who is Argentinean and who isn't? Do you have any insight into why the rate is different for Argentineans?
Seems pretty stupid.
Gug

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riyad, those are air tickets, not buses.

JG, airline companies require passports to issue tickets through travel agents. Airlines have set a special class for turists. They split the cabin in different classes named after letters. Someone posted prices on bus travel on another thread.

Traveling by bus

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto.. You said
usd $ 112 (coche-cama)
usd $ 134 (executive)
coche cama is Bus

A. D. Hudgens

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Riyad Anabtawi,
Thank you for putting me on to LAN.com for flights within Argentina. It cost much less than Aerolineas. I booked a November flight: BA – Bariloche – BA, US$ 313 (taxes and all included) on LAN compared to US$ 766 on Aerolineas. A free market will always serve the consumer and the nation better than controls. I don’t know what is going on with Argentina Aerolineas but they will get the message if people stop flying with them.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, Riyad... I thought you meant post # 731

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 735
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> That should pretty much kill foreign tourism this country badly needs.

From what we see, there was an initial reaction but foreigners would still consider destinations in Argentina worth a premium so clients are coming back. Will for sure keep away the opportunist traveler that only saw it as a cheaper alternative to other destinations but for the last 4 years word has spread enough guaranteeing a continuous flow of visitors. Mostly everything remains fairly inexpensive to europeans and americans. Time will tell...

Lisa
Username: Eyetacs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone help me with airfare and what it will cost approximately. We have our flight from the US to BA. Need inland flights only. Here is our itenerary:

Day 1&2: BA: overnight
Day 3 & 4: Fly to Iguaza Falls
Day 5 -7: Fly to Trelew
Day 8 & 9: Fly to ushuaia
Day 10 & 11: Fly to Baraloche or El Calafate (optional)
Day 12: Back to BA

Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lisa...

An air ticket that includes all destinations (Bue - Iguazu - Trelew - Calafate - Ushuaia - Bue) would be:

usd $ 1585 per person (taxes included)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration