Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Travel in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Riyad Anabtawi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all.. Can you help a friend of mine with his inquiry?
Cheers.

On leaving BA in Feb. I go to Mendoza just as we have done in the last 2 years by air. However this year I'm considering renting a car & driving because there are 1) 4 persons(2 will return by air) 2) We'd like to see some of the countryside 3) we need a car in Mendoza for 2 weeks 4) It will be cheaper 5) we can travel in it for a further 2 weeks before returning.
So what are the roads like between BA & Mendoza? Is it a crazy idea? Is a gentle tour via interesting places on our way back to BA feasible? Does one save money?
Thanks!

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Road it's ruta 2. There is no much to see. A few villages, and almost arriving a policeman who ask everyone where are you coming from and where are you going. I did the trip 2 times and I'll probably do it one more time this year. The road it's straight and well mantained. Last time I was 23 years old, riding a 328 BMW and a sweet brunette girl at my side.
I ran for the first time 220 km/h for some kilometers. Watch out the trucks. My record it's BA to MZA in 10 hours and 30 minutes, non stop. On the money issue: Let me expalin you this: Money it's not everything. How much does freedom cost?

Kris Sullivan
Username: Llamalover

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How available are cells in southern Argentina? We will be driving from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego and then to Torres del Paine and Bariloche. Is it worth buy a cell phone in BA and using it further south? Are roaming charges really high?

Thanks.

Ernesto Juan Reid
Username: Ernie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cell phones are not to be entirely relied upon in Patagonia, except when you reach big towns. Distances in the Patagonia are huge and especially during the last legs of your trip, there are places between towns without any signal at all. Costs of roaming are high.

I hope this helps!

Cheers
Ernie

christiana papadopoullos
Username: Christiana

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all
My friends and I are due to visit Argentina from the end of July until the beginning of September this year and we have a few questions. We were hoping to travel to Patagonia but I believe the weather and conditions are unsuitable. Is this true?? If it is possible to go what gear would you recommend. If it is not possible we were hoping to do an anticlockwise circuit of the Northern part of Argentina starting and ending in Buenos Aires (including the Iguazu Falls and some hiking in the Andes). Would this be possible? What do you think the weather will be like? What clothes would you recommend?
Very much appreciated

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Christiana, welcome! Patagonia is very large and weather -although cold across the region- differs in its intensity. Deep patagonia, places such as Calafate and Ushuaia, present some complications in that days become shorter therefore you will have less daylight to enjoy the trip. Some tours may also be unavailable. For example, most ranches in Calafate close for stay. Other places are more benign, like Bariloche, where you can have an excellent ski vacation. The rest of the attractions in patagonia are just fine, but cold nevertheless (Chubut > Puerto Madryn and Valdes).

Another consideration for a trip like this is that you will need a sizeable amount of clothing as you will have to pack for very cold weather but warm and somewhat tropical in Iguazu. Finally, this will be the busy season where kids are on vacation and families hit the road so better prepare your trip well.

Plus whatever Larry posted here

(Message edited by admin on June 05, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration