Things to bring? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Things to bring? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MB Nelson
Username: Eticket

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Will be in BsAs for 2 months starting 6 December 2007. Anyone have suggestions on what to bring that you simply can't find in there? ie - peanut butter. Someone said that curry powder is really hard to find? Same with canned coconut milk? Can you find Metamucil (guess that gives our ages away!)?

Would love suggestions on things you wish you had there!

thx - MBN

larry Rogers
Username: Larryr30

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

MB Nelson,
I'm an American living here in Alto Palermo and from my experience anything and everything is right around the corner for the most part...not sure about coconut milk, but I'm sure if you found it the can would come along.

Chimin Roberto if you would disagree, but in my opinion they (BA) has a place where you can purchase about everything and sometimes its information overload; then you have to deal with that! If they don't have exactly what you are looking for, they will have a substitute...including a Burger king and Mcdonalds on every third corner walking down Sante Fe.

Take care

Beverly Adams
Username: Beverly

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello MB Nelson,

I live in Esquel in Patagonia and I can buy coconut milk and curry powder in my small town. Another Expat told me that peanut butter is available in the Chinatown district in BA. I think Jumbo is Palermo has Jiffy Peanut Butter and some other American foods.

Check out the health food/bulk food stores for good spices and other things that the traditional supermarkets may not have.

I don't know about Metamucil, sorry.

What do I miss? Grape jelly, maple syrup, chili powder, Mexican ingredients, ranch dressing and probably a few other things. But the food here is really good and it's easy to make most substitutions.

Beverly

Juan
Username: Callmejuan

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MB Nelson,
Regarding products like curry powder and others I agree with Larry and Beverly. You can find Metamucil at some Farmacias. Check this site in spanish: http://www.pg.com.ar/pg/productos/cuidado_salud/metamucil.html
Have a nice trip!

(Message edited by admin on November 03, 2006)

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 264

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Things you definitley will get good prices on are leather goods and wine.

Electonics for the most part are very expensive, more so than in the US

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As far as I know no A1 sauce. Neither cranberry sauce for your thanksgiving meal. And if you are bringing gifts, no pecan pies. No pecans actually. Coffees have no flavors like the american type and nothing really. I used to make a living cooking hand-made candy in north Mississippi, a simple sugar burnt peanut, and someone once asked me if I had the same candy with orange, mint and/or cinnamon flavor. Here, food is strictly as conceived originally.

Beverly Adams
Username: Beverly

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

I get pecans here, in the shell, and so far have made one pecan pie! I've also found them in Bariloche.

And a friend our ours buys Cranberry Sauce at the Walmart in Neuquen.

Beverly

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 825
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That goes to show that is better to trust an american living in Argentina than an argentine with older information living in the US. Thank you, Beverly.

Max Kirsch
Username: Max

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you own and are planning to bring a Mac, do bring anything you need with it-- it is available but at least double and triple the price. Other than that, I truly miss real sponges. Silly, yes, but I really do not like the plasticized stuff that you find here. I have actually gone as far as asked a friend to send them from the U.S.... Max

Michael Alan Shirley
Username: Mashirley35

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

On leaving BA in Feb. I go to Mendoza just as we have done in the last 2 years by air. However this year I'm considering renting a car & driving because there are 1) 4 persons(2 will return by air) 2) We'd like to see some of the countryside 3) we need a car in Mendoza for 2 weeks 4) ?it will be cheaper 5) we can travel in it for a further 2 weeks before returning.
So what are the roads like between BA & Mendoza? Is it a crazy idea? Is a gentle tour via interesting places on our way back to BA feasible? Does one save money?
Thanks! Michael

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, check here

cathy mcniven
Username: Cathnniv

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm from Australia and want to bring some Vegemite for my Argentinian family to try is this ok to bring through customs? do you need to declare it as it's food?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cathy, I think your best bet will be to contact the airline company you will be using for your international flight. They usually know what can be brought in. Since this is a processed/packaged food -and you can always claim it's for personal use- it may be ok, but foods in general may have their own regulation. Better to contact those who should know.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration