Argentina weather tips needed... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Argentina weather tips needed... « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Meeuws (Kodro)
Username: Kodro

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, everybody!

My girlfriend and I are planning our honeymoon to Argentina! We have booked a flight to Buenos Aires on Aug 22nd and are returning to Paris Sept 9th. I know it's winter in that period, but I hope this won't be a problem.
What will the weather be like? Any idea? Which regions can we best visit in this period? I guess it might be very cold in the mountains?
We have about 3 weeks to visit Argentina, which route can you advise? We definitely want to visit Buenos Aires, the Iguazu falls and Patagonia, if possible.

Thank you for all your help!!!

roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to our forums, Jan!

Three weeks is plenty of time to discover most of what Argentina has to offer. Your honeymoon is going to be great.

Answering your inquiry, the weather varies depending on the region. Argentina spreads over latitude as opposed to longitud, so the weather in Iguazu, up north, is completely different than the weather down south.

That time of the year represents the end of winter. Spring begins on September 21st and by beginning of this month weather is already very mild. There had been great weather changes lately -perhaps as a result of global warming- so predicting temperatures based in the past may not work. This past winter was very warm in Buenos Aires and I can anticipate that end of August - beginning of September, Buenos Aires weather will be as warm and comfortable.

In the southern states, end of August is also the end of ski season, like in Bariloche. To the west, in the Andean region, ski season might even be shorter. Mountains will be cold no matter what.

The time of the year you are going to be here is actually great for visiting just about any region in Argentina. For a closer look at what you could find when you and your future wife come, I recommend that you check our destinations in Argentina page. You will find a good overview of regions and how to choose the destinations that will make you happy.

(Message edited by admin on February 14, 2005)

Ashley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello
I'm a high school student and will be spending this summer as an exchange student in Argentina. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the weather of Buenos Aires in June and July, or what type of clothing is considered typical and acceptable for teenage girls. Any other tips would be great too. Thanks!

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Ashley and welcome!

June/July is rainy season in Buenos Aires. It is also our winter, so you should bring some heavier clothes with you or get some while down there. But do not despair. These last couple of years -perhaps due to global warming- winters have been surprisingly warm. In fact, last June when I was there I had to wear a T-shirt in a few occasions. A bit sad I must say, since this change in weather patterns may not be the result of something positive.

Back to your inquiry... Winter is a lot milder than NY's so that you have an idea. And there is no snowing. There maybe a few days here and there that get pretty cold but that is about it. As for teenage attire, I think the average girl wears very comfortable clothing, nothing fancy and nothing conservative. Teenages may or may not embrace current fashions but generally speaking they let their somewhat rebellious side out and dress accordingly, or they may also dress somewhat sexy... yeah, they have no problems in trying to look as attractive as they can. Hopefully, there will be other opinions.

Ashley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you very much for the advice. As part of my exchange I have to bring a gifts for my host family and the director of my new school. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what would be a good American souvenier.

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ashley, I think people in argentina would just be grateful to receive anything. It won't matter what is what you bring. Just the nice gesture will do.

If you insist on bringing gifts, think on anything that is local from where you are. Who knows, local cheesecakes or whatever. When I lived in Mississippi I used to bring family and friends pecan pies. And when I lived in New Orleans, everyone was happy with some bourbon. Now that I live in Miami, everyone wants speedos. So who knows...

The Director of your school might enjoy some nice wine from Nappa Valley. As for your host family I would think on something that represents your own town or City. You can consider sports too. Some of my friends in Argentina enjoy NFL games... But if you ask them, I am sure they will want electronics (but that seems too expensive as gifts). I am not being very creative tonight, sorry.

hélène ibr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hello

im Hélène, an university student from france im going to buenos aires from september 6th to october 5th to work for a NGO called Habitat. id like to know what will be the weather at the time im coming. Thanks!!!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome, Hélène!

You will be here for start of spring on September 21st. There might be a short transition between cold weather from winter but overall you should experience very pleasant weather with no humidity. Getting cooler at nights only.

John
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello
I am a high school student and need to do a report on Argentina's weather patterns, climate, temperature, you know things like that. Can you help me out?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

John, the most complete information that is available online on weather patterns for all Argentina can be found here. That page is for Ushuaia. You will have to search city by city to get the information you need. This database also includes information on precipitation.

As for more comprehensive/detailed information for each of Argentina's regions, I can try to find you this information in my geography books I have kept with me. Please email your specific inquiries to students@travelsur.net. You can also check the weather in Argentina page...

(Message edited by admin on August 28, 2005)

Dyce Williamson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas as to what the temperature/weather is liable to be like in November at Iguazu, Buenos Aires, Bariloche, and Salta. Obviously it will differ greatly and such a tour makes packing a problem.}}

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dyce. Here is an approximation:

Buenos Aires: Hi 76 / Low 55
Iguazu: Hi 84 / Low 65
Bariloche: Hi 62 / Low 41
Salta: Hi 79 / Low 58

Iguazu will also be more humid than the rest of the locations.

Ed Bouillon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We are coming to Buenos Aires for 4 days and Plata Del Mar for 2 days, leaving USA on February 15, 2006. What is the normal weather in those locations during that time? Is the weather in Santiago, Chile, similar?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ed, you can keep track of the weather in Mar del Plata real time on that page. For current weather in Buenos Aires, check that page. Historically, Buenos Aires has an average temperature of 73F during Feb. and Mar del Plata around 70F. However, weather patterns have changed in the last few years so it is difficult to tell. I am under the impression that it has gotten warmer.

As for Chile, I wouldn't know BUT you must consider that they are on the other side of the Andes and this geographic situation radically changes climate. For example, Argentina gets drier air from the west since all moisture from the Pacific is contained by the giant ridge.

Douglas Short
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello

I am coming to Argentina with my partner for our honeymoon at the beginning of August. I here the weather is mild which is a good thing as my fiancee is Scottish so she would just burn otherwise. We are flying in and out of buenos aires and will be there for just over 2 weeks. Could you advise the must sees while we are there. The Iguazu falls and Buenos Aires are top of the list. Are the overnight buses from Buenos Aires to Iguazu comfortable and how much are they.

Could you also advise any quaint/unique accomodation on route.

Thankyou

Douglas

Amanda Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola
I am studying abroad at UCA and UBA in Buenos Aires this upcoming semester (Feb 21-Jul 21). Can anyone tell me what a university female (21 years old) should pack that would be appropriate for the changing seasons as well as for the social atmosphere?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Amanda, welcome!

Buenos Aires starts getting colder around May but even in July the weather never gets awfully cold. It never gets as cold as in New York and it doesn't snow. You could see some rain around the winter months. You will also avoid the hot summer so you should pack autumn/winter clothes but not necessarily *snow-cold* clothing. Temperatures may drop at around 45/50 F by the end of your class period.

Regarding the social atmosphere young women like to dress casual most of the time. The environment, in general, is pretty open-minded. But this is the point of view of a man... I'd travel light and do plenty of shopping while down there :-)

Amanda Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Rosa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
I will be going to Argentina on april 10 to april 18.
What would be the weather?.
How would be the dressing? day and night?
Thanks
Rosa

F. Harrington
Username: Tarheel

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rosa, Argentina is a large country, very long from north to south, also there is the altitude factor. What part (s) do you expect to visit? After you state locations, Roberto and others can assist you with info.

steven tag
Username: Gardeljr

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, I live in Buenos Aires and find the weather to be mild all year round. A little warm in the summer, which is Feb, and a little cool in the winter, which is Aug. But only for a couple of weeks.

In fact it is a big secret that the weather here is great. Some people complain during the extremes, but even then, it is not so bad.

So not to worry if you are visiting Buenos Aires. Everything will be fine. It never snows, and when it rains, it rarely downpours.

The weather will be the last thing on your mind anyway. The city is vertical and you can barely see the sky.

Jan Meeuws Kodro
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Mark Belkin
Username: Belkinm

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I are planning our 25-years anniversary trip. We thought so many good things about Argentina, but are concerned whether the end of August - early September is a good time to visit. The areas we would like to see are the Buenos-Aires and Iguazu Falls. Any advice will be appreciated!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mark, welcome! A delayed answer... I'd say weather will be fine, meaning not an obstacle at all. Specially getting closer to mid/end of September. This is for both Iguazu and BA. You can check current weather on these two destinations at: todays weather in Buenos Aires and todays weather in Iguazu. And you can explore historical patterns here for Buenos Aires and for Iguazu

eleni
Username: Eleni_gr

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hello everyone!
I am planning to visit argentina this april from buenos aires down to Tierra del Fuego...can you tell what's the weather like inland? & what's the sea is like?

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, Larry, et al,

My husband and I have booked a flight to be in BA for 3 weeks in May due to a family medical issue. Can you advise me on clothing. My husband informs me it is fall in Argentina but what temperature would that be to get an idea of clothing?

Larry, remember La Tranquera? Perhaps we can all meet somewhere. I will have to get out my Rosetta Stone tapes again because I understand more than I can speak.

I love Argentina and we are seriously considering relocating within the next 3 years. Love this forum. Always check it even though I don't post frequently. It is nice to see the same people. Roberto you do an excellent job of monitoring.

Thanks for any help you can give. We didn't make it for December but we are coming for May. Just started looking for apartments and have been checking the forum for comments people have on the different agencies.

Hola to everyone.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gayle, you are always welcome!

You can look at historical weather patterns for Buenos Aires here. For current data check this page. I would say this, weather has been somewhat confusing. Last year we spent winter in Argentina and it was hot, or warmer than usual. And my last summer down there, December 07, was pretty cold, specially at night. That said, May should be somewhat chilly getting colder with some rains. For the sake of comparison, I'd say colder than San Fransisco but not really cold. I don't see Larry on this thread but perhaps he is still subscribed to the general topic and reads the message.

Cynthia Golbert
Username: Cyngo

Posted on Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in BA for ten days from August 9th. I have asked a few Friends that are from or have lived there and I have gotten very confusing feedback regarding how cold it will be and what to take. One says "Take a fall coat, you'll need it" another says "just a leather jacket", still another says "just layers with a sweater" HELP...I do not want to pack everything I own!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration