Iguazu Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Iguazu « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David King
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am coming to BA from NZ on 12 July, 2005 and leaving for Iguazu on 15. So, two full days in Buenous Aires. Could you suggest what to see within two days, please?

Is Regis (Lavalle Street) an acceptable three star hotel? I haven't booked the hotel in BA, yet.

I am staying in Foz Do Iguazu, Brazil between 15-20 July to attend a conference. I am very unsure about whether on 21/7 I should stay in Foz do Iguaze or come back to BA as my flight is on 22/7 late night. Do you think I can travel to Argentina side of falls by myself.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

David

roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello David, during those two days in Buenos Aires you can take a sight seeing tour for half day and perhaps attend a dinner tango show at night. I would use one day just to walk and enjoy the city. There are many cafes and shoppings where you can spend your time. A three stars hotel will probably be too cheap. Lavalle street is just fine but I think you can get better deals for just about the same money, in better areas. Maybe even a 4 stars hotel. Yes, you can travel to the argentine side to see the falls. There are several flight a day, so you can probably coordinate your trip back to make it on time for your return trip that night.

David King
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could you please give me some indications of weather in mid July, 2005 please? This will help me to select my dress to be taken in the trip.

(1) Buenos Aires
(2) Brazilian side of Foz do Iguazu

Thanking you for your help.

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to official statistics Buenos Aires has an average temperature of 10 C during July, but my personal experience is that most days in July are below this. July tends to have some days in the range of 0 / 5 Celsius. Generally speaking, Buenos Aires has one day of rain out of 4 throughout the year, but during winter there are even fewer rainy days. So briefly, it gets cold but it is not that bad except for a few days when the wind is blowing or humidity is high (we are a coastal city so waters make Buenos Aires humid) and it doesn't rain a lot.

As for Iguazu (I only know about the argentine side but it is probably the same thing), the average temperature during July is 15 Celsius and humidity oscilates between 75% and 90%. But it does not get as sticky as it does during summer.

Skuli
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have enough frequent flyer miles to land a free ticket to Rio de Janeiro. I wanted to fly into B.A. and out of Rio, but the airline changed their program and now I can only fly roundtrip to Rio.

Is there a cost effective way to fly from Rio to Iguazu to B.A. and to Rio? Or from Rio to B.A. to Iguazu and back to Rio?

I wasn't sure if I should book with an Argentine airline of a Brazilian airline or if there were any special fares or anything. Or what routes or airports have better fares.

I would hate to go all the way to South America and not see Buenos Aires.

Any general information is appreciated. Thanks!

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Skuli a Rio - Bue - Rio is about $350 plus taxes on TAM, then you may find for $375/425 plus taxes on Varig. Your strategy should be to fly to BUE first and then to Iguazu. A Bue - Iguazu - Bue may retail for about $240. All these pricing is in USD.

Skuli
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Roberto!

I will look into these airlines and pricing.

Jennifer Castillo
Username: Travelfan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What have you heard about the Train to the Clouds? Worthwile? Have you been on it? Should I book in advance or when I am there? What is the cheapest option for traveling from BA to Iguazu or Salta and back to Iquazu or Salta. In other words, in which order would you travel. Our start will be from BA? Are there any savings by going from the falls on to Salta and then directly back to BA?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Jennifer, the train in the clouds departs Wednesdays and Saturdays and the cost of the trip is about $75 per person. I have never done it but our passengers are usually delighted. This lasts all day. And yes, it is worthwhile since it is most unusual. Most of the time there is no need for advance bookings but you never know. The best way to handle Bue-Salta-Iguazu is by plane. And as for the route, this is to be decided at the time of booking because connection times may vary depending on the time of the year you will be traveling. I simply cannot say where to go first from Buenos Aires without having a specific date for your departure.

Walt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is the best way to book a flight from BA to Iguazu. I am flying into BA from Miami at 8AM on August 27 and was hoping to take a cab to the domestic airport and get on a flight to Iguazu, but I'm told foreigners are not allowed to make airline ticket purchases/reservations unless they are in Argentina. Is this correct?

I was hoping to spend two nights at Iguazu, then head back to BA for the rest of the week.

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Walt, of course you can purchase a ticket Buenos Aires - Iguazu - Buenos Aires abroad. The information you were told is not correct. And yes, once you have your ticket you can take a cab or a bus from Ezeiza to the local airport -Jorge Newbery- and fly to Iguazu. But you must have your ticket in advance since Iguazu is a busy destination. There are many agencies that can sell you this ticket -ours is one- and you can also buy it straight from Argentine Airlines if there is an office close to where you are. If what you want is a 2 nights package all included just contact erna at erna@travelsur.net and she will arrange this for you, including the transfer to the domestic airport.

Mark Oppenlander
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto -- In one of your messages you mention that a Bue-Iguazu-Bue round-trip airfare might retail for about $240 US. I haven't seen a price lower than about $450 round-trip. Do you know where I might book a better price? -- Mark

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Mark, as of last Friday our screens show USD $236 for the roundtrip per person. I would not know why you are informed of tickets being around $450. These prices should be official prices in any ticketing agency. If you still find it difficult to book a flight Bue-Iguazu-Bue at such price range *anywhere* you can always contact our Buenos Aires office and we'll issue an electronic ticket for you. The person you should discuss this with is Erna Rosenfeld at erna@travelsur.net.

Hugues
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We want to spend 2-3 days in Iguazu mid-nov. We will depart from BA. Is it cheaper if I book a complete tour package instead of booking separate flight, hotels, activity on my own? Can I book from BA when I arrive or better to do it from Canada now? I heard that the Brasilian side was more dangerous than Argentina, should we be extra carefull or simply apply basic traveling common senses?

Santiago Bengolea
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hugues

Mid november at Iguazu falls is great although might be hot. I recommend you stay at the Sheraton Hotel as it is close to almost all attractions ( walking distance), in the middle of the Park and with excellent view to the falls, the hotel itself is not one of the best Sheraton“s but its placement is unique.
You will need 3 day /2 nights for a non rushing tour, those natural sorroundings need you arrive in "body and soul" to take the most .
I am quite sure you will get better prices through a package and via a Argentinian Travel Agent.
Brazilian side is not dangerours , usual precautions should be taken.
One of the top attractions is the powered inflatable that rides to the Devil“s throat ( Garganta de Diablo, prepare to get really wet !
Breathtaking exp.
Avoid the helitour as it is seriously affecting ecosistem.
Finally , i would book from your home city.

Warda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi. I would like to book a flight from Bue-Iguazu-Bue at the end of December. How do I go about doing this from South Africa.I'd like to spend about 2 nights in Iguazu before returning to Bue for my connecting flight to Rio.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Warda, I believe you can book the flight through any online service. Travelocity or Orbitz comes to mind. Also, brick and mortar travel agencies like ours can book such flight for you by issuing an electronic ticket. However, if what you really want is a 2 nights package that includes the roundtrip flight you should try to find an argentine travel agent that specializes on this kind of trips. We are one such agency among many other ones.

tonys
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Roberto.
I'm trying to coordinate a trip from Mexico City to BA, Iguazu and Rio, without stopping or returning to any hub. Is there an airport on the Brazilian side of Iguazu? In other words, can I fly MEX-BUE-IGUAZU-RIO-MEX? According to Aerolinas Argentinas, I can't. They say I have to make a RT from Iguazu to BA then on to Rio. Is it possible to take a bus/trail/rental car from the Argentina side of the falls to a Brazilian airport nearby? If so, which would be closest?
Thanks for the help.
Tony

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tonys, aerolineas argentinas will not help you in this route, I am afraid. In addition, there are no easy solutions. To make it a straight route without hubs you may have to fly open jaw with any mexican airlines Mexico/Buenos Aires - Rio/Mexico and in between you will have to purchase a one way ticket with Paraguay airlines Buenos Aires / Foz do Iguazu and with any local brazilian airliners the one way Foz/Rio.

tonys
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,
Thank you for your assistance. One more question: the airport in Iguazu, is it the same one served by Aerolinas Argentinas, Varig, Pluna, etc? Or are there other airports near the falls for those individual countries. Do Brazil and Uruguay have their own airport near the falls? Or does all travel end in Argentina?
Tony

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tonys, Foz do Iguazu is on the brazilian side, so the flight Buenos Aires / Foz on Paraguay airlines (cheaper) is actually an international leg.

crystaltips
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all.. We are planning a side trip to Iguazu for 2 nights as a side trip from Rio. Could anyone suggest some nice 3-4star accomodation close to the centre? Any links for info would be appreciated. Also, this may seem like a funny question but do we need to worry about permits and such due to the brasil/argentina boundaries?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are an american citizen you do not need visa to enter Argentina. You do for Brazil but since you are visiting Rio I am assuming you will have one by the time of your trip.

crystaltips
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually were British & have been advised we don't require visa for Rio... will we be ok for the borders? silly question maybe but need to be sure...

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When traveling abroad there are no silly questions.

In fact, the border between Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay has had some unusual activity in the last couple of years, in particular, after 9/11. Rumor is, that the tri-border area has been an enclave for middle eastern operatives for a while, therefore, some american gov. agencies (their undercover employees) have settled down there too. But this is probably unrelated to anyone wanting to do tourism in the region. As a british citizen, you should just be ok in any of the bordering countries including Paraguay. Argentines hold no grudges for the Malvinas war (Falklands). Is this what your question referred to?

(Message edited by admin on December 31, 2005)

Yvonne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there,
We are travelling to BA in October, and plan to spend 2 nights in Iguassu. We were wondering how much a night bus will cost us to travel from BA to Iguassu and where we might find timetables for various bus companies. Can you help?

Thanks in advance
Yvonne

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Yvonne, look here. This company does this route. There is also information on where to buy the tickets once in Buenos Aires. Prices are in pesos at the bottom of the page. Rate of exchange is approx 2.92 (today). There is not only a timetable but also a detailed route descritpion with all stops. It's in spanish though.

Maria Salvador
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I want to travel to Iguazu Falls from Albuquerque. Where could I get the cheapest ticket?

(Message edited by admin on September 28, 2005)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maria, I am afraid I don't know :-(

David Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm planning a visit to Iguazu Falls, staying on the Argentinian side. A half day tour of the Brazilian side will require a $100+ USD visa. Is it possible to get a temporary/day visa to enter Brazil to see the falls?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

David, we are aware of this situation. A few months ago the brazilian visa was about $175/180. No, we do not know of any such thing although we have heard many stories. We have also heard that 'money speaks' in that a few greenbacks can go a long way, at the border. We have always advised our clients that are interested in crossing the border to get a full visa because the tri border is right around the corner and in the past it was rumored that this region was a terrorist enclave as well as an FBI preferred destination. We can't confirm any of this and there may be things that we just don't know or recent information we are still not aware of, like that day permit you are talking about. Most of our passengers forgo the brazilian part.

Ruslan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Roberto,

Please let me know if there is a possibility to arrange a daily (simplified) tourist visa/pass for visiting Foz do Iguaēu on the Argentinian side. I will be staying in Brazil but would like to make a short tour to the Argentinian side as well. I am a citizen of Russia residing in Switzerland (hold Russian passport).

Thank you in advance for your kind advice and Happy New Year !

Ruslan

TEFL Taster
Username: Tefl_taster

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ruslan,

As far as I know, this is not a possibility. My Friend Igor tried to get a visa for Russia and they gave him a visa for three days, the thing is, that wa his maximum, he was planning on six months and the consulate came back with, "three days". So i would just apply or check with your Russian consulate either in Bern or wherever there is one near.

TT

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ruslan, you will need a visa to enter Argentina. The best way to handle this will be to ask at the front desk of your place of stay in Foz. It is common to make day visits cross the border.

Scouse
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm British and planning a trip to the falls from Ba in June,then crossing the border onto the Brazilian side before catching a flight to Curitiba to travel on the Sierra Verde Express, before returning the process

On my return journey how long should I allow to transfer from the Brazilian airport to the airport in argentina in order to catch my flight back to Ba, or is there an easier method direct from Curitiba

And finally what's the best method of making this transfer, ie would a taxi be the best route to take and would you know an estimated cost.

any help,suggestions would be gratefully received

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scouse, could you please rephrase your inquiry? I am having a hard time understanding your needs, sorry.

Joe Nugent
Username: Miyagi777

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I have a few questions about Iguazu and Argentina. I'll be in BA for 2 days for the U2 concert in March with my wife and then another two days in Iguazu after that. I'd like your advice on some questions I have.

Buenos Aires:
Day 1:
Afternoon: some kind of tour (maybe city tour and hard rock cafe)
Evening: Tango Show/Dinner

Day 2:
Afternoon: Tour or Shopping
Evening: U2 Concert

Do you have any suggested tours or advice for Day 1&2 in the afternoon?

Iguazu Question:
Is it possible to tour the Argentinian and Brazilian side of the Falls in one day or is that too tiresome? I have 2 nights there and 1.5 Days, i'm only interested in seeing the Falls but I'd like to tour both sides and include the boat ride to the devil's throat. Can I do this in 1.5 days?

Day 1: arrive Iguazu 5PM, dinner and settle in.
Day 2: Full day for touring Falls
Day 3: Depart Iguazu 2:50PM, Can I tour the Falls in the morning and be back to my hotel around Noon?

Do you have a suggestion on which side I should tour on which day and if I can fit it all in to this schedule?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joe, for day 1 I would consider a half day tour to an estancia so that you come into contact with some of our roots. For day 2, I would consider visiting a few of the *recycled* shopping centers (Patio Bullrich, Gallerias Pacifico and Abasto). These recycled buildings are really worth visiting.

Tours to the falls include crossing the border into Brazil. However, if you are american you will be required a visa to enter Brazil. This is a full day excursion. Very likely, you will be able to take the rubber boat ride on your last day. That is a half day tour that you could accomodate in the morning of your 3rd day.

Joe Nugent
Username: Miyagi777

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Robert. Are there any guided tours for what you suggested? where can I arrange or get information on a tour the an estancia (sorry I don't even know what that means).

I do have a visa for Brazil already. Sorry could you clarify again on the Falls? Did you mean the full day excursion is to the Brazilian side and the half day tour including rubber boat ride is on the Argentina side?

Also I forgot to ask if you know what the weather is like in Bue and Iguazu at beginning of March?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joe, most travel agents -including us- offer a full day excursion that includes boths sides of the falls on the same day. The rubber boat ride happens on a different day. You can contact Erna at erna@travelsur.net and request an estimate. You should also try shopping around. The Iguazu tour is very popular and common and many agents will be in a position to give you an estimate. Same for visiting ranches (estancias) in BA. Weather is great in both destinations at the beginning of March.

Sheila
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do you know the cost of the Full Moon Tour at Iguazu Park, and how one makes reservations in advance? Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sheila, please take a look here:
Full moon tour in Iguazu

Carlos Sebastian Cabrera
Username: Carlos_cabrera

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the best way to know the province of Misiones in Argentina its in Bus, have more cities to see, like Aristobulo del Valle, Obera citie,Montecarlo, Eldorado, Puerto Esperanza , Wanda and much others... If anybody wants info, contact me...

Carlos Sebastian Cabrera

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ahh, the full moon tour in Iguazu , for locals have a cost of Pesos 70 per person, includes a dinner , and a full tour with guide.... in the past season , impossible to take this tour, too many peoples....

Lisa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm attending a wedding in B.A. in November and would very much like to see the falls. Is one side of the falls (Argentine or Brazilian) more interesting than the other?

Also, my 65 year old mother may be with me and I'm wondering if the ride to devil's throat might be too adventurous for her. Could you tell me more about this boat ride?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lisa, the boat ride is a trip on a rubber boat through the waters under the falls. Guides have been doing this for quite a while so chances are they know what they are doing. The brazilian side and the argentine side are 2 completely different experiences. While you can enjoy some jaw-dropping sights from the brazilian side you can't hear the sound of the falls in their majestic drop as you do on the argentine side. To really appreciate the magnitude of nature both sides are necessary. If I were to choose -not because I am argentine- I would no doubt skip Brazil for one thing is to watch at a distance and a different one is to ride on top.

Local authorities have worked very hard to rebuild a path to the devil's throat and now there is a small train that takes visitors to the back of it. This site has a detailed explanation of what the train trip represents and has some great pictures too.

Paula Knott
Username: Wrongdog

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi
I am visiting Iguassu falls in Feb 2007, and wanted to know if there was a driver / guide that anyone could recommend for 2 days, we would like to go from Argentinan side, to the brazilizn side and into Paraguay.... Can anyone help? Is it sensible? We are staying at the Sheraton.....
Paula :-))

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paula, welcome!
The Sheraton will be the best place to ask. They will probably know many private drivers.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paula
As Roberto stated earlier you will need a visa to cross into Brazil if you are a US citizen.

Carlos Sebastian Cabrera

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi paula. I live at 37kms of the Iguassu Falls, if you need a guide and driver to known my province, count with me..

Carlos Sebastian Cabrera

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A question for all. what its the most important to trip to iguazu, the luxury in hotels, or the places to known or the people to meet?.

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here are some pics of the Iguazu falls I took from the Argentinian side (the best place to appreciate them) when I went to Iguazu some time ago. The building with the tiles roof is the best luxury hotel in the area, and it is in the Brasilian side..
The top pics were taken from a chopper that started off from the Argentinian side.
Dont take choppers from the Brasilina side cos they are a 5 minute ride and cost the same as the choppers one would take from the Argentina, except that those take 30 minutes.
http://ranabtawi.com/Iguazu.shtml
That is my personal take on Iguazu.
Cheers

Nigel Howard
Username: Nigel

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto...I have just discovered your excellent site and it could be the saving of my projected trip to South America in Jan/Feb 2007
Can you give me some advice please

I am aiming to start my trip with a couple of nights in BA and then catch a bus to Igauzu. From then I'm none too sure where I can access but I'd (ideally) like to go from Igauzu up to Asuncion, on to somwhere (can you advise ?) in Southern Bolivia, down to Salta, on the train to Autofagasta, down to Santiago and back to BA.

Is this achievable in two weeks ? I have looked at Lonely Planet Book and whilst the book is good its not specific about how ( for instance) to get from Asuncion to say La Paz.

Can you help ?
Many thanks
Nigel G Howard

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 663
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Nigel, the bus trip Buenos Aires- Iguazu should be a walk in the park and inexpensive. You can buy the tickets upon arrival at the Retiro bus terminal station.

Puerto Iguazu borders with both Paraguay and Brazil. Through international bridge "Tancredo Neves" you can access Foz de Iguazu in Brazil and "Ciudad del Este" in Paraguay. I would not know how to get to Asuncion from Ciudad del Este but someone will know for sure at the border.

From Asuncion you should try to get to "La Quiaca" in Bolivia, which borders with the argentine province of Jujuy. In La Quiaca, you can contact the bus company Atahualpa (I think) which travels from there to Jujuy through 'la quebrada de humahuaca' to the city of Salta.

The bus terminal in Salta has a page here with a phone number for Atahualpa.

Paula Maguina
Username: Paula

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola, Soy Paula de Peru y voy a Buenos Aires de vacaciones, pero tambien me gustaria ir a Iguazu por 2 o 3 dias, podrian decirme cual es la forma mas economica de hacerlo, somos tres y podriamos ir del 9 al 11 de setiembre.
Gracias por su ayuda
Saludos

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Paula, gracias por visitar! Hasta hace poco, viajar en avion era lo mas conveniente por las distancias. Pero los precios se han duplicado y un paquete de 3 noches a Iguazu que incluye el aereo mas el hotel y las excursiones, ahora cuesta cerca de usd$ 700, el doble de lo que costaba anteriormente. Mi recomendacion es que planeen en viajar por omnibuses de larga distancia.

Es barato y hay mucho para elegir pero tiene un inconveniente que es el de organizar los tiempos con precision o perder las excursiones en destino. Lo mejor seria que contactes a la estacion de micros en Retiro y compres los tickets directamente, a la vez que consultes con tu hotel sobre las excursiones y horarios.

Nigel Howard

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto..I need a liitle further advice from you if possible.I'm sure I posted this before but for some reason it never registered so I'll ask again !!!
I'm hoping to be going to South America in Jan 2007 for two weeks
My aim being the following schedule

BA to Iguazu by bus
Iguazu to Asuncion by bus
Asuncion to somwhere in South Bolivia worth seeing by bus
South Bolivia to Salta by bus
Salta to Autofagasta by train
Autofagasta to Santiago by bus
Santiago to BA ( via somewhere nice ??) by bus

Is this achievable in two weeks and if so how much time would you allocate to each destination and also travelling.
I aim to travel a couple of journeys at night.
Also are buses and hotels easy to find at short notice or has every hotel and bus got to be booked well in advance ?

Many thanks

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 150

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

January is the middle of summer in Argentina. Children are out of school. People are vacationing.
Booking hotels in advance is recommended.
Buses tend to fill up.
I would at least book my hotels a month or more in advance and when you get off the bus at one destination buy your tickets for the next place only because I do not believe you can buy them on the internet in advance.

Good luck, it's a beautiful country

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 681
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides what Tom said, I would add you can do this in 2 weeks if your idea of a trip is spending it inside a bus. No, I do not think you can do it. The logistics of crossing the border and making it to each capital city or important town in 3 or even 4 countries will turn into a nightmare. You just don't know how difficult it may get to arrive at each destination say, in Bolivia. Things are a lot slower there and you may find renewed difficulties in Asuncion. By traveling through all these countries at once you have increased your risk of something going wrong by 10 fold.

A trip like this requires a lot more time and freedom, like a backpacker trip or an adventure trip where you really have no hurry. Some friends and I did a similar trip bus/train or whathaveyou through Cuzco/Amazon river a while back and plans changed every day, not to mention we got stuck somewhere in the amazon waiting for a boat for almost 7 days. Granted, Asuncion and Bolivia are not the middle of the jungle but you are not planning to take a plane, buying a transfer and staying at the Sheraton either...

I'd say, to use the 2 weeks wisely -by bus- stay within 1 country or cross to Chile through a common passing. I know nothing about train travel in that area.

Maia
Username: Maiajz

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What are my option to travel form Bariloche to Iguazu by bus and air? It is my understanding that if I do that by air I have to go to BA as well, am I right? Is the bus system the same way - only through BA?
Roberto, have we all tourist visiting Argentina in the near future said "thank you" enough? This place is a great tool. Thank you!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maia, I don't know about the buses covering Bariloche-Iguazu in one leg and very likely they will connect through BA because it is on the way. Here is a hint, there are 2 companies who do the route BA - Bariloche and BA - Iguazu, so chances are they may take from one end to the other. You must somehow try to contect them and find out:

1.CRUCERO DEL NORTE: 4315-1652/0478 (from the US add 011-5411)
2. VIA BARILOCHE: 4315-7700

Nigel Howard

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto..So it looks like I'll have to cut the trip down , what about this ?

BA to Iguazu
Iguazu to Salta
Salta to Autofagasta (by the Train De Las Nubes)
Autofagasta to Santiago
Santiago to BA

Is this possible in two weeks ?

Jennifer L. Bates
Username: Jbatesdc

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am looking for the name or website of the bus company that runs from BA to Iguazu Falls. Does anyone know how much time it will take and how much it will cost?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jennifer, there are several bus companies that do this:

CRUCERO DEL NORTE: 4315-1652/0478 125/DEP.41
EMPRESA RIO URUGUAY: 4312-1828/4315-1225 120/DEP.54
EXPRESO SINGER: 4313-3927/2355 117/DEP.46
EXPRESO TIGRE IGUAZU: 4315-7700 114/DEP.47
VIA BARILOCHE: 4315-7700 121/DEP.55

Depending on the coach it is approx. 17 hours for 1200+km

Lika
Username: Lika

Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any lockers in Iguazu Falls park, big enough to store luggage? I am arriving on Brazilian side, but will have to leave from the Argentinian one.

Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 940
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lika, it appears the airport may have some. And am not sure how old this information is but I think the park has an 'institutional building' -Centro de Visitantes Yvyrį Retį- where there are bathrooms, lockers, souvenirs, baby carts and guides among other things.

You can reach the park offices at iguazu@apn.gov.ar or by phone (3757)-420722. From the US you should dial 011-54 first.

Euan Peebles
Username: Euanpeebles

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

Was wondering if the water level at the falls is back to its majestic glory? I will be going mid February 07. I would like to know whether it is possible to do 1 day jungle tours from there, and the necessity for anti-malaria tablets etc..

Many thanks
Euan Peebles

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would not know what to advice on malaria. I personally would not worry, meaning, I would not take them. But that's me and can't suggest the same to others. I also never heard of anyone taking this, neither we recommend it to our clients. The only time I took anything similar was while crossing the amazon river as many areas were mosquito land.

We just talked to Iguazu. Water level is back to normal.

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 318

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The US State Department site warns of possible malaria precautions to be taken when traveling in the Northweast tip of Argentina, the rain forest there.

Otherwise the country is safe.

Carlos Sebastian Cabrera

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I live at 45 kms of the Iguazu falls, the warn its for Paraguay, in the mayor cities, with a disinfection plan planned. otherwise if you travel to brasil, you can be innoculated in a medical center against the "fiebre amarilla" i think its the same like malaria. im not a doctor!. here in Argentina in all the medicals centers have vaccine for these diseases. any question can contact with the pay free tel number of Health Ministry of Argentina.

Carlos Sebastian Cabrera

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ah, i forget, these diseases dont have a cure, only a vaccine to prevent the infection.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration