Questions for the experts Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Questions for the experts « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris & Mari Eidler
Username: Chris__mari

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We are planning to move to the Mendoza area. We plan to buy a finca and build a house outside of town. We have a couple of questions,
1. We will need satellite internet, can you tell me anything about it?
2. What are the typical construction materials for home building(i.e. masonry, woodframe, etc.)?
3. In our research we found that some people say the cost per sq.ft. of construction is between $15-$30 USD. Is this realistic for a well built home, nothing fancy?
Thanks for your help.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 198

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Chris and Mari, welcome to the land of plenty (except when there are strikes)...Telmex nd Vortach are the key players in satellite internet here...with Telemex just coming aboard with their 256k product - a bit slow but doable.

Woodframe practially doesn't exist here in Argentina - brick amd mortar rules...good quality labor is an issue these days with so much demdand.

Current construction cost range from 1500 to 3000 pesos per square meter for medium to excellent quality construction in Mendoza depending on final features, details, etc...this translates to aprox $50 to $100 per square foot. Most people in the industry here will tell you lower coss and surpise you later with higher costs or low quality.

This info based on my experience and experience of my clients.

Good luck and enjoy!

PS - Roberto - can you scoot this thread into the Info on Mendoza thread? thanks!

Leandro
Username: Leandro

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cris and Maria, when you decide to buy at mendoza, contact me, we are a inmobiliaria, we farms for sale or looking to the most likes. The advise. My phones:
Thone: 54-261-4203635
Mobile: 54-9-261-5863923
Leansuarez@gmail.com

Chris & Mari Eidler
Username: Chris__mari

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the reply, a couple more for you.
1. What kind of roofing material is most common?
2. The sq. ft. price you quoted, is that for a contractor or owner built with local labor?

Thanks Again.
Chris & Mari

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 201

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Chris and Mari,

Roofing material varies...from tin roofs to brick and mortar with tile variations...you should come to see for yourself and see examples.

Your second question varies with mileage also. Here an architect often takes charge of managing all the labor and technical direction. Many times in conjunction with an engineer. Often time the future home owner will play a direct role in management.

Your level of involvement is up to you and how well you can manage in Spanish and project management. The biggest challenge here in Mendoza at the moment is availability of quality labor due to the surge of construction projects over the last few years. No matter what, one should really be here to be on top of their construction project to make sure it's going the expected way, or be in tight communications with pictures and status updates weekly.

Since you brought up the topic, if there is anybody out there who would like to take advantage of an excellent house construction project manager here in Chacras de Coria just south of Mendoza, I can vouch for him personally, he built my home. He has a loyal team of workers because he treats them right. He tends to focus on very high quality construction theory, and he is right now looking for a few clients that want to do a project properly, which means proper financial planning also. This will benefit a future homeowner who doesn’t want to play the game of weekly price increases, labor and material shortages, or low quality construction...all frequent topics in Argentina.

If he doesn't lock in a few clients in the coming weeks, he has 4 approved home construction projects that he designed himself, that he would like to start on at least 2 of them, for his own personal benefit, and he intends to sell/lease them once they are done.

He is not advertising this offering, and has just put the word out to his friends just recently.

This guy grew up in Chacras…knows the construction materials market very well in Mendoza, has a very excellent contact base, and is a very decent and honest guy.

He does no speak English, but initial and ongoing translated communications can be arranged and built into a firm cost for the build life of the home and beyond.

An example of a recent home he did personally is available to see via photos and in person.

If anybody has an interest into getting to know and tapping in this man's fairly new (3 years) but strong track record and the track record of his workers, please PM me.
If you can speak Spanish, I will put you in touch with him directly. If you don’t I can arrange an interpreter at market cost.

Cheers

(Message edited by admin on March 24, 2008)

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 174

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chris and Mari, adding one more thing. Based on people I know that have built in Latin America, Mendoza has told you correctly. The figures they give you can be way low. This fact has come close to home for my family! They do not do things there like they do in certain other countries and apparently it is not practical to sue, as in other countries.

Do your due diligence and, if possible, don't leave it in someone else's hands. Watch what is going on.

If others disagree, please give your better advice to Chris and Mari. I will be happy to be declared wrong on this!

Robert Gisborn
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd like to ask two questions somewhat related.
Though you don't recommend it, I'd like to know what is the best US dollar-Argentine peso I could get from an illegal street money seller?
Given that Argentina needs strong western currency, US dollars and Euros, why doesn't the Argentine government make it easier for North Americans, European and Japanese retirees to come. They'll come to dump hard cash into your economy, put no strain on your police or public schools and live peacefully without bothering anybody? Why scare away the vast amount of wealth these people can bring in? Give them a break on income taxes and import duties. For every dollar you get from taxes and import duties you'll scare $100. away. These retirees have-on average- 10 times the average Argentine middle class income. Believe me, many would come if they weren't afraid of someone getting in their face or trying to rip them off.

Bob

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> put no strain on your police or public schools and live peacefully without bothering anybody?

So true.

I do not know about your first inquiry but I can probably risk an answer for the second one. In fact, I will answer you with another question or group of questions.

Why does this government ban meat exports in their best historical moment?
Why does this government impose burdensome taxes to Argentina's core strength at a time when prices of ags are at a peak?
Why does this government subsidize energy impeding necessary investment when Argentina has chronically suffered deficits in this arena?
Why does this government deface military and police forces at a time when conflicts are building up?
Why does this government keep changing the rules of the game for all economic participants -exposing no long-term legal and judiciary frameworks- at a time when there is no foreign investment?

For some this is just shortsightedness. For others, a voting game (as many of the answers to all these irrational situations tend speak to a certain segment of the population). While for others, it is a lack of nationalism where personal interests override the common good. For me, it is a lot simpler. It is the complete mediocrity of our rulers.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 63

Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert

Regarding making it easy for retirees to come: Unless it's changed recently, the Argentinean government offers "Pensioner Residency". Providing someone is receiving a pension from their home country of at least 2,100 pesos per month (appox US$700) they should qualify if they can demostrate that the money can be paid regularly and directly into an Argentinean bank account.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 175

Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Simon, as far as I know there is no requirement for depositing into an Argentine bank account. Mine is deposited into a US bank in the US. I just have to provide copies of two recent bank statements each year showing the deposit.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 213

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

agreed - same conclusion from clients experience here - no requirement to deposit the funds...unless some renegade consulate somehere ..or some renegade immigration officr here....declared it...probably in error.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Simon.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration