Gardening and Solar in Mendoza ? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Gardening and Solar in Mendoza ? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rosemary Fry
Username: Rofry965

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

This may be a silly question to ask of an agricultural area, but I've not seen it discussed. I've perused some of the online "home improvement" stores but it's hard to tell what the availability is for the hobby gardener. Are there nurseries to get vegetable, herb, flower seeds? A garden is something we always have, in addition to tons of indoor plants.

I've also seen a few places on real estate sites where solar has been incorporated. This was on properties in the $50k range, we too are only interested in properties well under $100k that fall into the "definitely needs work" fincas - no city living for us. Again though I wasn't sure how to figure out where to find solar and how expensive it is to build in.

Thanks everyone,
Rosemary

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 172

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rosemary...in addition to tons of mom and pop shops for gardening, many supermarkets carry this kind of stuff, and there is a version of Home Depot here called "Easy", even though my wife calls it "difficult" lol. So, no shortage of gardening supplies and seeds, etc. I do know that bringing in live fruit into Mendoza is like a cardinal sin, but you make me wonder whether seeds can be brought in...hmmm...gonna have to check that out...anybody here know right off?

Solar: In spite of the sunshine factor here (although don't count the last 2 months - it's been wet and cloudy more than half the days it seems like), Solar is just getting off the ground here. Imports have been too expensive, and still are...but homemade and Argentine solar industry products are just starting to appear on the market. As more of this topic hits my radar here, I will post here.

For you price parameters, there are probably hundreds of properties that fit them, from here to San Rafael. What you see on the Internet is probably 30% of what’s for sale, and in the end, almost everything is purchasable.

Have you been here to scope the scene? This maneuver will really help you zone in where you want to be – even upper Mendoza is very spread out geographically, but at least it is fun to explore, not boring like a Kansas county:=)

If you are prepared to "finca needs fixer-upper work", how is your Spanish? Even a little goes a long way.

If you intend to sell into the local marketplace for monies, it would be best to get a residential visa to deal properly with the tax department if and when you cross that bridge. I suggest you get your residential visa abroad from the Argentine consulate closest to your legal address in your home country. Much quicker and easier, relatively speaking, than trying to get it here inside Argentina.

You may hear stories from some locals how they sell much of their produce into the black market, and not to worry about taxes, but my advice is, as a foreigner doesn’t slide down that slippery path, you may be targeted by the tax department before them. Good luck and have fun!

Leandro
Username: Leandro

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, as native in Mendoza, I agree with Sean better to be white and more at the moment that is firmly in control operations in black. It is important to be white and more being abroad, sometimes are manoseados by unknowns of the laws in Argentina. The last example is the new COTI given by the afip, (codigo de oferta de transferencia de inmuebles) have to be requested by the owners. This Be aware of this new method? Anything consulteme I am aware of what is happening. A taste for all and to the next.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 173

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes from what I understand enfornce in Mendoza COTI is as of March 1 - to sell a property you must get a COTI certificate from AFIP - in a nutshell - the AFIP tax department is trying to avoid imporper declarations of property sales - in other words - to register the true value of the sale on the books instead of registering a much lower "fake" value....

Leandro, what are you hearing from the field as far as responses from propetrty sellers on this topic? I am getting feedback from realtors that they are not pleased...

Roberto - this is a very good sub-topic that Leandro has touched on - perhaps a thread dedicated to the dreaded COTI? I bet AptsBA has some good input from BA as well....

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WTM, it's on your field now COTI certificate

Rosemary Fry

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sean,

No interest in re-selling properties, just a very quiet rural place to garden, and take a deep breath and enjoy life and figure out what we want to do when we are done resting As far as selling anything, we have no interest in getting in to any grey areas.

We've not made our exploratory trip yet to "try on" the area. I hope we can get down there to Mendoza for at least 2 weeks in the next 18 months. We've studied many places and Argentina and Chile keep seeming to fit the bill, though property in Chile at least in places we'd like to live (again rural) seems out of reach. We currently live on 20 acres in the mountains up a 4wd only road - so you can see quiet scores pretty high marks. I believe I understand you cannot own in most of the mountain area in Argentina either right? Bariloche and the like.

I'm glad to hear there seems to be sources for gardening there. I gave away all my indoor plants when we moved from California to Colorado and if this whole big dream does work out, I'll have to start all over again. I do save seeds too, and my neighbor that has lived up in the area for 30 years has given me seeds for things that successfully grow up there. It's funny because from what I've read about weather and even some of the photos, except for the missing pine trees, and of course Fort Collins does not have vineyards, there are a lot of similarities in climate, and the plains running right up to the mountains.

Spanish is a must, even before we travel for a "try on" trip.

One other thing I thought of, is there any interest/source for home brewing supplies in Argentina?

Thanks,
Rosemary

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 175

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rosemary, my apologies I should have been more clear when I meant "re-selling into the market place" I meant crops, not properties.

Yes you as a foriegner can absolutley buy in the mountains here. It's just extra steps, forms, non-criminal report and a currently avg 6 month wait time to get final title although you can move in right away with your temporary title. The wait time also allows the government to background check you even more if they think you are a drug smuggler or a Chilean spy:=>

Home brewing you mean cerveza? good question....!

Rosemary Fry

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sean,

Ah okay I thought the COTI was for property, but maybe I misunderstood that this is a license to sell other items. That's an interesting idea, we joke around that with the worldwide shortage on hops, maybe there is a way to move to Argentina and start a hops growing operation. From everything I've seen though on starting a business in Argentina that alone is a nightmare let alone then try to export a product (hops are usually dried and vacuumed packed), that must be nearly impossible.

Yes cerveza, we've home brewed for years, buying our supplies in the local shop that finally opened in Fort Collins about 2 years ago. Unbelievably as huge as small breweries and home brewing is in Colorado there are not that many home brew supply stores. We haven't moved to the next level which is to use whole grains - that might actually be easier, the hard part would be getting the hops and yeasts. I saw one post somewhere in spanish about a brew club starting but it was on the BA end of things.

Thanks again for your help - Roberto you have an awesome forum here, many thanks.

Rosemary

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 177

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Rosemary

Mendoza is one of the strongest provinces for fruit and vegetable exports, and the dried ones as well. In fact, before thw ine surge, this is what Mendoza was all about.

The “nightmare” part is the lack of patience many newcomers have to go through all the hoops, forms, wait times, and other bureaucracy that many newcomers are not used, much less it be all in Spanish. The labor laws throw people for a curve also - but I can attest it can be done and is done all the time by people here in Mendoza and other parts of Argentina. By determined people. So if you are determined enough to come this far, why stop there with determination:=)

Don't forget there is the domestic market here also market.

I have a feeling farmers will be king f the next generations:=)

Speaking of hops - there is a cool little Austrian Brewery and eatery in the Mendoza mountains called Jeromes - best beer in the Andes!

Richard Graham
Username: Richg

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jerome is a wonderful beer. The brewery really is just a shack in Porterillos with a visible stream of water flowing straight from the mountains. It sort of makes you think "I could do this!!"

I was looking into the homebrew side of things a few months back. I only found a place in Mar del Plata that sold hops etc. A quick look for it today gave me a far better resource which you may have found already:

www.todocerveza.com.ar
www.cerveceroscaseros.com.ar
www.minicerveceria.com/home.asp

Rosemary Fry

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much - I did not see those sites before. For some reason todocerveza won't open for me. I've been going through the pages of stuff on the minicerveceria site and wondering how in the world to get my hands on the Llenadora Electrica - electric bottle filler, not the whole bucket rig they sell just the pump part. I can't believe there isn't something like that in the states. Everything I've seen comes out of winemaking and is in the range of $250USD and up.

Rosemary

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration