Arriving in October for one month Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Living in Argentina » Arriving in October for one month « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gayle
Username: Flaka

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions. We will be traveling in October and what should I bring as a jacket to wear in the evening? How cool does it get? Also, is there a VAT tax on food, merchandise, etc.?

Do we have a date yet in October when some of us can meet on a weekend day for a parrilla? This forum is wonderful. My husband has gone on an engineer forum and he is corresponding with a couple of engineers in Argentina who he plans on meeting while we are there. He speaks fluent Spanish (his parents are from Argentina)and was inquiring as to the availability of consulting work in B.A. as we are considering relocating there.

Spartaco Margioni
Username: Spinsk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hello all, I am looking to visit Argentina and have never been there. I am an artist and looking to take some TESL classes as well, check out the entire scene. I have read online and heard from some friends that Argentina is quite cheap. Since I am an artist is truly the words, "starving artist" would apply to me, any help would be grand. It seems like real estate, apts, the like are quite cheap from what I can see online. Any recommendations for TESL classes as well, where to live? I am also thinking of checking out Uruguay as well. Cheers and thanks. Ciao
S.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

@ Spartaco... I believe we covered most of your inquiries in the other threads.

Gayle, sorry for the delay.

I have been going through my messages and found this alert in the middle of all the spam. October is already spring in Argentina and in general weather is really great. Although not as stable as it used to be -weather patterns have been changing much- October should be mild warm during the day and just a little chilly at nights. Not bad at all. I always think of the weather in BA during October as the one in San Fransisco.

There is tax in everything you buy in Argentina. All merchants (services and merchandise) are supposed to collect taxes (IVA) but you should keep the receipts because you can recoup that cost at the airport the day you leave (for some of the items bought). Most retail stores in malls are very familiar with this so you should always ask. They will make you fill up some kind of form and give you a copy. That paper will have the details as to how to get your money back.

THE GATHERING
Unfortunately, I have postponed my trip to Argentina to November/December. Some personal issues. But I urge you to contact the other members who will very likely be in Argentina during your stay together with the ones who reside there permanently. At the very least, a small group can gather to have some coffee, take pictures and post them here at the forum so we can see who is who.

The thread for the gathering is here in case you want to drop a line.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 437

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Roberto
The great American writer, Samuel Clemins aka Mark Twain, once said words to the effect that San Francisco in the summer was one of the coldest places he had ever been.

Buenos Aries in the Spring is not that cold.

In the winter, of course I was not there when it snowed this past year, is fairly mild in my humble opinion. I compare it to north Florida in the winter where I lived for several years.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good comparison, Tom. Thanks!

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Spartaco, I wanted to speak up about your concerns as a "starving artist". Although BA is less expensive than some places, it's not cheap like it used to be. If you are planning on living in BA for awhile you should make sure you have a nest egg set aside for at least 6 months preferably a year. The cost of things is going up and housing for foreigners is often limited to pricey temporary rentals usually in US dollars. Teaching English can be risky because there are so many people who do it and the market is saturated, and you may very well be paid in pesos which may not give you the lifestyle you're seeking.

That all said, it is all relative of course, If you're coming from someplace like NYC or London, than BA is a bargain. Just be aware of the pitfalls and be prepared. Have a great time and enjoy!

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration