Taxi from BA Intl Airport to Recoleta Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Taxi from BA Intl Airport to Recoleta « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

frances luke
Username: Fluke

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How much is a cab in USD approximately from the airport to the Recoleta area? Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

frances, you will be dealing with 2 airports on your trip. You arrive in Buenos Aires at the international airport Ezeiza. That may cost equivalent to international transfers. For this I recommend that you take the vans of 'Manuel Tienda Leon'. It is probably your cheapest option. You will see their stands/booths as soon as you walk through the customs gate.

But for your domestic flights you will arrive to the domestic airport called 'Jorge Newbery' which is located within the city. A taxi from here to La Recoleta should not be over $6 or $7 bucks, although I am only guesstimating. If it gets to 10 bucks som'thg wrong.

Milagros Miceli
Username: Milita

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Frances! I know that a remise from Recoleta to Ezeiza International Airport is about 15 US Dollars (45 pesos). I donŽt know if those cabs and remises you would take in the airport overcharge.

IŽd follow the advise of Roberto: take the Manuel Tienda Leon vans. They are unexpensive and safe.

A cab from Jorge Newbery Airport to La Recoleta shouldŽt be more than 3 or 4 bucks (about 10 pesos).

All The Best!

frances luke
Username: Fluke

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We have two people so it may make more sense to take a cab? Whats a remise?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A remise is like having a private driver... You can hire them on the spot at the airport. Either way you will be fine.

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 98

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The taxiŽs from Ezeiza to downtown Buneos Aires Capital Federal run around $50 pesos, about U$A16 dollars.

Just after you go through the baggage check out you will enter an area where there are taxi stands. Buy there. You tell them where you want to go, they will tell you the price, you pay there and they give you a receipt and the driver takes you to his taxi and you are on your way. You do not have to pay anything else. I normally give a tip to the driver when I get to my destination but it is not required.

If you do it this way do not be concerned if the taxi is not black and white, these cares are sometimes considered lemos only they do not look like an American Lemo.

I think this is the safest way. The people in the Taxi stands speak English which is good for me because I speak very little Spanish. I have done this probably 20 times in the last three years.

I would not hire a taxi from someone walking around in the airport asking if you want a taxi. It is not safe.

George Newberry is the regional airport and Ezeiza is the international airport.

Good luck.

D MUNGAY
Username: Crazygaucho

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Roberto the safest way to get to Recoleta is Manuel tienda Leon Vans, belie}ve me I'd been a taxi driver in Buenos aires myself and heard many stories......... and yes if you still want to take a taxi ALWAYS take the ones with radio taxi you'll see the signs on the back doors and try to memorize their unit # I could give you a few radio taxis companies names that I know of they have been in bussines for many years and they screen their drivers but I don't know if we are allowed to do that here,}and it shouldn't be more than 45 pesos{ it wiil be an increase next week or so but is only about 10% wish you the best and I'm going against my own bussines the taxi I drive sometimes it doesnt have a radio service because I don't work as much and just dont wana pay the weekly fee for the radio use
other cab that I own has it
good luck}

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 652
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome crazygaucho, yes, you can drop any information that will help visitors to determine which actions are best. On the contrary, anything that looks like too much self-promotion/spam may be frowned upon.

D MUNGAY
Username: Crazygaucho

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

good radio taxi company that I know of is Pidalo phone #
(11) 4965-1200

robert lipmar
Username: Miami_bob

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I travel miami to bs as frequently. for first time visitors either:
-manuel tienda leon-us$8 for bus to city and transfer to van for local drop off. [assuming about 3 pesos "$" = us$1]
-don't use a taxi if you have no spanish and no knowledge of the city. under current rates it is about us$20 including the tolls in a metered taxi. many drivers will take the long way around. there are reported thefts involving taxis and tourists. taxi rates have significantly increased over the last year. on the street always take a radio taxi. most drivers will be ok.
-limo services or car service is called a remise. when you exit customs there are a number of boths. a good reliable service which takes credit cards and english is spoken is VIP. they are about us$25 or $75[pesos]
- i regularly use an english speaking taxi driver named gerardo pettygrew. his mother was american and he is completely fluent. he is a good guy who is very honest. i know him for 4 years. he would expect about $65 pesos to come and get you and bring you to a recoleta hotel. he works 7am to 7pm 6 days. he can be called from the usa between 7am and 7pm, bs as time at :
011 54911 5375 0542 from usa
15 5375 0542 in bs as
gerardo is also good for shopping trips and some translating and negociating on your behalf. he is 1/2 american and likes to practice his english.

bob

Stephen D Ruud
Username: Stephenruud

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree that Tienda Manuel Leon is the best company for airport service. There are two ways to go to town with Tienda Manuel Leon. One, is to take the cab directly to your destination by "remise." Cost is less than $20 (around 55 Argentine pesos). You can pay at their stand after baggage pick-up, where you can also change money. Then, exit the secured area. Or, you can pay directly outside the secured area at another Tienda Manuel Leon stand. You get a ticket, the driver takes you. It's a bargain for a 45 minute to an hour ride.

I took the cheaper version when I arrived. Took my baggage outside, walked around to the left of the building, and found the Tienda Manuel Leon office. They take you by a comfortable air-conditioned bus to their main office near Plaza San Martin, then transfer by smaller van to your destination. Cost is about $10 (27 pesos). If you are two people, easiest is to go directly by remise.

Lastly, you can order your return trip to the airport by telephoning them with flight number and departure time. Even though I was at the airport 4 hours early, the place was a zoo. Recommend getting there for departure very early. You have to check luggage (long line), pay departure tax (long line), go through customs (long line), have carry-on checked, where they confiscate all water bottles despite rules that water purchased after you enter secure area is allowed. The flights from Argentina to Europe and the United States are very full, because of the economic boom in Argentina stimulating local travel, and because Argentina is such a great, cheap travel destination. In other words, prepare for airport departure nightmare at Ezeiza.

Michael Teryazos
Username: Mteryazos

Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What would you recommend I take if I am traveling with my wife, a friend & a very young child? space & comfort are key

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael welcome! Although I noticed your first post was in the beligerant thread. For comfort and privacy go with a "remise". There are several companies that can arrange this for you including our travel agency. If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person you can arrange for a 'remise' -which is nothing else than a private driver-, as soon as you cross custom doors. You will see the stands and they will for sure offer it to you. Another alternative is to have this pre-arranged and have the driver wait for you with a sign/badge with your name.

Most remise companies have good cars with enough space for 3 adults and a child including luggage.

florencia
Username: Flopy26

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

michael:

you can see here:

http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/buenosaires_services _detailed.php?recordID=transfers

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tienda Manuel Leon is the cheapest service from the airport. During the daytime their vans leave at approximately half-hour intervals. It's not the quickest service, as the van from the airport goes to their downtown office, where you will then be assigned another van with other people going to the same part of town as you. This van does the actual drop offs and will take you to the address you require (hotel or apartment). There may be a wait in the office for the second van. The service is cheap and reliable but not the quickest.

For a faster service book a taxi/remise from one of the desks at the airport. You pay at the time of booking and are given a ticket to give to the driver. The desk staff will arrange a car for you, identify it when it arrives and ensure you get in it safely. Typically I've had to wait 5 - 10 minutes for a car. The last time I came through was a couple of months ago and the cost was 65 pesos.

Returning to the airport, the safest way is to call a remise. There are several firms that advertise with fixed rates to the airport (e.g. 60 pesos), however these are not the cheapest. Calling a local remise firm is often cheapest, especially if the journey is metered.

Personally, I've found that flagging one of the ubiquitous black and yellow cabs is the easiest/cheapest - last time the journey was under 50 pesos including tolls and tip.

I hope this helps.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 347

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Flagging down one of the black and yellow cabs can be a bad thing. I have heard the ones that do not have a dome on top and don't have the telephone numbers on the doors are not a good choice.
I flag down taxi's in Buenos Aires occaisonally. But I am cautious and follow the above rules.

Being safe is always the best practice I think.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tom

When the economic crash happened there were a lot of very desperate people about and there were repeated stories of taxi drivers mugging passengers at gunpoint. The memory of this lives on in some people's minds.

However, things have changed in the intervening years. I've flagged down literally hundreds of taxis and never had a problem, nor do I know of anyone who's had a problem recently. I think as long as you are not in a really dodgy area you will be fine flagging down a taxi anywhere in the Cap Fed. I and all my friends do it all the time and never think twice about it.

If you are still concerned, for extra piece of mind flag down one that says Radio Taxi on the side. These are linked by radio to a central office and are far more accountable.

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration