Example Taxi and Remise fares? Subte... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Example Taxi and Remise fares? Subte... « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CHris Vallowe
Username: Baltika09

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was just wondering if anyone could give some examples of average taxi and remise fares around Buenos Aires. What are some fair prices to get around town, across town, etc. ALso is it possible to by multiple fares on the Subte? is there a daily or weekly pass for it? Thanks, Chris

Milagros Miceli
Username: Milita

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Chris,
Let me give you a few tips:
-Remise minimun fare is 4/5 pesos, which covers up to 2/3 kilometers.
-You can trust more in remises because when you call to ask for one, you can ask how much it is going to cost.
-If you prefer taxis, it is allways safer to call a radio taxi. Here is the number of the radio taxi I use all the time: New Taxi - 4551-1110. Both, speakers and drivers are very nice.
-For example: I know a remise from downtown to the Ezeiza Airport is arround 40 pesos.
-You can buy multiple passes on the subway, but every pass is one ride. There is no daily pass that you can use the number of times you want during that day.

Hope I could help....good luck

Milagros

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 615
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cabs start at 1.98 pesos and jump at a rate of .22 per almost 2 blocks (less than 2). You could probably get around the city for less than usd $3 per trip (~9 pesos). In a day, you can travel to multiple locations back and forth across town for usd $12/15.

Dishonest cabs also use the "piripipi". This is actually old. While I was working at a winery I met a guy who later became a taxi driver and told me about it. He said "if you see 2 flags dropping within a block or notice the clock running too fast, ask the driver to stop the "piripipi". Well... this was back in 1988. Most of the time, this is just some kind of hidden lever that they press to accelerate the count. If you notice the driver looking at you every so often he is probably checking your eyes to use the lever when you are looking somewhere else. He may also try to divert your attention by talking to you.

This, of course, makes for a stressful trip. Taxis are really cheap compared to the US. My advice is that if you take cabs and what you pay "feels" cheap don't even bother. In my last trip to BA I disregarded this practice completely and took cabs everywhere and eliminated one more source of irritation. Whether I got overcharged or not, they were still really cheap.

(Message edited by admin on July 16, 2006)

ruggero
Username: Bart

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Someone offers radio taxi in english. so basically they provide you whith a cellphone, so if you don't want to deal with these kind of scams not the "piripi" etc, you call the central (they speak english) you say your location and destination and a taxi cab picks you up within 15 min and fares are normal fares, taxi is a normal taxi, but they have been registered and passed the tests and safety requirements while drivers oftenly don't speak english, you can call the central anytime if you have a complainment from your cellphone.

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 85

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What happens when you leave town and forget to return their cell phone.
Just kidding
Right on Roberto.
The taxi's are inexpensive there and worring about a dollar or two overcharge is rediculous.

Hasta Luego
Tom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration