2 weeks from late August from 1000 US... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » 2 weeks from late August from 1000 USD to see all « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gyula pasztor
Username: Argentinfo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Roberto,
first of all sorry for the ones travelling to Argentina without finding your forum, really thanx.

So 2 of us arrive on Thursday 24th August and leave on Friday 08, meaning we have full 2 weeks to explore.

Budget limit is 1000 USD/person, and would love to see whales at Peninsula Valdez, Moreno Glacier, Bariloche, Mendoza, Iguazu, Buenos Aires. If we have time, of course Rosario + Colonia.

The more I plan the more I am confused.

Is it worth of going to Moreno Glacier this time of the year, or we will see only lots of ice surrounded with even more snow?

Is the itinerary I mentioned realistic for 2 weeks with the given budget, or should we skip anything, or maybe switch for something else (how is Cordoba for example?)?

Where should we definitelly take a plane in spite of overnight bus (I thought we should fly from Valdez Peninsula to El Calafate, then to Bariloche, and there shold be one more flight from Mendoza to Iguazu, and the rest with bus, problem is that seems like most fligts are passing through Buenos Aires, which is a waste of time +money)???

Should we arrange everything in advance, or can we arrange everything there for the next 2 days??

Is it enough to reserve bus tickets one day ahead, and what are the differences among the buses (cacha...whatever)?

Suddenly that is all, I really do appreciate even if you just try answering my questions. Of course, let me know if you need info regarding Hungary...

Cheers, Gyula

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome, gyula! and thank you.

The short answer is yes, it is worth traveling to Perito Moreno glaciers. The lakes don't freeze, so weather permitting you will see whatever there is to see. Oh, you will see blocks of ice no matter when you visit. But the point is that these are huge, out-of-this-world blocks of ice.

The budget *might* be ok but what is not realistic is the amount of destinations you have earmarked. Some are on opposite ends and in case you don't know this, Argentina is a big country. The state of Buenos Aires alone is as big as France. So inland traveling takes time. Add to that traveling is not very efficient, as you already noticed. You must connect through Buenos Aires in almost all flights so...

I think you need to narrow down your trip a bit. You have many diverse destinations. The first thing I would do is try nailing down what kind of vacations you want. Your original itinerary includes:

A large metropolitan area (BSAS)
Tropical jungle (Iguazu)
Bariloche (a picturesque paradise)
Calafate (Glaciers)
Peninsula Valdes (a wild animal reservoir)
Mendoza (a winery/outdoors destination that will be snowy at the time)

As you can see, this trip has no theme except for trying to fit as many destinations in this one shot. And I am not counting Rosario or Colonia (Uruguay).

The one destination that may look somewhat out of tune in your scheme is Mendoza. At that time of the year, it will be mostly a skier paradise. If you are not into this sport, you may want to leave Mendoza for a future trip. This way, your trip starts to make more sense.

You are still left with 5 destinations, two of which require extended stay (BsAs and Bariloche). So now, what you can determine is if you are an animal-lover person, or more a nature-loving individual. If your thing is wild animals I would keep Peninsula Valdes for sure. If not, that destination goes and your are left with:

BsAs (4)
Iguazu (3)
Bariloche (4)
Calafate (3)
-------------------
14 nights

If you do this you should not allot less than 3 nights to Iguazu because you run the risk of missing the tours on arrival (you are more than likely to miss them since you plan on taking the bus overnight). The above is a comfortable trip.

If instead you want the animals, I would consider the following:

BsAs (4)
Bariloche (4)
Calafate (3)
Peninsula Valdes (3)
-------------------
14 nights

The above should be handled by plane.

Alternatively, if you don't want to leave anything out your trip should look like this:

BsAs (3)
Iguazu (2)
Bariloche (4)
Calafate (3)
Peninsula Valdes (2)
-------------------
14 nights

An all plane trip.

You MUST arrange everything in advance. Argentina is fully booked everywhere and chances are any agent will have to work hard now to get you spaces for all these destinations. The only difference would be the bus tickets that you may not need to purchase prior to arriving but you are taking some risks doing so. I can't call the Bus station anymore but I have posted information all over the forum. You may want to check some of the other threads... Hope this helps.

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 74

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Gyula
Roberto is on point especially with the size of the country and the "budget *might* be ok"
A lot of poeple don't realize that Argentina is the 10th largest country in the world. Bariloche, Mendoza, Iguazu, and Buenos Aires are all a long way from each other. Air fares are in world dollar prices.
Bariloche is expensive in the off season. August is not the off season. Meals and lodging there wil eat up a $2000 budget pretty quick. If you like to snow ski, it's the place.
Iguazu is magnificent any time of the year.
Seeing the whales and walking on a glacier are pretty unique.
Mendoza is wine country and at this time of the year, doesn't it snow in hungry. I personally would skip it.
I personally think Buenos Aires is the most romantic city in the world.
Whatever you decide, I think you will really be impressed with Argentina. The diversity of the country and a lot of friendly poeple.

Hasta luego
Tom

gyula pasztor
Username: Argentinfo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

Thanks for your answers, made me think big time. The conclusion is that we will definitely skip Mendoza, and will try to visit Buenos Aires, El Calafate, Bariloche, Valdez Peninsula, + Iguazu.

Regarding timing:

arrive to Buenos Aires 24th August, Thursday morning

flying to El Calafate on 25th Friday, afternoon

flying to Bariloche on 29th Tuesday afternoon

Well in Bariloche we are considering only two days as we love skiink but we do not want to do it in Argentina, only check the city + one full day for the lakes (wondering if we should visit Bariloche at all if we see ski-resorts relatively often)

overnight bus to Puerto Mardyn on 31st August Thursday late afternoon, arriving on 1st Sept

2nd Sept Saturday whale-and animal watching

3rd Sept Sunday fly back to Buenos Aires (if there is no overnight bus leaving 2nd September evening)

and again taking overnight bus from Buenos Aires on 3rd Sunday evening to Iguazu arriving on 4th Monday

and fly back to Buenos Aires on 6th afternoon

7th Thursday Buenos Aires or Colonia

8th August flying home with no power, no money but filled up with memories....

Please let me know your opinion, and few more questions:

Does it make sense to consider afternoon-evening departures on the abovementioned bus trips, or there is one bus per day and take it or leave it?

If skiing is out of picture, what can we do in Bariloche (as you recommended even longer stay there than in El Calafate)?

Is it possible and if yes, is it necessary to book Bus tickets in advance?

Can Erna assist also with bus tickets or only with flights?

If I make flight booking and pay the bill, is it possible to get e-tickets in spite of mailing paper-tickets all-around the world?

Huh, have no words to express my appreciation for your answers, thanks,

Gyula

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gyula, yes, you can get e-tickets for all the routes. No, Erna, will not help with the bus tickets and I doubt any agent will. Too much hassle and no commisions. Like anywhere else (or almost anywhere else), you may need to arrange this yourself.

My information is not up to date regarding bus ticketing. Some routes may have different departures per day, commonly buses to Mendoza or Iguazu departing from BsAs. Other than this, I would not know. BUT, you may have at least 2 companies doing some routes so the chances of choosing from different schedules can be high.

Once you get your lodging in place, ask the people at your place of stay. They should be able to help with the bus tickets and may not need to buy them too much in advance. Just secure them as soon as you arrive to your destinations. One caveat, some international airlines have coordinated arrivals to Ezeiza with flights to Calafate departing straight from the international airport, not the domestic. In other words, you could arrive to Ezeiza and fly straight to Calafate from the same airport you are arriving. Explore this option as it might save you some time and then you can spend consecutive days in BA on your return.

Your trip looks wonderful!

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 80

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bariloche is a very well known ski resort destination. The accomodations tend to fill up well in advance. It still may be possible but I would not wait till the last minute.

I love Buenos Aires for a lot of reasons. One is the number of cafes, coffee shops, and restaurants there. You can start walking in any direction and when you get tired there's a place to take a break, down a coffee, tea, water, etc. and then start out again.

I generally walk especially if I am killing time. There are times of the day you can walk without concern like any huge city. If there are poeple on the streets, that is a good sign. Stand on the corner and look down the street, if it looks gloomy, go the other way.
If you take a busy street and stop for a break a long while and when you leave the street is deserted, go back in and ask that a taxi be called or carry a taxi telephone number with you and call one yourself. Taxi's are very inexpensive.

Pretty much whatever you are looking for you will find in Buenos Aires except for really bad guys, snow, hurricanes and tornadoes.

Hasta luego
Tom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration