Spanish Language Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Spanish Language « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ludger Borger
Username: Ludger

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am intested in traveling to Argentina this summer, but I do not speak any Spanish, I only speak German and English. How difficult is it going to be to get around? I am planning on going to Buenos Aires and the northeast and would like to speak to some locals to get a feel for the area. Will I be able to communicate with them?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ludger, in order to get a feel for the local community you may need some spanish, I am afraid.

Speaking english will of course help. In general, most city dwellers will handle some english. Elementary, mid and high schools usually require that students take courses in a second language either french or english. Hotels, tour guides and services related to tourism or foreigners will definitely communicate in english but the regular guy in the streets will have a limited vocabulary, if any.

Having said this, in the last 3 or 4 years there has been a boom of foreigners visiting the country so I think you might be able to get by just fine. Sales persons at shops have learned -of course- most of the english they need to sell you stuff... On a related topic, someone posted that in downtown, many police officers carry a little flag on their clothes warning others that they can speak english, however, street signs and such are in spanish.

If you are doing this ALL on your own, you might face some obstacles. But if you combine some independent trips/visits with a typical tourist visit, then, it will ok.

Miguel cervantes
Username: Spanishschools

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Ludger
i just came across a cool page for people looking for spanish language schools in argentina. for people who want to learn spanish at a on of their spanish language schools in argentina, they offer big discounts. The page is http://www.spanish-schools.com.ar
Espero te sirva
saludos.-

(Message edited by admin on September 18, 2007)

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am working on something for a client and needed to know if anyone can recommend any good volunteer opportunities for an older single gentleman who doesn't have any Spanish language skills at all. He's planning on doing some classes and can do them as a part of a volunteer opportunity or separate of.

I have to compare BA's programs to Medellins and so far have some possibilities but not much for the volunteer part.

someone must have some suggestions? anyone? Roberto?
oh and "Saint" I'll be in touch with you about some accomodations for this same person.

thanks

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Miguel cervantes
Username: Spanishschools

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Laura
visit this page
http://www.spanish-schools.com.ar/
Regards

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura, did you receive the private message about South American Explorer's Club from one of the members? Just want to know if the pm system is working properly as I got a copy about it... Adding to the member's pm I have found the organization's contact info:

Salguero 553 (y Corrientes > Almagro)
phone: 4861-7571
Email: baclub@saexplorers.org
Web: www.saexplorers.org

They may have the answers you are looking for.

movingtoargentina.typepad.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

nope didn't get a pm. I never thought about them but I will contact them if I need more info. Thanks for all the info.

Laura
Ebook Moving to and Living in Buenos Aires, Argentina
http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It basically recommended that you contact them as they apparently have some volunteer/spanish-related gigs going on in La Boca. This script doesn't have the best pm system for its members. I personally do not like it. I will see if I can find a perl programmer working to improve it.

Adam Williams
Username: Adjwilli

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you're looking to learn just the Argentine way of speak, check out www.voseospanish.com but if you're looking for a more general introduction to Spanish, check out www.onlinespanishhelp.com. Both are really great in that they have a lot of interactivity and games so you won't get bored while studying.

(Message edited by admin on January 09, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration