Dual citizen... how to enter argentina? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Dual citizen... how to enter argentina? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Bogner
Username: Rbogner1281

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi -

I planning a trip to Argentina in the next few weeks. It will be my first time there.

I am a USA citizen and have a valid USA passport.

I just acquired Argentine citizenship and I have a DNI, but I do not yet have an Argentine passport. I plan to get one while in Buenos Aires.

When entering the country should I get in the line at the border for Argentine citizens and hand them my DNI and USA passport and explain that I am a citizen but don't yet have a passport?

I assume that should be OK and that I shouldn't have to pay the reciprocity fee, but maybe I should be getting in the non-citizen line instead?

Thanks for any hints about this.

roberto galea
Username: Sartre

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you have DNI, USA passport and fingerprints on file (since you are a citizen of Argentina your finger prints are on file) just go to the line and hand the agent your DNI and passport and she will take your thumb fingerprint to make sure it's a match. She will stamp your passport and you'll be on your way. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes between standing in line and getting your passport stamped.

Suerte

Carmen
Username: Carmen

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Make sure you hand the Migration Authority your DNI first and second your US passport so they do not charge you reciprocity fee.

What colour is your DNI?

Now, Argentines with due Argentine passport are allow to use a second nationality passport.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto: yes, my fingerprints were taken at the Argentine Consulate in LA and my DNI has a picture of my thumb print on the back of it. I dipped my fingers in ink at the consulate and I assume they digitized the fingerprints. Thanks for the information.

Carmen: I have a "nuevo DNI" -- it's just a card about the size of a US license, with a photo on it (like the card seen here: http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/) Because of a weird mistake, my photo has a blue background instead of a white background and my head is slightly turned to the side. You will have to read my other forum post to understand why, it is a long story of Argentine bureaucracy (http://www.travelsur.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi? tpc=199&post=12257#POST12257).

I think when they see my nuevo DNI with the wrong picture on it, they will probably be confused. :C

Thanks for information.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also, once you are done with customs and on your way to exit EZE explore the possibility of getting your new argentine passport right at the airport. Look for the special booths. They will charge you a premium but you will leave the airport with a passport!! Pretty amazing for Argentina.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

roberto:

Yes, I was considering doing this, but I also heard it should be possible to get a passport at most malls in 48 hours and it wil be a little less expensive than getting it done on the spot in the airport. Is this true?

I was hoping to get mine done at the Alto Palermo mall and then return to pick it up 2 days later.

I have a sneaking suspicion they will ask me to first get a new DNI that has the right style of photo before they will let me get a passport, but we'll see.

Thanks.

roberto galea

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was Carmen who recommended you consider doing your passport at the airport. I wouldn't do it; it's too costly. Also, the new passports done at the airport have been falling apart (there is a mention of this on the USA Embassy of Argentina).

Once you're in town go to any of the kiosks and they'll redo your DNI on the spot (rarely is there more than one person waiting) for a cost of about 35 pesos. After you have your corrected DNI you can apply for your passport.

Suerte

Carmen

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You got the new DNI, that is good as the card shape is much convenient than the previous booklet shape, allthough I miss the like blue colour from the old one...

One of the best things this goverment has done is changing the system for identifying people (there is a new processig plant), the new Law of Identity and changing the colour of our old booklet shape DNI to the light blue. The old militar green was a vestige of the militar dictatorship times.

The picture format does not affect the validity of your DNI at all.

By the way, Roberto Galea, I have not recomended the airport stand to do the Passport but I am courious to know where in the USA Embassy they talk about the quality of our passports.

Thank you.

roberto galea

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen, sorry, I got confused, it was Roberto the Adminastrator who posted about the possibility of getting the passport done at the airport. The additional cost of 900 pesos to get the passport done at the airport isn't worth it. It seems to me it should only be used as an emergency.

Here is the posting from the American Embassy. To get to it you need to enter in the section about "non" and "immigrant visas".

"7) DISCLAIMER:
a) Damaged Passport: We have recently noticed that the laminate covering the biological page in many new passports is fragile and easily damaged. While our staff will take every precaution in handling these passports, the US Consulate would like to remind all visa applicants that we are not responsible for any damage that may occur to this laminate during the visa application process. In the event that the laminate on your passport is damaged,, please direct any complaint to the Argentine Authorities.
It is important to mention that we are unable to accept damaged passports, and it is the applicant’s responsibility to check all documents before submitting them."

Carmen

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Roberto Galea. I have not seen yet any new passport so I did not know about the alleged "fragility" of it.

Carmen

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Although the cost of having the passport done at the airport is expensive ($900 compared to the regular $400, or $500 when done in shopping malls or so) it is super convenient to have that option.

Believe it or not, there is a lot of people that finds out at the very last minute their passport is no longer valid, so it is an executive solution for them and worth the price to get out of trouble.

Carmen

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Regarding the waiting times for a new passport, what I read in the Ministerio del Interior website is that it takes 15 days to arrive to your home. So you cannot go and pick it up. They deliver it.

If you book an appointment through their website the next available day is February 4th. So is better to plan it with time.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen: I read on this website: http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/pasaporte/pasaporte_ express.php that you can get your passport done in 48 hours.

You are right about delivery -- this might be a problem for me since I will probably be staying at a hotel or renting an apartment on airbnb, but I'm sure I will figure something out.

Thanks.

roberto galea

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I actually did see the Argentine passport with the “alleged fragility”; it’s not a pretty picture (pun intended). The laminated part appears chintzy as if the manufacturer cut corners in order to save costs. Maybe it’s intentional sabotage on the part of a foreign power “como la Santísima Trinidad a una mano negra o un sabotaje.”(See the story in yesterday's La Naciòn). However, it’s highly unlikely that the “alleged fragility”of the passport is due to corruption. I’m sure that a contractor producing the “alleged fragile” passport under no circumstances is returning a part of the value of the contract to some corrupt official. After all the exponential growth of the “alleged patrimonios” of various people in power is just a sensation or a misperception and not a reality.

Carmen

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard Borgner,

The link provided is for the Express Passport. If you do it in Alto Palermo is $1000. The express services is prepaid. You need a code to apply. They say delivery is 48 hours.

The only thing I am not so sure about is the address shown in your DNI. Perhaps they requiere a BA address to deliver?
Also, I am not sure if you can pick up} the passport at the Shopping Stand....

Carmen

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto Galea,

When the investigation of the ship that took the troops to Malvinas is finished, we will know what happended, if it was Navy's indolence or what.

In the meatime, what we do know is Great Britain is not selling us ship parts and that from 2004 it is used as a source of parts to the Destructor Hercules which is identical, although as everybody knows, we are not engaged in any war at all and the last 2 where in 1978 and 1982 under dictatorship.

There was an idea of making the Santisima Trinidad a museum, but soon that idea was abandoned as it would have turned into a very expensive project.

Regarding quality, very few are the products here that actualy have a good quality in Argentina: beef, beef, what else... beef with salad and ensalada de frutas de postre.

Have you ever compared a plastic bag such as Ziploc, one bought in the USA and the same bought in Argentina? The quality is completly different, same product, same brand, different market, very different quality. The zipper does not lock here as well as the US version, the consistency of the plastic is different.

Every coin has 2 sides and there is no way to choose one side without the other.

Regarding Tax returns published in La Nacion, people mostly read the title of the news and stick to it but hardly ever takes the time to analyze the content of all the Tax Returns referred.

Carmen

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I forgot to mention that The Santisima Trinidad does not navigate since 1994.

roberto galea

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen, I’m in agreement about the old adage, “every coin has two sides”. The problem in Argentina is that there are many corrupt officials who steal the coin and then try to convince their fellow patriots that they “worked hard at their profession to earn it.” Also, in Argentina it’s common to see a coin with the same face on both sides. If the coin comes up heads or tails they win.

I find it interesting that during these past difficult economic years in which the best investors in the world along with the common man lost or barely made money, but here in Argentina those in power saw their “disclosed assets” go up as much as ten fold.

Carmen, you sound like an apologist for these crooks. Maybe, it’s just the old Argentine soberbia (extreme pride) rearing its ugly head again (like a Greek tragedy) keeping the Argentines in a state of selective blindness.

As regards to The Santisima Trinidad, I think you spoke too soon. The commentary in this morning La Naciòn clearly documents the lack of funds for maintenance of military boats but plenty of funds for functionaries:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1549556-buques-de-guerr a-con-escasos-fondos

When you listened to the Commander of the Navy describe the sinking of The Santisima Trinidad as being “suspicious and probably due to foreign sabotage”, were you not offended? He knew well the sinking was due to lack of maintenance because the money was used to pay officials like himself and not for the maintenance of the boat. When he spoke, he sounded like a person who lacked an opposing thumb, was cloven hoofed and walked on all fours.

I’m not surprised that the plan, like the majority of plans in Argentina, to turn The Santisima Trinidad into a “museum” was junked due to the money being stolen.

As to the Ziploc bags all I can say is that many Argentines prefer to cut corners in producing products and not engage in quality improvement programs. Also, there is a lack of investments in the infrastructure of the country and industrial complexes. One more thing; have you tasted how awful the meat is that is now produced in Argentina? Uruguay now sends more meat to other countries than does Argentina. Also, Uruguayan beef is preferred over the Argentine beef. The economic fall is precipitous and, I’m afraid, institutionalized. Argentines keep making the same mistake. You know the great phrase from Santayana; “those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

There is one place where I notice an incredible investments of resources have been used to create a highly efficient organization; The Department of Immigration. Randazzo and his lieutenants have created a model program of giving out visas, temporary and permanent stays visas, DNIs on the spot and passports rather quickly. It is so easy now to get a DNI it always makes me wonder why anyone would use a middle-man to assist in getting a DNI or residency in Argentina.

roberto galea

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen, I forgot to mention the following:

When I place the Argentine passport next to my often used American and Italian passports, it’s incredible how durable the last two are after almost ten years of use, including adding pages to the American passport, as compared to the chintzy new Argentine passport.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi -

I've pasted what the LA consular official emailed me regarding obtaining a passport (I thought it was too long to leave in line here, so I used a paste website): http://pastie.org/private/1zaz0pqir0iapxddwqqw

It is still unclear to me how difficult or painful this process will be for me since I am a new citizen. I was not born in Argentina and I don't live there. I assume this is going to cause plenty of confusion.

Thanks.

Carmen

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard,

Which country is your addresss as it reads in you DNI?

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen,

The address on my DNI is my old address in the city I live in in California.

My DNI took over 2 years to process and I moved to a different apartment so my street address is different, but my city, state, and country are still the same.

I told them this at the LA consulate and they just said "It doesn't really matter"

So, it reads:

DOMICILIO MAIN STREET 111 CITY - CALIFORNIA - ESTADOS UNIDOS
LUGAR DE NACIMIENTO ESTADOS UNIDOS - NEW JERSEY

where 111 main street is no longer the correct street.

Thanks

Carmen

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard,

Yes, I do know that unfortunately it took so long for your DNI to arrive.

Your processing of the Passport is a little bit different as the rest, as your are a Citizen living abroad, apparently it takes more time to be issued and the option of 48 hours for what I read, is not going to be an option for you.

I could make a phone call on your behalf and find out a little bit more. For sure going to any stand of any shopping mall is not going to help you, I do not think that will do any progress.

When are you coming to Argentina and how long are you planning to stay? I am calling them tomorrow to find out more information as I am not sure if the "proof of address" you show (your DNI) is going to be sufficient or they are expecting other type of thing (I really hope the do not).

Carmen

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2013 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen,

First I just wanted to say thank you very much for offering your help.

I am planning on coming to Argentina for 3 weeks starting at the end of March until the middle of April.

Thank you

Carmen

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ricardo Galea,

I do not want to engage in an argument but if you think I am an "apologetic of these crooks" or that I suffer of "old argentine soberbia" as you put it that is fine, but I am not although I do love Greek tragedies as it expresses the mysteries of the creation and the suffering of the human beens but I would never relate that to the Tax Returns of the Gabinete.

I repeat, people just reads the news titles but they hardly read the numbers. They do not read the numbers.

Regarding the Santisima Trinidad, I have not spoken, I said we will learn what happened when the investigation is finished. It has not finished yet.

By the way I have not heard Puricelli talk about FOREIGN savotage. I read he did say savotage but not FOREIGN. (Pretty soon to talk about savotage anyways)

Regarding the beef, I have not tried Uruguayan beef lately but I am very happy to learn they are doing great with exports. No problem with that.

Regarding the quality of the argentine beef, I have eaten lately a couple of fantastic asados in the campo in Capilla del Señor and they were as gorgeous lomo, colita de cuadril, asado, vacio, mollejas, chorizo y morcilla as always. May be some find trouble with some beef sold in supermarkets, I rather dont buy meat in supermarkets as it is kind of watery.

About quality and money: products with quality, what a fantastic thing when you can afford it, or when a country is good at producing some quality product, because quality is not cheap, it needs to be thought, planned, invested and paid somewhere somehow somebody pays for it but the so called "third countries" have much more problem in consolidating quality business.

Regarding the Direccion Nacional de Migraciones, they have gone through very important changes in the Administration and the systems; and the improvement is phenomenal in many areas. Not in ALL areas.

The reason why many Foreigners hire the services of a Registered Power of Attorney is because they want to make a better use of their time as they are very busy because of their professional responsibilities, or perhaps they do not speak the language and feel a little bit uncomfortable in that position, or they have many children and it is difficult to drag them all around, or do not have the patience to navigate the system, or their documents present some challenging legal situation where an expert is required or they are abroad and need to arrive to the country with everything in track and under control or because they just have funniest things to do.

One of the challenges of living in a foreign country is to adapt, be flexible and simply accept that things are not like back home, some are better some or even much could be worse and some people is just very bad at been far from home.

Carmen

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am sorry Roberto Galea, I wrote incorrectly your name.

I realized it much later so I could not edit my post.

I apologize.

Carmen

Carmen

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard Bogner,

Today I called the reffered number of RENAPER on you behalf.

They informed me that you need to request an appointment at either Paseo Colon or 25 de Mayo office by phone or through the web site providing complete name, DNI number and a Buenos Aires telephone number.

At the scheduled date you will need to provide your DNI.

You will not be requiered to present a proof of address (comprobante de domicilio).

It will take 15 working days to be processed.

They will deliver it to the Argentine Consulate in the USA.

That will take a month aproximately.

If you like, I could make that phone call for you.

Unfortunately there is no Express or pick up Option for Argentines with an overseas address.

At least this information has saved you from wasting time during your holidays.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carmen,

Thanks for calling on my behalf, I greatly appreciate your time.

I am a bit confused because the LA consulate seemed pretty convinced I could use one of the express passport offices in the mall.

I checked with an Argentine friend who knows an Argentine currently living in Dallas who was able to use the passport express office in a mall. She paid extra, and went back to the mall 48 hours later and was able to pick her passport up at the mall.

Did you see the section of text at the bottom of the link I pasted from the consulate, "NUEVO TRAMITE URGENTE DE PASAPORTES EN 48HS" (http://pastie.org/private/1zaz0pqir0iapxddwqqw) ?

I think I'm going to try checking with some other friends I have who live in Argentina now and have my brothers ask the NYC Argentine consulate and see what they say.

Seems like I will hear a different answer depending on who I ask, haha :-)

I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks!

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Carmen --

So, my brother asked the Argentine Consulate in NYC and they have no idea :-)

I have a few friends who are Argentine who said they think I will be able to use pasaporte express in the mall, but they aren't sure.

I think I am going to call RENAPER offices to make an appointment during my trip. If the pasaporte express office at the mall allows me to get my passport there, then I will just cancel my RENAPER appointment. If they don't, then at least I'll still have my appointment.

Thanks.

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Woman I spoke with at RENAPER offices had no idea what was going on and insisted that I use the website. I'll call back on Monday maybe get some one else this time :-)

Joe

Richard Bogner

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi -

Just an update for anyone who was following this:

Entering the country

This is my first time ever in Argentina and also my first time entering as a citizen.

I got in the line at immigration labeled "Argentinos" and handed the border agent my DNI and US passport. He was pretty confused that I was born in the US and have only been an Argentine citizen for 2 years or less.

He asked me some questions like where are you staying, who is the Argentine in your family (father or mother) and where were they born, what was your flight number, etc.

Obtaining a passport once in the country

To get a passport I scheduled a 'turno' using this website: http://turnos.mininterior.gov.ar/turnosWeb/. I gave the phone number of a relative of mine, but if you came to Argentina and didn't have a relative you could probably get a SIM card for your cell phone and use that number.

Then, I took a subway and bus over to the RENAPER office, showed the guard at the door the print out of my turno and then started the process.

The process is pretty straight forward and pretty streamlined, even for some one like me who can't speak much Spanish.

You will start at reception where they will check your turno to make sure you are there at the right time and such.

Then you will move to verification where they will ask you what type of transaction you want to do, check your documents, and enter some stuff into the computer.

After that, you go over to payment and you can pay for your passport in cash if you wish. At the time of this post the cost for a passport which would be delivered in 2 weeks was 400 ARS, and the cost for a passport which would be delivered in 48 hours or less was 900 ARS. I decided to pay 900 ARS just for peace of mind.

After paying the 900 ARS, I was told to go back over to verification because I wanted them to mail my passport to the address of my mother's friend who lives in BA. I gave them her address and was given a number and a color and told to go sit in an area.

I sat waiting for approximately 8 minutes until my number was called. I went over to the booth it listed, they checked my DNI, made a copy of it, took finger prints from both hands, and then took my passport photo.

And that was it.

I paid 900 ARS to receive my passport in 48 hours, but my mom's friend called me less than 24 hours later to let me know she had received it already. I will be picking it up from her in a few hours, but I think everything worked fine.

I also wanted to note that I believe if you live abroad (like me) you can have your passport sent to what appears to be a mail center (sort of like the Argentine version of FedEx or something) called OCA.

It seems that OCA has mail offices all around the city and you can get your passport sent to one of their offices, show up there, and obtain your passport.

My mother's passport was sent to an OCA office in the city center near the Obelisk -- I have no idea why they refused to send my mother's passport to her friend's house, but whatever.

We already picked up my mom's passport from the OCA office it was delivered to and everything was fine.

Hope this post helps some one else, and thank you to everyone who tried to help me.}}

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for sharing with us, Richard! Great experience and not that common.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration