GETTING TO RUTA 40 Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » GETTING TO RUTA 40 « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

robert spano
Username: Motoman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be on my way by motorcycle from California to ushuia in September or early October.I might use Chile's careterra austral to work my way down there,but i am now leaning toward taking Ruta 40 all the way.I will be in Lima for a while, then i will leave from there. How does one get over to pick up la 40? Is it better to go through Bolivia? Down partway to chile? Also, i heard years ago that they were in the process of paving la 40. Did this ever happen? How long would it take to get all the way down (excluding the days we will sight see and fool around on the way down).
Gracias!
Roberto

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, welcome!

This is just "ojo de buen cubero" advice and you may no have to follow it. Also, my information may not be up to date. I would prefer to enter Argentina via Chile and not Bolivia. Bolivia -attractiveness aside- poses some health risks specially when it comes to water. You can cross into Argentina via "Paso de Jama" then connect with route 70 south, ride 85 km to route 51 east, make a turn and continue 60 km to route 40 (San Antonio de los Cobres). 51 and 40 join here.

Route 40 is the most scenic highway in all Argentina. You will ride across the most beautiful towns, cities and landscapes. But there may be a few sections that are unfinished. Just south of San Antonio de los Cobres I see a stretch of 43 km that is just dirt. Could be out of date, as I said. Most seems to be paved or "consolidada" which means ok to drive. Route 40 takes many twists and turns so it is very difficult to assess the time it may take to travel throughout. From where you might start could be as much as 4,500 km.

Carlos Gelbart
Username: Buellwinkle

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That sounds like one awsome trip. What kind of motorbike? Are you going to keep an online blog with pictures?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration