Buenos Aires - Ruta 3 - Peninsula Valdés Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Buenos Aires - Ruta 3 - Peninsula Valdés « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruno
Username: Bbr

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We plan in February 2012 to drive from BsAs to Puerto Pirámides and back. We have calculated 3 days down and 4 days back. Down we plan to stop near Sierra de la Ventana and back we plan to drive through Viedma - Mar del Plata (or vice versa).

A) Are there any places we must visit ? (e.g. Parques Nacionales, etc.)
B) we would like to stay when ever possible in estancias - any recommendations ?
C) we used in the past to plan our trip http://www.ypf.com.ar/guia/ - since they changed their website I hardly can find things - any other pages you recommend to do the same ?
D) google map and YPF recommend from San Antonio Oeste to Sierra Grande a "desvio" of 450 km (or 6 hs or more). Is Ruta 3 between these locations closed ?

Thanks for your help !

Bruno

Desvio along Ruta 3 San Antonio Oeste to Sierra Grande

David Cummings
Username: Tierraman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bruno my name is David Cummings. I am the owner of Estancia La Margarita in Tapalque near Azul which you will pass on the route 3 . Its a lovely estancia and we welcome guests in our self catering units or full catering . Our web page is www.estancialamargarita.com and email address is estancialamargarita@gmail.com
Please let me know if you need a questions answered.
Have fun on your trip
Saludos
David Cummmings
By the way i write a blog on life on an estancia and things in general in Argentina if you are interested here is the link
http://englishgaucho.blogspot.com/

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Bruno. Sorry for the delay. Besides stopping at David's ranch -which I recommend- I believe there are a few *interesting* spots along the route you selected.

1. Very close to San Antonio Oeste there is a little known beach with warm waters called "Las Grutas". I think it is worth a visit.

2. According to red line on the map, you could drive a little further while on 250 and make it to Choele Choel which is a picturesque old town with a lot of history.

3. On your way down to Puerto Madryn you will drive through Sierra Grande. Not much to see, so I'd say head south and try to spend as much time as possible in the area of Puerto Madryn / Peninsula Valdes prior to settling in Puerto Piramide.

If I were on this trip I would try to make it to P. Piramide as fast as possible. Too much to see down there.

Bruno
Username: Bbr

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Roberto,

thank you for the message - I saw las Grutas on the map and we will stop there. How about the area of Sierra de la Ventana - would you recommend to stop there for one or two days (and do some hiking). I have seen a couple of nice pictures but would appreciate some guidance.

I drove three years from Zapala to the Peninsula - I know some of the region and we drove through Sierra Grande. On the way back (the same way) we got into a horrible sand storm and the front window of the car was broken after the storm. The sand destroyed the window - thousands of little holes ...

You mention Puerto Madryn - is it worth going to Punta Tombo - Trelew - I have heard different things - last time we spent 5 days on the peninsula and we are now planning to go back there - I agree - lots to see !

Bruno

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Punta Tombo definitely worth it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration