Travelsur Home | Blog | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Tasa de reciprocidad « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just landed here and customs charged my son -an american citizen- u$d 140 before they even got to check our passports for entry. So it is a sort of VISA for US citizens that lasts 10 years. Argentines who have become US citizens do not pay, even if the only document for entry is their US passport. Be aware of prices though. They are crazy. We were told about this at the Miami airport with a tag of $120. The leaflet we were handed on the plane said $131 and it was finally $140 in Ezeiza airport.

I will write another post on prices/inflation. Really bad and getting worse. I never expected to see red meat prices more expensive than in Miami grocery stores. Well, it is happening. I was truly shocked to see food prices -in dollars- in this mornings visit to a DISCO store. I was here last April/May and I can't remember having had this feeling of pesos slipping through my fingers.

Nelieta Mishchenko
Username: Tinktinkie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is sad to see food prices rising so much in Argentina. Last year we paid 5 pesos per kilo for chicken, now it is double. Red meat (Lomo) was 10 pesos per kilo now we pay 30 pesos! We cannot afford to eat red meat anymore!

The price for the vis is interesting. How much is the USA charging Argentineans to enter the country? Is it the same because then I believe the system is fair.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nelieta, we were told at the airport that $140 is the same price the US charges argentines visiting. So apparently that is where the "reciprocidad" comes in. The old "Hammurabi code" eye for eye. I will report later on prices once I absorve the shock.

Nelieta Mishchenko

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes that is exactly what they call it "an eye for an eye". Argentineans were charged an entrance fee to enter the US but this rule never applied to US citizens entering Argentina. The price of $140 came into effect on 4 June this year.

I find it interesting that the fee only applies when you fly into EZE..the ferry trip to Uruguay will not costs anything extra :-)

Carlos Gelbart
Username: Buellwinkle

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Would be cool if in protest, people went through Montevideo, but most people are not that savy, they don't even know they will get hit with this fee until they arrive and it's too late. Luckily I did not have to pay, but my wife did and it was $131 earlier this year. Don't think it would be that easy to avoid EZE if flying in from the U.S. Never seen flights from the U.S. into Newbury.

Nelieta Mishchenko

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carlos, there are some International flights now into Cordoba (Pajas Blancas). But I think most people still fly into EZE. The new price came into effect on 4 June.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Florida for reasons of climate and modern methods for moving water, reclaiming land, transportation and federal subsidy(cattle can free range on government land for subsidized fees) can produce beef far more efficiently than any place in Argentina. Argentina produces a lot of beef but not efficiently. You don't let cattle trample the land into a concrete hard pad, allow run off into fresh water lakes. You don't use barb wire in place of electrified wire,have no organized futures market for cattle if you want to produce cheap beef.
By all means price in $US. Who knows what the Peso is really worth or what it will be worth tomorrow?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration