Staying In Touch By Mobile/Cell Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Staying In Touch By Mobile/Cell « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zachary Morgan
Username: Zachary

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, I'm going to be in Buenos Aires for 3 months, but my apartment doesn't have a telephone. I was wondering the best way of keeping my mobile in use without having to pay astronomical fees for making/receiving calls from the UK, and also using it for local calls? Is it best to get a SIM in Argentina, or is there some sort of other way around it? At the moment I am just using pay-as-you-go...

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 332
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zachary, welcome!

Many of our passengers get a prepaid cell for little over usd $35 with 50 minutes in. Then, load it as it is being used. Prepaid cards can be bought anywhere and everywhere. Some have requested the international call feature "on" in order to make calls abroad. Not sure how much more expensive this is.

I know some other peole are using vonage. A few days ago someone posted an ad regarding cells and communications in Argentina. You can check it here. However, the forum does not endorse these ads.

Zachary Morgan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you very much, Roberto.

I did look at that ad but it seems more suited to Americans. Where are these prepaid cells avaiable, and are they easy to get hold of? I've never visited BA before so am going blind here!!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are a number of offices where you can get them. We always get them at TCI in Lavalle and Florida, downtown. But anyone at your place of stay will be able to tell you. Some places may have long lines though.

Laura Zurro
Username: Sapphos

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zachary,

There are many cells that won't work in B.A. it all depends upon your system and how it's read in B.A. we have Tmobile and Gsm phones and they are supposed to work but out of three times they have never worked.

Yes you can go to a Movistar, buy a prepago phone, they will want your passport. We paid a bit more at Movistar around $240 pesos including a $50 peso card, this is around $80 U.S. a little more than Roberto said. I would love to know where to find for 35 U.S. without a DNI, please someone tell me, as we'll another three or four phones.

On the prepago you can receive calls for free but you'll eat up your phone card very quickly calling out. I would recommend mixing this with internet cafes where you can call long distance through skype - computer to computer for free and computer to phone for a VERY nominal charge. I rather prefer it to Vonage. There are internet cafes everywhere in BA and if you have a laptop you can go to a good WIFI cafe and call from your computer, but the connection will have to be fast enough.

hope this helps!
Laura

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All
For my guests here at the Quinta, I got them a Motorola cell from Movsitar, for 100 Pesos, and I give it to them for emergency use, with a 10 pesos card.. For that I didnt need a DNI, just my passport.

Zachary Morgan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, and thanks for the extra input. Sorry to be an ignoramus here...but what is a DNI?!?

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DNI= Documento Nacional De Identidad (National Document of ID)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It states that your place of residency is Argentina. Mine, for example, states that my address is in the US.

Laura, if you are in Buenos Aires call my mother's office and talk to Danielito and ask him where exactly he buys the phones. Phone is 4322-8147. It is somewhere on Lavalle st. between Florida and Maipu. On December I got one for $90 pesos and within an hour I was talking...

(Message edited by admin on February 18, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration