Car rental Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Car rental « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

canadiense
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd like to rent a car during my trip to Argentina. Will I require an international driver's permit, or will my Canadian driver's license be sufficient?

thank you.

javier Garcia Poquet
Username: Javiogarcia

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

With the Canadian will be ok. And check buying befor renting, shure will be cheapper. Contact if you need help.

F. Harrington
Username: Tarheel

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Canadiense: I have never had to present an international drivers lic. down there but it never hurts to have one. I wouldl not buy a car down there as someone suggested. There are too many red strings attached and you could get taken!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is not a bad idea to just *check* as it was suggested. But I would definitely be cautious. You may find something really cheap... and a lemon.

javier Garcia Poquet

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

visit www.autofoco.com.ar divide it by 3. Or www.deautos.com Its easy to resell it at the end of the trip if you take care of the car. Myself will be one of the possible interested. I don´t know what means "too many red strings attached ".

Laura Zurro
Username: Sapphos

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What city are you planning to rent the car? Yes you can get away without an international drivers license although the consulates will tell you that you need it for the locations outside of Buenos Aires, but we rented in Mendoza with no problem and drove to the Chilean border as well. Price is pretty reasonable in Argentina, but in places like Mendoza you can end up with a pretty beat up car that's not fun to drive in the mountains.

Regarding buying a car just for the trip, you usually need a DNI to register a car which means you need a visa other than a tourist visa. Anyone is happy to sell you the car but getting it registered is another story.

One other thing, do not carry anything more than 100 pesos in your wallet in case you are stopped by "la policia". If you need "offer" to "pay" the ticket at the time you are stopped you won't want to have too much money in a visible spot, and if you have to offer to pay the ticket (basically you're putting the money in someones pocket) be careful how you do it so as not to offend - maybe offer "but I won't be here to go to the courts - can I pay it sooner maybe now?" I know this for a fact because we just went through it in B.A. this past trip and learned the hard way about what I'm explaining. Always be careful on Libertador Ave or Santa Fe Aveif you're heading towards the northern suburb or to pick up the highway - the police love to hang out there looking to stop whoever they feel like!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Following up on Laura's post, what she refers to is called 'coima'. But don't ever mentioned this word to anyone engaging in the scheme because it will not sound proper. If police wants to get some money out of you they will give you indications in a very clear fashion or -as Laura just said- wait until you take the initiative through a simple, innocent question. And about those two avenues, I think the point is that once you cross the city limits headed north you are basically in another jurisdiction where enforcement lies on police from great Buenos Aires. Great Buenos Aires police has been known to have some more *issues* than the federal one which operates within the City.

Laura Zurro

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Funny, the policeman was very nice (of course), asked who's car it was (duh it says Localiza on the back window so of course he already knew) and when he asked when we were leaving - whoops the day we would have to pay "just happened" to be a couple of days after our flight back to Miami so after about five minutes back and forth, my husband finally gently asked if there was some way to take care of it today...and all of a sudden the ticket price became a bit less, "but we don't have that much on us now he protested (gently of course) we only have *** so what should we do, at which point he finally gave in and took what we had - guess it was enough. By the way, the police don't make much of a salary there so it's not really unusual at all that this happens. My husband has traveled all over the world and said that it reminds him sometimes of places in Africa - albeit much more civilized. Argentina by the way, is one of his favorites of everywhere he's traveled.

Riyad Anabtawi
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi..Laura..
I have bought a car and I didnt need a DNI.. The buyer should apply for a CDI in the municipalidad, with any 2 witnesses to sign proof of residence..
In fact I bought my house here with just that.

Laura Zurro

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Riyad, yes it's pretty easy to buy a car without a DNI but where did you register the car in B.A. or outside and what did they ask you for as far as documentation? Are you on a tourist visa or are you on another type of visa?

It's true too about the CDI it's very easy to get and even possible to get just staying at someones house and listing their address.

p.s. nice website beautiful house

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura..
Thanks for your nice comments about my website..
Yes that is all I did when I first came here.. Infact I was on a tourist visa then. Documentation then was just a passport and my foreign drivers licences. Now I have a "precaria", sort of a permanent visa waiting approval.. ha ! some wait.. 5 years now..buroacracy rules ok here..
Cheers

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way Laura, your website is absolutely fabulous! Great links there! Good job! Wanna exchange links ?
Also my car is registered in Mendoza..
Riyad

javier Garcia Poquet

Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have just call car register (registro del automotor) they tell me that if you are tourist or traveller you declare in any police station the place of living, this is call an address certificate (certificado de domicilio) the same in the car store, then with the passport and these two papers, the car register make the paperwork to the new owner. This is ok for those staying more than 2 months.
Javier

Kris Sullivan
Username: Llamalover

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I are planning our trip to Argentina and Antarctica. This is exciting! We will leave on Jan. 1 and be gone for 2 months. We have roundtrip plane reservations from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires. We plan to fly to Ushuaia from BA, take our Antartica trip and then rent a car in Ushuaia to tour Torres del Paine and the other national parks in the Lake District in Chile. Is there a way to avoid the expensive drop off charges when returning the car to BA? Do rental companies need drivers to return cars to BA from Ushuaia? Can we drive a rental car on the gravel roads such as Route 40? We're just starting the planning process and would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Kris from Los Angeles (California)

Beverly Adams
Username: Beverly

Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kris,

I've only lived here two years (in Esquel, Chubut), and we've rented a car just for short trips around the area. (we rented from Avis). A couple things we learned...the free mileage is very limited, I think ours was 200Km, which goes by very quickly and if you plan to taking the car to Chile, you'll need to rent a car that is licensed to to to Chile. Our Avis agent only had one car insured to go to Chile, so it would be best to check it out thoroughly before you rent.

Our gravel roads aren't very good, so if you rent a car, you'll need to plan on more time for slower travel.

Hope that helps.
Beverly

Beverly Adams

Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello again,
Another thing to consider. During the high season (Dec-Mar), it may be very difficult to just walk into a car rental place and rent a car, because they don't have a lot of cars available, you may want to consider making an advance reservation.

Annabel McNaught-Davis
Username: Annabel_0410

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Guys,

Great site - very helpful. Basically was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out by answering a few questions...

I've been to Argentina quite a few times before and have decided I now need to buy a car there. In the past I have always just had a tourist extended visa - can you own a car in Argentina without living there full time? I have a friend's address where I could register the car - is this all you need? Also what is a CDI and a DNI? Just need to be sure. Would be really grateful for any advice on the best way to start!

Gracias.
Annabel :-)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Annabel!

In case noone else answers, pm Riyad or Laura (movingtoargentina) because they have experience with this.

Riyad Anabtawi

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Annabel
I am now an expert at this!
CDI is like a unique number (Like a Social Sec. #) and you obtain that at the local AFIP, the IRS here, you need 2 witnesses to prove your residence.
And you need this number to be able to purchase real estate or car.
Otherwise you will not be able to buy those things.
DNI is Documento Nacional de Identidad. (ID)
You do not need DNI to buy anything here, but you do need a CDI. And you do not need to live permanently here to buy anything. You could very well purchase the car and have it parked in your friends house while you are away.
Hope this helps
Riyad

craig shell
Username: Craig

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was speaking to ARCA and they told me you do not need a DNI # to purchase real estate but you need a DNI# to sell you real estate ? Is this the case?

Jeremy Vogler
Username: Jvogler

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on buying a car. I plan on spending 6 months in Bariloche. Would I be better off buying in Bs.As. (in terms of car price and selection, etc.) or will I be likely to find something reasonable in Bariloche? I'd appreciate any input you might have.
Thanks,
J

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My gut feeling only. If you are going to be all that time in Bariloche, buy from locals.

Try

Nahuel Automores
Dirección: V.A.O'Connor 963 0
Phone: 54(2944)435963

AUTOBARILOCHE SAN JOSE
Dirección: V.A.O'Connor 820 0
Phone: 54(02944)426281

Miguel Pena
Dirección: Gallardo 745 0
Teléfono 1: 54(02944)423800

Autosur Patagonia
Dirección: Frey y V.A.O'Connor 0 0
Teléfono 1: 54(02944)435374

Would not know if data is up to date. I think there are plenty of dealers down there.

Jeremy Vogler
Username: Jvogler

Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
Thanks for the advice and the contacts. This is a great site.
J

David Womack
Username: Womack

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I'm considering renting a car in Calafate when we travel in a couple of months. Will I need special documentation or a fee to cross into Chile with the rental car?

Beverly Adams

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You don't need special documentation personally, but the car needs to be insured to travel to Chile. Make sure to tell your car rental agency that you plan to take the car across the border. They have the special insurance and paperwork that the car needs, and may only have a few cars available that are licensed to travel to Chile. Reserve early.

john keegan
Username: Jono

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello there guys, just searching for some straight talkin advice. Me and my girlfriend are heading to argentina tomorrow for what we hope is the begining of a six month stay in south america. From past experiences we have decided that we would like to buy a car as it is the best way to get around and be your own boss. We dont have alot of money so we'd just be buyin an old heap and drive it till it blew up or we were heading home again (some other lucky backpacker might inherit it). I have got a full european drivers licence as well as an IDP. However i was wondering what documents i need to make the car legal on the road and wether i need insurance or even what type. We also plan to visit chile, peru and bolivia, do we need additional documentation if we want to drive through these countries. We arrive in B.Aires but will be heading out into the countryside as we have some farm work lined up, would it be easier to buy out there?

Bedford Alvis Brown
Username: Bedford_brown

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

At present I am in college taking Diesel Technology courses.My majors are Diesel Electronics and Machine Shop, (Rebuilding Diesel Engines as well as gas engines.)as well as correcting electronic problems. The question is are there american or German companies in Argentina that I could go to work for and what kind of money would I earn in the above noted field?...
I understand you are asked lots of questions. Any information you might be able to send me will be greatly appreciated...Thank You

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

John and Bedford, welcome!

1. how to buy a car in Argentina (Thank you, Riyad).

2. I don't have a solid knowledge on the subject but Argentina has a strong natural gas engine market for cars (natural gas comprimido). In fact, almost all cabs are dual powered and last I heard of was that manufacturers had been successfully exporting turn key solutions, like whole plants. Briefly, there may be someone out there that values your experience/background.

Merchants
Lincencees I doubt any foreign companies though... Specially under the present gov. Maybe chilean or spanish ones.
Distribuitors

Danielle Nicole
Username: Danielle

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do I need to rent a Truck (4x2) or will a Car (Yaris) be ok for traveling through Argentina & Chile?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Depends on your driving plans but take into account you will be crossing the Andes. A regular car is fine, but if you venture to the more inhabited areas with rough terrain better to have a 4x4.

Sarah Speirs
Username: Sarahp

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello! Can anyone recommend a company to do a one way car hire from Salta to Mendoza which doesn't cost the earth? The quotes I have had so far were fine for the actual per day rental but the drop off fees are huge! Any recommendations? Thanks

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sarah, this is indeed an issue - most companies are charging 1000 to 1500 pesos for this I hear.

I used a very good company in Salata once, and their drop off fee currently to Mendoza is 700 pesos.

Here is the info:

Operadores Logisticas
Ariel
jemecheru@argentina.com
cell: 0387-15-509-3201

Good luck!

Jim Peers
Username: Maskii

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My name is Jim and new to this site but already am impressed with how helpful people are. My questions are similar I guess. I plan on an October visit to arriving in either Mendoza or San Rafael and renting a car for 2 weeks and bringing it back to where I rent it from. Some said very expensive to rent but exactly how much is that for a 2 week,weekly or daily period? Now I noted in an earlier post about unlimited KMs but it seems there are limits or do some rentals really have unlimited KMs? I plan on looking at real estate for possible retirement property and am also wondering if the real estate agents such as Mendoza Properties,Andes Land Properties or Byron Lutz on the internet are the best or only real estate agents? Common sense tells me ther are other real estate agents in the San Rafael and Mendoza cities if so which are the best? Ok enough questions for now. Any help greatly appreciated. Jim

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 131

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jim, welcome and it is a good plan to rent a car and get to know upper and lower Mendoza very well for your purposes. Car rental rates tend to be $30 to $40+ USD a day for your length of contracts ...check your home country car web sites lik Avis, Budget, etc...sometimes you can book a better rate there than here. Make sure you have ample insurance coverage. The real estate agencies you mentioned are 3 of literally hundreds of seller agents here in Mendoza province, and these agents typicaly handle their own "inventory" of properties since cooperation between seller agents is still an evolving subject here. If you want to get wide coverage based on your realistic needs, please feel free to contact us. I provide buyers agent services which are in your best interest, and you pay no more than had you gone through one of the seller agents. In fact, it is odd that a property buyer here pays a seller agent a commission , when the seller agent is working on behalf of the seller in his best interest. Regards, Sean

Jim Peers

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sean
Thanks for your prompt reply. I am sure to have more questions for you. Any idea of the unlimited KMs scenario? Jim

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, unlimited kms does exist. Find out with the agency itself.

Jim Peers

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto. I guess I could also check with a travel agent.

Thomas Harris
Username: Tom_harris

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all, firstly what a wonderfull community of helpful people. I hope some out there have some information for me.

I'm flying from UK to Buenos aires in about 3 weeks and studying for one month in a language school there. After this I want to drive around the continent (across many boarders) recording traditional and folk music of the various regions and cultures. Due to the recording equipment I will need a car/4x4 and like wise due to cash flow I will need to buy rather than rent as I could be on the road for some 3-4 months.

I have read the previous posts and wondering if the picture is sill the same, ie; Do I still need a CDI and will it still be possible to get one?, I won't have a permanent residence although I have friends in north Argentina and in Chile who I could use as an address. I would also consider flying to Chile to buy the car if it was any cheaper or easyer in terms of paperwork. The other big question is Insurance. Can I get cover for many countrys?

I am prepared for lots of frustrating beaurocracy but want to make sure I am as well informed as possible, just a reminder I will have about 1 month to sort this out when I get there, am I kidding my self?

Any up to date info or experiences will be much apreciated, sorry for jabbering on for so long!

All the best Tom.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thomas, welcome! And thank you for sharing your future great trip. In one month you should be able to find the answers you want, not sure about finding the 4x4 deal you are after... Sorry, I can't give anymore straight answers but will write back here if I come across anything.

Bob Frassinetti
Username: Frassinetti

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Fellow Travellers,

Travel Adventure Tour by 4WD Vehicle visiting Argentina and Chile.

I’m organizing a unique travel adventure trip down here in South America for only 3 other travellers apart form my self, the idea is staring out in Buenos Aires and travelling towards Chile, seeing the Pampas, the Andes Mountains crossing over to Santiago de Chile and then south to the Big Island of Chiloe, back across to Argentina, Via Esquel, Route 40, Ruta 40, seeing and travelling on trains, crossing lakes and bays, on paved and unpaved roads, hunting antique tractors, visiting lighthouses and museum, buying art and antiques and sleeping in small towns and villages some times in top notch boutique hotels other time in down and out places… Eating and tasting local foods and drinks, as well as wines … the idea is to have a total adventure in places I have already travelled to and others that I’m not familiar with. All this for an adventure that could well turn out to be a drive of a life time, we would be travelling in a 4 wheel drive vehicle, 4WD this is a good on and off road vehicle….. so far the idea is still being worked on, so its subject to some change, all I wanted to check out is if there are any possible candidates who would be willing to accompany me…… at the same time we would be documenting the trip for deferent purposes… I have'nt worked out any cost for the trip, yet.........But all other expenses; from trip down, to Buenos Aires and back home, from food lodging here and on the road and all person expenses all the way to medical costs if any, all , and each expense for each person, apart, are to be paid by each of the individuals doing the trip, and you can do this threw your local travel agent or any way you feel fit in doing it.

There are some risks involved so its best only to do trip if you are in good health and to let me know of anything before hand …….. ....... ..

Some information on myself, Lonely Planet has me listed as a “friendly and bohemian art dealer guide” on page 49 of its latest edition of Lonely Planet Guide for the city of Buenos Aires. This guide was written by Sandra Bao, and is just out, by the way, a great in view to our City. I'm also known on Internet online magazines and forums where I publish my insiders’ articles and inputs for travellers & dealers on art to antiques dealers, just Google my name! Or Yahoo it! I’m a qualified eBay seller with great feedback! And I have been on line on eBay since 1998. That goes back a long way for Internet users.

See Photo Gallery of just some of the places we would be visiting......... http://www.flickr.com/photos/frassinetti/sets/72157594461348271/

Please feel free to contact me and ask your question, or you can chat with me in our office in Buenos Aires, using Yahoo Instant Messenger ID ( artdealer_ar ) or MSN Messenger ID: ( bob-frassinetti ) ICQ ID ( 78541000 ). Bob Frassinetti, Everything on Art & Antiques as well as Travel Information for Buenos Aires and Argentina by Bob Frassinetti (Phone: +54 911 6965 1955 or in B's A's: 15 6965 1955 ) Invest in Argentina Real Estate an up running opportunity with a Future

The big Island of Chiloe, Chile

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 148

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow this sounds like a fantasic adventure! If you have problems in Mendoza, please look me up. Cheers

Pam Talkin
Username: Pep

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to keep asking the same question but I have been unable to make any arrangements to rent a car in Mendoza and drop it in Santiago. All the car rental websites indicate that no cars are available (in August??!!) or that they don't allow one-way rentals.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 181

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Pam,

yesterday I spoke to my tourism partner in Mendoza - http://www.mendoza.com.ar who reconfirmed to me they handle these car-to-chile requests - why don't you try them?

Pam Talkin

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks WT. I will!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What we were able to find is that the international rental car companies would not allow dropping off cars in another country. I assume your desire is to drive through the cordillera and then -as per your itinerary- stay in Chile. A bus trip will not compare, but have you considered a remise that will drive you to Santiago and then return to Argentina afterwards? It will give you the same kind of freedom. Not sure about the cost.

I did get your email... WTM anticipated me :-)

Pam Talkin

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Following up-- the folks at www.mendoza.com.ar did get back to me and they do provide one-way car rentals to Chile. However, the price is fairly steep, only slightly less than two persons flying (although I'm sure much more beautiful). I'm still considering doing it but I've also started investigating the possibility of hiring a remise to drive us there at our own pace and just throw us out of the car in Santiago. I'll post my results.

Pam Talkin

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, any recommendations as to reliable and safe remises for the one-way drive would be most welcome!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pam, I recently met a remisero in Mendoza who I liked. Let me see if I can get his contact information by wed. next week.

Pam Talkin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto. I really appreciate it. I have been getting some wonderful help from all the forum members.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 215

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, although I'm not in the travel biz, I have been getting feedback that a remise one way from Mendoza to Santiago, for two people, stopping along the way whenever a pasenger wants, to take picture, have lunch, or stare at the glorious peaks, is about 900 pesos. I am curious if this is what you have come up with also. It sounds steep, but then again it could be fair for the time, mileage, wear and tear, and profits...

The drive, non-stop ranges from 5 to 8 hours, depending on traffic and congestion on the two lane highway which is also an international truck route. If you go on a bus it is a bit longer simply because.

What rates have yopu com up with so we can get an estimate of what the market rate could be? thanks

Pam Talkin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

FYI--The one-way car rental I was quoted was 600 dollars so 900 pesos doesn't seems so bad. The one-way flight is also quite expensive. So, barring bad weather, I think a remise is the way I want to go particularly if someone can recommend a remisero who is a good mountain driver (I tend to have white knuckles on hairpin mountain road turns) and has a decent car.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 219

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Pam, how is your Spanish? I ask because some remise drivers, excellent as they are, with great cars, don't speak English.
600 bucks is not worth it, for a one way car rental, in my opinion. I would double check that -

Pam Talkin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually my Spanish is pretty good. Not my native language and not entirely fluent but it was my major many years ago (too many) in college. The $600 rental was the quote from Mendoza.com.ar. My guy and I really wanted to drive ourselves but that's just too much. So 900 pesos, although real money, starts to seem a reasonable compromise.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sean, I do not have rates. We hired a few while we were in the city just to drive us around. I thought I would pass the contact information to Pam so that she could check herself (tomorrow, today is holiday). This particular remisero was polite and knowledgeable with a little bit of english, not much. If I can get quotes I will post them here...

Pam, I think Sean's advise is spot on. Six hundred pesos is decent in my view. Remiseros may also be including a small premium in case their cars break. And like he said, many do not know enough english. But it sounds that will not matter to you.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 220

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

actually it was 900 pesos (not 600) for a private remise trip that I "heard" was the going rate but I wonder if that's inline or not. Yeah if anybody else gets quotes, please post them here but it is a unique and special trip that should be taken, in my opinion.

Here are some of the many views you ge as pass through the highest set peaks of the Andes mountains of all of South Amercia

inmountains

flying pig bbq

hanging out at the top of the andes

Pam Talkin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,

Just wondering if you ever found the name of the remisero you liked. I still have four months so I'm not worried--just trying to sort it all out.

Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pam, I do have their contact information. Erna sent me this by email last week but now can't find it. I promise I will post it here tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Pam, the company is "Brisas" 54(261)-4309100 or 54(261)4307001. The drivers' names are Juan Manuel or Javier.

Pam Talkin

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks!
(Is it possible that the company or the drivers have e-mail?)

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will try to get any emails but this -as many- is an informal operation... not too much of computers.

Pam Talkin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, I completely understand. Just an idle wish.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 230

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

administracion@brisasremis.com.ar

Pam Talkin

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Sean!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Excellent, Sean! I see they have a website too... under construction.

Jorge Sexer
Username: Jorge_s

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello! This is my first message.

I wonder, is it easy to rent a car with automatic transmission in Argentina? I'm thinking of province towns, not B.A.

And, are the rentals significantly higher than for manual cars?

Thanks a lot!

J.S.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Jorge, I missed your post! I am pretty sure automatic transmission is very rare in Argentina. Actually, we used to own one of the few cars that had it, a Ford Taunus. But I can't say impossible.

Jorge Sexer
Username: Jorge_s

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto! Now to next question: do driving-licenses restricted to automatic cars exist in Argentina? I have one like that, but am able to drive a "normal" car too. I was wondering if the police will ever notice that there is a little code in the back of my license meaning I'm only allowed to drive automatics, in case I was driving a manual... (How do Americans do? Many of them have never seen a car with manual-transmission... Do they rent and drive those cars in Argentina?)

Bye!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Uh... that's an interesting one. I have never seen such license in the US and I've noticed you are from Sweden? I really do not have an answer but if I were on your shoes I would not worry too much. Having said this, I would contact any of the rentals in Argentina (Hertz)and ask them directly whether you can drive cars with manual transmission being that your license only allows for automatic. You can also find out about automatic cars... And finally, I would contact ACA (just like the AAA in the US) and ask them too.

Bruno
Username: Bbr

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are several European countries which have this restriction. As soon as the driving training as well as the driving test was done with a car having automatic transmission, your driving licence will be restricted to such cars. Normally such restriction is mentioned on the driving licence.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good to know, thanks Bruno.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration