SIM Card for cell phone Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » SIM Card for cell phone « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carlos Gelbart
Username: Buellwinkle

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a Blackberry that I want to use in Argentina. What's the best place to buy a SIM for local calling and calling back to the U.S.? Also, it would be great if I can use the data capabilities of my Blackberry. Are there companies that offer SIMs and plans with data?

We will primarily be in BA with side trips to Iguazu and Ushuaia.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A few years ago I bought this in Lavalle street but do not remember exactly where. I think you can try visiting Galeria Jardin in peatonal Florida street (downtown) and check the tech stores in there. For sure they will know. That, and anything IT.

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last time I went to Argentina, I tried to buy a SIM card, and I was able to do it, but I had to give my DNI number (I'm Argentinean) and a local address, and I asked the guy why need a DNI and address if it is a pre paid card, and told me that he can not sell anything without a DNI and an address, when I asked what is I'm not Argentinean, his answer was, then I can not sell you a phone.

May be he was just an as.....

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is weird. I heard you have to have proof you own the phone. I can bring my receipt from my local provider in the U.S.

I found this site that shows 3 companies. Is there one that stands out as having better coverage? Claro, Personal, Movistar?

Do these brands have stores throughout BA so I can just walk into their store and have them sell me a sim? I won't have a DNI but I will certainly have US passport if they need an ID.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/argentina.html

To use my U.S. phone in Argentina costs $4.99 USD per minute.

(Message edited by admin on January 30, 2010)

Alejandro Fretes
Username: Afretes

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Needless to say that your phone has to be unlocked.
You can get a sim card pretty much anywhere. Not at an actual cell phone store. It's got to be a place that sells used phones, or accessories. I bought mine accross from the Abasto shopping mall, there is a galleria with a bunch of small stores, very much like a flea market that sells them. I paid AR$10 for it, of course it is a "pay as you go" deal and you have to buy calling cards. I prefer Movistar over Claro or Personal. Movistar has promotions all the time that double your minutes if you buy a card when they send an SMS with a promo of the day.
I also bought one when I was in Rosario for AR$5.

Regarding data, you are not able to use it on these cards. This is only good to make phone calls and send SMS. I took my netbook with me and I would login at, mainly restaurants and cafes.
Whatever you do, don't go for those prepaid plans that are offered at the airport or web sites, they are very expensive.

BTW, I'm also Argentinean and I never had to give my DNI.

Good luck!

MIchael Calero
Intermediate Member
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My intial purchase of a SIM Card from Personal they required me to show them my USA passport. Have it just in case. After that I purchase mintues from http://www.cloncom.com/wir_index.jsp?directionid_from=20 thereby saving me time running around to purchase minutes. I have had double minutes at times.

(Message edited by admin on January 30, 2010)

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was probably because I had to buy the phone....

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 474

Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its all about identification, "they" want to be able to track you down if you use a cell line to help commit a crime, but yeah you can but chips only, and now they sell these prepaid usb modems for data also.

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm now here in BsAs, bought a Movistar SIM for $10. It says to wait for an activation test message. It's been a few hour, nothing yet. It does show GSM and Movistar and good signal strength. It still shows my U.S. phone number.

Once activated, to call that phone it should be 54-9-11-8dig#? Is that correct?

Then once it's activated, does it come with any free text messages of minutes? Where/how do I add minutes? There is a Movistar store nearby but seems like all closes up on Sunday.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that is correct. From the US to argentine cell the dialing should be 011+54911+cell number(with NO 15 added).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration