Proof required to get lower airfare f... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Proof required to get lower airfare for Argentines « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carlos Gelbart
Username: Buellwinkle

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was born in Argentina and have an Argentine birth certificate. I do not have a DNI because we moved to the U.S. before there was such a thing. The consulate's office said it takes 12-14 months to get so it won't be ready in time for our vacation. Will the airlines accept a birth certificate to get a discounted locals air fare for flights within Argentina?

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think you should call the airline, I don't think anyone here can assure you what will happen. Usually the ask for the DNI number, which you have even if you lost it, and a birth certificate does not really proves identity unless showed up with another ID, which in you case probably will be an US passport? Not a big help.

Victor W.

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How old are you Carlos? Sorry to ask, but it really called my atention, my father died 4 years ago, he was 85, and I have his DNI from when he was 18 years old. Just pure curiosity.

Victor W.

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry. Duplicated message

Victor W.

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, my bad, what I have is his "libreta de enrolamiento" the DNI was used in it's place after 1968, I didn't know that, thanks to wikipedia ;-)

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carlos, welcome! Victor had a good point about the DNI. I will try to have a precise answer by tomorrow as my mother is a travel agent down there and deals with this all the time.

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Came to the U.S. in 1963 when I was 7, you can do the rest of the math. Even my cousin which is 4 years older, but came when he was 17 did not have one. He did get it in recent years but it took about a year. A recent copy of my birth certificate is required, so I'm working on that and when I have that, I can apply for my DNI as an Argentine living in a foreign country. Then if I want, I can apply for an Argentine passport.

Hopefully I'll be able to apply for a DNI & passport for my US born kids and my wife. You just never know when things go wrong in a country and you need to make a quick exit, which is how my family ended up in Argentina.

Victor W.

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to make my son Argentinian too, I know is easier when they are kids since the are minors they can't be forced to resig the current citicenship. My wife and I are Argentineans, and he is Chilean, we started the process while living in Chile but then came to th US and never finished it. I have a frien that gies to Argentina every year and he have to pay more because his child are Americans. I heard now americans we will have to pay too to get a "visa" to get into Argentina, the same amount US make us pay to get an American visa.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carlos, according to your last post you do not have argentine passport either. How about "cedula de identidad"? Did you have one before leaving Argentina? Erna can issue "argentine" tickets with just the number from your cedula.

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it easier to get a "cedula de identidad" than a DNI? Can I apply while I'm in the U.S. (online or via the consulate office) or do I have to wait until I arrive in Argentina?

Victor W.

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to this link.

http://www.argentina.gov.ar/argentina/tramites/index.dhtml?frame1=3&tema=8&subtema=161&tramite=1440&ea=3

you can't get a cedula without a DNI or Libreta de Enrolamiento in perfect conditions, don't you have a libreta either?

It sounds to me you have no other option than to do it on the Consulate.

(Message edited by admin on January 27, 2010)

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 470

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola People, I know this doesn't exactly apply to the original question, during the waiting time that I ad residency but was waiting for my DNI, I always pressed the airlines for the residency fare and was given it based on the residency paperwork. Cheers!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Sean.

Carlos, I thought you already had a cedula or libreta civica when you were 7 and still living in Argentina. I think a birth certificate alone will not do it. But as Sean said just paperwork that you have initiated procedures may help.

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have nothing now other than a U.S. passport that says I was born in Argentina. Once I get a current copy of my birth certificate, I will apply for DNI and use the DNI paperwork as proof as suggest. No big deal if it does not work, but it's a chance at saving a few hundred dollars on airfares to Ushuaia and Iguazu from BA.

Victor W.

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very good luck with your paperwork, I know this things can be frustrating.

Carmen
Username: Carmen

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Argentines have their DNI ready in 7 days by mail. First they need to request an appointment by phone and then go to the Re.Na.Per offices for finger prints.

A Cedula de Identidad is issued only to DNI holders.

The DNI of an argentine that never had a DNI number is issued only at the CGP of the jurisdiction of your birth (if you have born in the Capital Federal). You need to provide Partida de Nacimiento. Other requirements will be requested depending on the requisites of your particular CGP. For example, they might ask you to write a letter (with specific wording they will provide) together with two witnesses and see a judge.

Besides your travel needs, if you are planning to have your children's argentine documentation ready in the future, I suggest you to have ready your DNI.

Carlos Gelbart

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

From what I understand, the DNI I would apply for is for Argentinians living in a foreign country and you can only get that from a consulate office.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration