Travelling in south america Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Travelling in south america « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BZ
Username: Bz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hi everyone! we are two girls from europe travelling to south america in january february. i know that thats summer there and tends to be hot, but thats the only time of the year when we can travel. we already made some plans, 1 month in buenos aires taking spanish classes and travelling in the country and another month travelling in south america (bolivia, peru, equador, chile). we checked some prices for the air tickets on the internet and all seemed to be fairly expensive. my question is does it worth booking the flights well in advance or there we can get them cheaper? any suggestions? thanks for all the answers!!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BZ, welcome!

I assume the flights you talk about are all international as in traveling from Buenos Aires to Lima or Quito or another south american capital. I would personally try to book this in advance. Although tourism has greatly diminished in the region, so has the offer so planes have cut back too, perhaps even more than demand. Bottom line is you have 2 reasons why to secure seats:

1. It is vacation time in the south and many locals will travel within the region.
2. There is probably a lot less scheduled flights because of the recession environment.

Unfortunately, it will be difficult to come by good deals. There has been quite a bit of inflation in many countries and although this doesn't affect international tickets which are priced in dollars, it doesn't help either. I think if you are open-minded you could also explore a bus Buenos Aires - Jujuy and then cross the border into Bolivia. Then, you can also hit southern Peru by bus. Chile may also be a good option by bus, such as Buenos Aires - Mendoza - Santiago. There are 4 or 5 crossings into Chile from Argentina. The most common one is the one through Mendoza. Ecuador will have to be a flight.

It looks you may have the time to do buses as opposed to flights. And since this is only a party of two it may even be more fun. Buses have many more schedules, are fairly inexpensive, travel overnight and some routes may offer flat beds (or close) and breakfasts. Buses, in my view and at least in Argentina, are also somewhat riskier than planes. Hope others chime in.

BZ
Username: Bz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for your answer roberto!

then i guess we will have to sit down and basically plan everything ahead..do you have maybe a website where i could check the buses?

thanks,
b.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check the site for http://www.andesmar.com/shop/default.asp for some of your destinations. On this page you can also see prices for some routes. They are in argentine pesos. And this is the website for the Bus Terminal in Retiro. Yes, your kind of trip requires some planning.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration