Request for info for Jan '10 trip Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Request for info for Jan '10 trip « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lynn Mulhall
Username: Lynnjm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all. I have been reading the posts for a while, hoping to get enough information to assist us in planning a trip. We are two couples from the United States traveling to South America in January. We fly into Montevideo in January and fly out of Santiago 15 days later. We are looking for hotels in Uruguay, BA, Mendoza area and Santiago area as well as good restaurant recommendations and things to do in each area. We are interested in history, hiking, eating, drinking wine, and places the locals choose to go. None of us are into the tourist places. Thank you for your help. I look forward to planning our trip using all the information you are willing to share.

Mark Schiering
Username: Qhba

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

In Beunos Aires; Home hotel in Buenos Aires is a nice one although maybe a bit far from the center. You can also consider renting one or two apartment in a nice neigborhood.

Have fun!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides Mark's hotel suggestion you should explore the area of Recoleta/Retiro for good eateries, like

Piegari (Posadas 1042)
Las Nazarenas (Reconquista 1132)
Ligure Juncal 855 (my personal favorite).
Subito Posadas 1029 (italian).

But the list is so long that you may have to overstay just to dine out. This part of the city also has some good, affordable hotels but we may need some more information for better recommendations. What foods do you all enjoy? What kind of hotels are you looking for, expensive, small, boutiques, international chains?

For example, Mendoza has some superb designer hotels in Chacras de Coria very close to the city. Some have been small wineries that have been transformed into accommodations. I visited Adalgiza (http://mendoza.picturesargentina.com/adalgiza/pages/001.htm) a while back and they had a small vineyard in the back producing 5000 bottles of wine a year. The "finca" also had a room for wine tasting (and cheese) and some other ammenities. Very expensive.

I do not think you need to worry about tourists while in BA. Locals dine out almost every night and the place is full of restaurants.

(Message edited by admin on September 07, 2009)

Lynn Mulhall
Username: Lynnjm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Roberto. I knew my question was too broad. We are looking for local; small; boutiques; clean and safe. We do not like international chains. We enjoy eating where the locals eat. Inexpensive and delicious. Not fancy. We like meeting people and talking to them. We like to go where the locals take their visitors. This is the first trip of many and we want to get a feel for the area. It looks like we will be in BA for three nights and then we plan to fly to Mendoza and spend a week there before we take a bus to Santiago. We have made all our arrangements for Uruguay; I hope. We are so excited to make our trip to South America.

Thank you for your help.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

These guys run many boutiques in Buenos Aires and inland states: http://boutiquehotelsargentina.com/hoteles-e.htm. This one looks particularly good and close to the action http://boutiquehotelsargentina.com/hotel-i-marseil ledesanges.htm. In this same neighborhood, I think Bel air can be a good choice. Many little places where locals eat, all over. As said, locals dine out quite often so there is no escape.

The thing is that even in the category of boutiques there are many segments. The hotels I pointed out are classic, the typical french architecture found at the turn of last century. Then, you have the design hotels in Palermo. These are more modern and cater to a younger crowd.

I do not know enough about Santiago to make a recommendation...

Fergus
Username: Fergus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This might not be what you're looking for... but it's my fav' hotel in BsAs... old architecture, design (etc) but... wow!

http://www.morenobuenosaires.com/

And cheap, at least compared to Australian standards, and the 5-star BsAs hotels.

I have stayed several rooms, the last was the "big loft" and was impressed... the rooms really are good value and LARGE.

Boutique too...

Any questions just ask.

Fergus.

(Message edited by admin on September 08, 2009)

Michelle Alison
Username: Michellealison

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My favourite boutqiue hotel is www.carlosvia.com which I have stayed at many times. The owners and staff all speak English and it is situated in a great area, convenient for the metro, buses, taxis and within walking distance to Recoleta and major sights.

(Message edited by admin on September 08, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration