Discount Days/Deals Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Discount Days/Deals « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

spa
Username: Spachick

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have you ever been on vacation and found out that you missed out on something and you'll never get a chance to go to it again.
ie: A free day at the museum, a market that has discounts a certain day, a free performance -matinee, a PWYC (pay what you can) fitness class on a particular day. Well I'm trying to avoid this when I go to BsAs btw Aug -Sept. I'll be all over the city, Recoleta, Centro, Palermo etc. Any suggestions on freebie entrances or discount dinner nights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Spa

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At the risk of sounding too touristy/commercial I'd say you have to visit caminito/La Boca just because of the history of the city. Tango spread(ed > is this the past tense?) at the turn of last century in this part of Buenos Aires and most stories about "guapos", "arrabal", "milongas" and similar happened from here through the San Telmo area. Remember that tango was considered offensive and unwelcomed for a long time before it was adpoted. So when visiting this part of the city you have to immerse yourself in a time when these streets were like a red-district for upper and middle class portenios, which would secretly venture here anyway (isn't it always that way?).

I am not sure if there are tours available to spot the tunnels running in the area of the Pink House (our White House), the port and Plaza de Mayo. To combat invasions from the British empire, the french and Spain, locals built a complex network of underground tunnels to escape/hide in times of peril. From a celebrated highschool (Colegio Nacional Buenos Aires) the tunnels would reach the port in about 10 minutes and that highschool even had a "poligono de tiro" to practice shooting with rifles as a preparation. These practices continued up until recently. At 13, I had to practice this myself in that same school. At the time, some doors to the tunnels were still open (from inside the school) but then they were closed because of the danger posed by the walls falling apart.

I love history! And if I had to pick only one thing in a trip to Buenos Aires, I would not want to miss walking around this area (San Telmo, Plaza de Mayo and south of the city including the caminito area). This is were the action took place back in the days. There are many hidden treasures that even locals would not be aware of like the small building at 25 de Mayo st. and Lavalle st. where the "Consejo de Guerra" is located and used to be an old residence for Presidents. And I only learned about it because I had to spend about a year here during the military draft years. Otherwise, it would have just been another old building for me like it is for the common passerby.

But the above is only valid if you too are into "history" and wish to gain a further understanding of the City and its past.

Take a look here. This is published by the City itself and has indeed many visits that are a must. On this site you will also find information on free tours/walks and similar. The site loads slow but if you have patience you will find what you are looking for. When your trip is over let us know if you happen to have discovered any gems.

(Message edited by admin on July 26, 2009)

MIchael Calero
Intermediate Member
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I totally agree with Roberto about La Boca, I love walking there everytime I visit B's A's. I can just can enjoy lunch outdoors at a restaurant there and watch the Tango Dance , great day out.

spa

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gracias Gentlemen!
I do appreciate it.
Boca it is!
And thanks for the link to the walking tour information.

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello There,

If you would like to see some pictures of La Boca, I have some on my website at:

http://www.iqtechnology.co.nz:80/Album/index.html

Family & friends keep asking me what BsAs is like so I created a small web album that you (or anyone else for that matter) are welcome to look at. They are taken mostly in La Boca, San Telmo (Plaza Dorrego & Avenida Defensa)with a few from other parts of the city & Tigres. I'm not a professional photographer but I think that they do reflect something of the Portenyo culture. They were all taken within the last 2-years so do offer an up-to-date glimpse of what to expect if you're a first time visitor.

Geoff Pearson

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

From Geoff photo album :-)

caminito

MIchael Calero
Intermediate Member
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very nice photos..

spa

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

These are some great responses!
I am however looking for some information on discount meals/restaurants, admissions etc that are only on certain days of the week. I don't want to miss out on anything.
Loved the information on the free walking tours. That will be on my list.
Thanks though. The pictures are wonderful too!
Muy bellissimo!
Spa

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration