US Citizen - TARIFFS - Electronics & ... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » US Citizen - TARIFFS - Electronics & Vehicles « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ana
Username: Elvislover

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone! I have several questions for you all and thank you in advance.

When I visited I was told that as a US visitor I could bring as many electronics as I wanted. I know a friend who took an LCD tv new in the original box and wasn't charged anything. So what is the limit?

Secondly, my son's godfather has lived in the US for about 8 years now. HE plans to return to live in Argentina. We had heard that you can bring your home belongs in a container including 2 cars (if a family). We thought it was an 80% tax on the value of the car. Last week we heard it was up to like 120% or something?

What is the import tax on the vehicle and where is the value determined from? Can you bring a water recreation vehicle or a motorcycle? Even just a scooter type?

Is there a website where can we find a list of the items you can bring and the quantity allowed? We also heard you can bring for example, 3 tv's but if you have more you pay taxes on the rest of them. ?? }}

Thank you all!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

elina overstadt
Username: Agustina

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a US tourist you are limited to $300USD of duty free goods (plus another $300usd of goods bot at a duty free shop) and that is theoretically per family. The way it works now is that they will ask you to fill out a form and put your bags through x-ray. They are looking for laptops, cameras and phones. It really depends on the custom official you have..I have known friends that have had to pay 100% on stuff and if you don't have a receipt showing how much you paid for it you will pay the going rate here in Argentina..for example a friend ended up paying 3000p for a Wii that he left in all its packaging...USED stuff is something else. I suppose you could bring down a used TV or something packaged that way and say it for your personal use, but not likely multiples of something and not in new packaging.

As to the container of stuff, depends on if you are Argentine or a Foreigner and if you are Argentine, how long you have been out of the country, and for a foreigner how long you have been in the country, what kind of tax you pay on personal goods. I don't know anyone unless they are embassy personnel or have diplomatic status that brings a car into the country..there are huge customs on anything with a motor..and depending on its age can be between 50 -100%. Plus you have to have it nationalized once it is in the country which is one of those bureaucratic experiences in Argentina that can kill a person. Talk to a shipping company for specifics..they change constantly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration