Onward Ticket Needed? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Onward Ticket Needed? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

scott mccoy
Username: Smccoy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi - I am from the US and will be arriving to Buenos Aires via Australia for several months of traveling in South America before moving onto the US. Will I need evidence of onward travel, or can I book the flight back to the US after arriving in Argentina?

Also, are flight prices cheaper to book after arriving to South America, or should I book things before arriving?

Thanks.

Scott

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I never heard of Argentina asking for documentation that you are going to leave the country, that probaly only happens in the US where everyone is suspected of illegal immigrant when arrive.

Airfare, in my experience, sooner the cheaper, unless you get lucky at last minute with an offer, but is a bet you can't know if you will win. Prices are changing every minute with fuel prices too.

BIG AL
Username: Bigman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

try a repositioning boat its cheaper that one way air...even more if two to a cabin....leaving Colombia is a problem whemn it comes to paper work and added fees....Argentina is about 18 dollars deparure ax...also go to 1800 Argentina website for cheaper flts.... Big Al some times one way is more than round trip all the best a well traveled New Yorker

Stephen Cunniffe
Username: Stonesisco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi - I was also told I needed proof of onward travel. What is the cheapest means of doing this? Bus Travel? Can somebody recommend a good website for getting cheap tickets?
I will be moving around patagonia for a month or two before moving on - but my travel will be pretty open ended. I have no strict itenery. Therefore I was wondering what is the best/cheapest way to get around the proof of onward travel, I was promised that I needed proof of onward travel to leave my country for Argentina. Can I buy a ticket with no specific dates required - like a open ended ticket? Hope you can help me!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Stephen, welcome. Not sure I understand your dilemma. Are you saying customs in your country will not allow you to travel to Argentina unless you have a ticket? Isn't this supposed to be the air ticket? If for proof you only need *any* ticket and a bus ticket can do, you may have to ask a local to purchase one for you and fax it or mail it. But such ticket will not have your name on it, I do not think so.

Aside from the above, buses would be the best option for you. By far the cheapest way to travel. Safe, convenient and readily available except for a few routes (Calafate, for example).

Stephen Cunniffe

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
Thanks for your response. What I meant was that most people travelling to Argentina only have a 90 day visa. Before I leave my country, (Ireland), I was told by my travel company to buy a bus/plane ticket out of Argentina - as proof of onward travel. I was told if I did not have proof of onward travel then I could be stopped at the airport.

I leave ireland for Buenos Aires next week, so I have to do this before I leave. Because I do not know exactly when I will leave Argentina, and from where, I did not want to spend alot of money on a ticket out of Argentina that I might not use.
I want to do Patagonia, so obviously it will be difficult to know my exact day of departure....but it will probably be to Chile.

Michelle Alison
Username: Michellealison

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Stephen,

There is conflicting evidence on all the forums. Some people will tell you to buy an onward ticket and others will say don't bother. When I arrived in Argentina over two years, my whole family arrived on one-way tickets and had no problems. I suppose it could depend on the immigration officer that deals with you that day. He could be pompous and insist on an onward ticket.

If you are worried, buy a ticket online to Colonia, Uruguay by ferry and then cancel it on your arrival. There is a company called Buquebus Bus (a ferry company) in Buenos Aires. If you are planning on staying more than 90 days, line-up the ticket for around the 85th day here and go to Uruguay, have a great day out and then return and get a new visa in your passport.

Many ex-pats pop to Colonia every 90 days to renew their visas and I have never heard of anybody having trouble re-entering Argentina like this.

Regards

Michelle

Victor W.
Username: Wvictor

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I never heard of that either and I go to Argentina all the time, my son is not Argentinean, and they never ask me for a ticket. You can cross the border and get a new stamp in no time. Anything else than an airplane ticket will not have your name on it, so I do not think it will help as proff of anything.

Stephen Cunniffe

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys, I was just warned that by my travel company. Maybe our customs officer is a bit too strict!!
Thanks for your help, - this is a very good forum

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

onward=return

Got it know.

My mother is a travel agent in Argentina and has never heard of this. What Michelle and Victor said. If you still want to play it safe buy a 1 year airplane ticket so that you can change the return flight date within that year period without penalties. One year tickets are slightly more expensive.

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 388

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Guys,

“onward" does not mean specifically "return", it just means "moving on" to another country.

The reason there is conflicting info on the internet on this topic is because of possible mis-perception by many, including the airlines, of an old Argentine law.

The old law, which I can dig up if needed, states that any non-Argentine residents who plan to travel to Argentina, must be able to prove to immigration in Argentina that they have the financial means to "move on" to another country when their tourist visa expires. The reason this law exists is to prevent a visitor from becoming a state financial liability if the visitor is unable to move on.

This law also states that if the transportation company did not also check to see if the traveler has financial means to move on, then Argentina has the right to impose a fine on the transportation company.

The airlines have interpreted this law in their own ways and have chosen to create their own rules to make sure that their customers (travelers) have an "onward" ticket, in order to avoid these fines by the country of Argentina.

The reality is, that many agents who work at the ticket counters of the airlines, fail to read these rules that are right there in their airline computer system. Some read them, and follow them. Some read them, and don't follow them. Some fail to read the rule at all. The same with the phone numbers of the airlines. When you call them, sometimes the agent will fail to mention their own rule, because the agent missed it, or was too lazy to read all the way down in their list of rules. The actual enforcement of the rule is supposed to take place at the ticket counter at the departing airport of the last country before arriving Argentina, by an airline agent.

The above paragraph sums up why there is so much inconsistency on the internet on this topic. In other words, many travelers have bought one way tickets to Argentina, and the airline agents involved, from the phone agent to the ticket counter agent, never said a word. But if indeed the airlines agents would have followed the rules, then the travelers would have been forced to buy a return or an onward ticket.

One method that many travelers have used to solve this problem is to buy a full fare one way ticket to Uruguay or Chile, and then once they land in Argentina, get a full refund on that "onward" ticket. I am not recommending this kind of deception; I am just mentioning what many travelers do successfully.

Travel agents, who warn their customers on this topic, are just seeing the airline rules in their computer system.

You can also call the airlines directly and ask them about this.

Two great questions could be
1)What is the actual rate of enforcement by the airlines?
2)What is worse case scenario if a traveler chooses to ignore a warning and shows up at the ticket counter with no onward or return ticket, and the agent enforces the rule?

I don’t know the answer to number one, but in the case of number two, the airlines will tell you they will deny you boarding unless you are able to buy an onward or return ticket on the spot right there at the ticket counter.

Okay, I hope this clears up this matter,

Cheers

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Sean.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration