Argentine Customs Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Argentine Customs « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Graham
Username: Richg

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know what the restrictions are for bringing goods from Chile to Argentina.

I would ideally like to fill my car up with as much Chilean wine as possible and take it back into Argentina. Would it come down to a small fee to "expedite" the crossing or a complete disaster?!

Any thoughts or advice appreciated, cheers

BIG AL
Username: Bigman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is plenty of very good wine in Argentina....I was a Mgr,of an Italian wine company and have been to the Mandoza wine Festival,it's in march every year...for many years the Chilean Merlot was sold when it was not Merlot at all,, although good...almost the same type of grape ...But I never say Argentine wine is cheap Just under valued....your the expert ,why? because your the one drinking it...try it with local food....so , my friend call the embassy and find out what you can bring in? also depends on the bourder guard....make sure you can bring your car in the country....if you fly int Chile and r from the U.S.A. you will will pay one hundred dollars usd to go through Customs Canadians pay fifty...but if you come in by boat or bus no charge'so what Iam saying the rules change when your having fun...............Big Al

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 276

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ricard, if you are planning to use route 7 through Mendoza province, you better keep the straightest face as possible at the border:-)(:-))

It's a great question for AFIP, the same folks that have that rule about not letting you bring your own car OUT of Agrentina if you don't have a DNI.

Cheers

Richard Graham
Username: Richg

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys,

Drinking Malbec over a long extended Sunday Asado is one of lifes big joys for me!

Chilean Merlot turned out to be Carmenere. Argentina has the potential to produce vast quantities of very drinkable red wine, Chile is a little more restricted.

I think they are relatively cheap if buying in Argentina. From a UK perspective Chile actually dominates the low value market, from what I see Argentina is trying to go for the higher price points. For me the $12 - 30 USD Reds are some of the best value wines out there.

I might bring a couple of reds, but I mostly want whites. I run wine tastings in Mendoza and it would be nice to show a Chilean white next to a Torrontes maybe.

I will ask AFIP, thanks Sean. I didn't think they were the customs guys. Luckily the car is registered in missus' name.

If not I might try and stash some and try the disinterested look!!

p.s. I'm glad I'm worrying about wine and not short selling shares, all sounds very stressful ;-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration