Plugs and adapters in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Plugs and adapters in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mieka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi :-)

In respect of plug-points/double adapters: I am travelling to Argentina from 1 Dec to 3 Jan with my friend, Mairi. We are unsure which plugs are used in Argentina; some people say there are the SAME plugs as in America, but others say Argentinians have their OWN plug-points. We will be bringing two-pronged applicances (for our camera chargers and cell phone chargers).

The Automobile Association (AA) sells two different types of adapters, and we are uncertain which to purchase! I hope this 'drawing' comes out (!) - is this what the Argentinian plugs look like ie. two prongs which slant in opposite directions at 135 degrees on the left and 45 degrees on the right?

roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Mieka, in argentina you will find two round prongs, same size in parallel, not in an angle. So you will require plugin adaptors for three or for angled prongs. Also, current is 220 volts so you must use adpaters if you are on 110 or you will burn your appliances. If you get it wrong, you will be able to buy the right plugins in Buenos Aires at any hardware store. Almost every couple of blocks there is one.

Sister Cruz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My sons are going to Argentina for 10 days in June. I want to know how expensive food is there so I know how much they will need. Also what should they wear? How cold does it get?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Sister, June starts to get cold but not much. Temperatures may oscilate between 8 celsius and 14 celsius with few rainy days. June is the time of the year when you get a warm day after a cold one and viceversa.

Food is still cheap. Depending on what they eat and where they might spend 7 to 8 bucks for a complete meal with dessert. For $10 they can have a great meal. Servings are also generous in Argentina.

Sister Cruz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much, I have one other question. There is a tea the Argentinians drink, Yerba Mate. I would like them to bring some home for me, of course with the tea kettle set, straw and cup. Where could they find that and how should they ask for what I am looking for?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Mate" is how we call the cup, "yerba mate" is the infusion and the straw is called "bombilla". They will be able to buy the three things anywhere and everywhere but if what you want is something more classic, you can get some nice mates and bombillas at places where they sell leather goods and gaucho style ornaments. In Buenos Aires, they should visit Florida street -a pedestrian commercial venue- where there *many* shops that sell these items as well as other gaucho and argentinian stuff. Tell them to go to Plaza San Martin (San Martin Park) where Florida street starts and they will have a handfull of shops right there.

Sister Cruz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great!!! Can you tell me what the cost will be more or less. And yes you pegged me well I would like a more classic one. My cousin is married to an Argentinian and her mother in law brought a beautiful set for her from Argentina, it was silver with an ivory looking or maybe wood, carved handle on the kettle. Gosh you have been such a help. Thanks!

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have no idea, Sister Cruz. I live in Miami actually, so I am not close to any of these shops. In any grocery store or regular neighborhood store these items are cheap. As gift items I imagine you will be paying a premium. The ones with silver beads and coins will probably cost some additional bucks, so not cheap. If you really, really need to know I can make a phone call to someone down there and find out. Just drop a line.

Jenny O'Connor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just wonder how much (in Peso) would an adapter (for US prongs) cost at a typical hardware store in Argentina? Thanks!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jenny, I don't have the exact price right now but this should not be more than USD $1. Perhaps not even half that for adapting flat to round.

Jemilee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, my friend & I will be in Argentina in March for 2 weeks. We need to visit San Juan and were thinking about flying to Buenos Aires and Mar del Plata. We're 26 years old and want to get the most out of our first trip. What do you suggest?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jemilee, depends on what your expectations are. How are you getting to San Juan? Via Chile or are you landing first in BA? If your first destination is San Juan flying to BA is easy, then you can just take a bus to Mar del Plata to save a few bucks. It shouldn't take more than 5 hours. Mar del Plata at that time of the year is probably ok as long as you don't mind a little chilly weather. Not too cold but definitely not the hot summer days of Jan. and Feb. The good thing is that the few remaining turists are probably the ones that are more laid back so it will be quieter than usual. Two weeks is plenty of time. Perhaps the two of you should explore visiting Uruguay as well while in BA.

Jemi Lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Mieka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration