Getting apartment/bank account on 90 ... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Getting apartment/bank account on 90 day Visas? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Zuccala
Username: Zuke

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, here is my deal. I plan (Im Canadian) on coming to Argentina for a while. Most likley a year and then see. I just plan on leaving the country and coming back every 90 days and renewing. I make between $1.5K -$2.5K USD per month. I also will be able to make this while on stay as long as I have internet access. I have about $10K USD in my saving acount.

I would like to get an apartment and a bank account as I need to be able to transfer money form online into my bank accout. Is this possible? I plan on moving in the B/A area. Any help would be great!

I have been doing so research and I have not been able to find and answers to these specific questions.

Michael Zuccala

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know that legally I am not allowed to work on work VISA and that is fine as I do all my work online. I do not need a "job" in Argentina. Plus, a work VISA I hear is a pain in the ass. I can just be on my travel VISA and just work online. Nobody knows.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, welcome! A working VISA -even if it were needed- is the least of your problems. There have been many restrictions on financial flows from and into Argentina for some time. In my view, you will find the following obstacles:

1. Funding yourself the way you plan.

Best would be to bring all your cash and exchange the money as needed. Bring Checks and discount them on houses of exchange for a small fee. Keep your money abroad and extract from ATMs as needed.

2. Renting for 1 year.

Most likely, you will need some kind of guarantee -a third party- unless you plan on paying cash the entire thing. Even so, landlords may not be comfortable with this deal.

3. For a period of 1 year, you should count on another currency devaluation. If not, your funds might be tight at some point. Inflation is running at 30% a year with no signs of stopping. Also, make sure you understand the local situation. We are going through a rough patch politically and some people envision changes before years' end. If you can't spend time doing research just google "rodrigazo" as we may be near a similar episode.

On the bright side, *anything* is possible in Argentina. You just have to dig a little.

Michael Zuccala

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

Thanks so much for your input!

I would probably just pay 6 months or a year up front. That isunderstandable and totally reasonable. I do have few questions. On a tourist VISA can I get the following?

1. Could I get internet service? High Speed?

2. Could I get phone?

3. TV?

So if I :

1. Pay 6 months to year upfront.

2. Bring $3K USD with me in travellers cheques.

3. Forget the Argentina bank account and just use ATM as need with my Canadian Bank account/Online which is already set up??

Is this a better plan???}

Michael Zuccala

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, I forgot. I have a computer. I know that Argentona is a 220V while Canada is 110V. Is there a converter I can use or do I have to buy a new computer in Argentina???

ivan G
Username: Ivagagio

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Argentina is a great country..Modernity is good and you can get almost the same things you have in Canada. About the rights...it's like the USA of 1920....so....they have to work a lot.If you have a notebook no problem. For a Desktop you need a converter or you'll burn it! Don't take all this travellers cheques...the exchange rates for them is BAD. Better Cash, Credit Card and AM. Credit Card and ATM yoou'll get the BEST exchange rates. If you have a student Visa, well but you can also go to Uruguay every 3 months, drink a cup of coffee and come back with 3 months more. Than you pay 100 pesos at the immigration office (next to Puerto Madero) and you get 3 months more.

WTMendoza.com
Advanced Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 273

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget to bring at least some travelers cheques in case you lose your cash and ATM cards! it will help greatly in the short term. Agreed on computer - bring a laptop, and 2 backup drives - and do weekly backups

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, as far as your laptop, look at the transformer if it reads 100-240 volts input then all you will need is the adaptor ( "C" type) which is easily bought for a few dollars in Canada or Pesos in Argentina. You will not need a converter for the laptop just the adaptor.

The same applies to a cell phone charging transformer with the above input . If you have a unlocked GMS cell phone with the frequency 850/1900 it will work in Argentina with a Sim Card which can be purchased there giving you a local number, after the sim card is purchase, you can just buy a card for minutes. When you go to purchase a Sim card make sure you have your passport with you.

Michael Zuccala

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again!!! You guys are great!!! I have a desktop. But I think I am gonna buy a Laptop. It would be so much easier for the travelling.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Michael. Much better plan. High speeds from Cablevision may range around $50 to $150 pesos per month. I pay $195 for a 2 meg connection with Iplan. Bear in mind it may take a while to get the connection. Prepare for that... but there are many, many cybercafes. And there is great advice on this page!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration