Train Trip Bariloche - Viedma Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Train Trip Bariloche - Viedma « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruno
Username: Bbr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am looking for information about the "Tren Patagonico" - I found some information on their website (http://www.trenpatagonico-sa.com.ar/) and now I would be interested to find someone who did the trip and to hear from their experiences with this trip ?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am confused if you are referring to the trip on "la trochita" or rather a newer service that connects Viedma and Bariloche...

Bruno

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I understood the websites correct - there are two main train offers near Bariloche:

a) Esquel - Nahuelpan (-El Maitén - Ing. Jaccobacci) (steam train) (= la trochita ?)
b) Bariloche - Viedma (diesel train) (= el tren patagonico ?)

I would be interested to hear about experiences for both trains. As we will have to return to BsAs we might only do the shorter train trip.

Thank you.

Sources
http://www.latrochita.org.ar
http://www.trenpatagonico-sa.com.ar

Bob Frassinetti
Username: Frassinetti

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

An image is worth more than a thousand words… The Old Patagonia Express La Trochita Some information on the Old Steam Engine Train of the Patagonia.

This is the story of an amazing journey thru the South of the South. In and around the Patagonia of Argentina and Chile, the Big Island of Chiloe and the famous Route 40 we’ve discovered and documented these wonderful journeys.

This time we’ve head south to travel in one of the World’s Oldest Working trains: La Trochita. This Steam Engine Train that dates back from 1922, and runs thru the Argentine Patagonian Lands.

It has been a lifetime journey, and I thought I’d document it since it’s quite an experience. Taking upon the challenge of the new technologies our world has to offer at this moment I created this short video with the aid of my PC Sony Ericson iP990, quite an accomplishment considering it's seize. It’s been filmed “al natural”, in real time, hand cam and the beauty of nature to delight us…

The music is by Julian Rodriguez a talented young Musician who recently graduated from CAEMSA Center of High Musical Studies which is linked to the famous Berklee College of Music in academic terms. Julian specially created the music to suit this short documentary.

Press this LINK below to See Video Clip ......

http://eyespot.com/share?cmd=permalink&r=eVEXaw009EdHyBCjkHiEJW05IW81lP#

An image is worth more than a thousand words… The Old Patagonia Express La Trochita by Bob Frassinetti

The Patagonia Express

Bob Frassinetti

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And here is some more information on both the Trochita and the Historic Train that runs from Bariloche.... "Traveling south from Buenos Aires, there's a must for all of those who want to travel through our Patagonia. Worldly known because of its cross path, short cut super economic: La trochita (short of Trocha which is Spanish for cross path). This 75 cm. cross path rail was began to construct in the early years of the 1920s, though its construction was delayed due to climate inconveniences. By 1936 it began to run through its amazing 402 km.

This train had ups and downs regarding governmental policies, and it was closed many times. But thanks to the hard work of the authorities of the province of Chubut, the train is still alive and running, not through the original 402 km. But through 165km. Of beauty, through Esquel. Lep¿ and El Mait¿n.

This train is not only a circulation service to witness amazing sights, but living history. The wagons in which we ride are the original 1922 ones, that are heated by antique salamanders regulated by the passengers to their preference. The whole train is an antique treasure that we have the pleasure to enjoy, even the locomotives, one of the two available is a Baldwin Locomotive Works, American, class 75 B with 431 hp of power; the German Henschel, class 75 H with 411 hp of power. There's also a moanouver locomotive class 75 M, made by Henschel y Sohn.

An other train treasure of the south is the "historic steam train" that rides in the sorrounding area of the Nahuel Huap¿ lake in the internationally renamed sky resort, Bariloche. Very much a rolling museum, this train was manufactured in Scotland in 1912 by the North British Locomotives company in Glasgow plaque number 121, the wagons were originally made in England, in an outstanding art deco style, made out of Cedar and Mahogany. All seats are covered in red and green velvet in the 667 wagon that was made in 1914.

There are wagons that had been specially made for the important managers of some of this British trains and their family. The wagon booked for the family number 677 was specially made for them in England in 1913 and it has three bed rooms, kithcen, bathroom and a special room for the help that travelled along.

Tourist class wagons number 128 was made in Glousester; the pine chasis was locally manufactured in 1914 by Ferrocarriles Entre R¿os, the wagon number 671 was a sleepling wagon owned by Ferrocarril del Oeste and it was specially made for them in Birmingham in 1914.

The Dining cars number 5560 and 546 were made by the English brand Glousester and the chasis was fully made in Ceder and Mahogany.

This specific information shows the class and confort offerd in this trains. AS to the ride, the sights are just incredibly beautiful, there are many stops so one can enjoy the amazing views and scenes. A perfect ride that combines the perfection and style of art and antique and the beauty of nature"........

There is a trian also leaving from Viedma to Bariloche, I must have the infromation on one of my files, I will look it up. Cheers, Bob Frassinetti ......

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice video!! Thanks.

Bruno

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great - thank you for the information !! Looking forward to receiving some information about the trip between Bariloche and Viedma.

I plan the trip for January 2009 - it shall be the continuation of the Ruta 40. Last year in September I did the first part from Jujuy to Mendoza. Next year I plan the part Mendoza to Bariloche and leave the rest so that I have a reason to come back again !!!

Unos recuerdos
1) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19677&l=d00a 1&id=628633203

2) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19817&l=8ba4 9&id=628633203

My last trip were the "Catarats de Iguazu" - una maravilla tambien: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19819&l=e39b 0&id=628633203

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Those pictures are beautiful, Bruno. Do you know how old is that fossil that looks like a fish? And where those yellow rings from viboras cascabel? Scary.

Better to not get lost in there...

Bruno

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto - I assume you mean picture 25 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=445010&id=62 8633203&l=8ba49)... - to be honest - I would have screemed if it were (just near) a snake ... !! I was told by an Argentinean friend, that he knows people using this plant (or part of the plant) to do flower decorations. I saw them along the railway lines between Villa Union - San Juan or San Juan and Mendoza.

Perhaps another member knows more about this plant ?

Bob Frassinetti

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For those who love adventure and off the beaten track places ……. just around a year ago and a half ago I travelled along the Highway Route 40 that runs both South and North of Argentina along the Andes Mountains.

Something on the road & the mountains…

It’s a difficult road to drive, goes from a good motor way all the way up to over 4000 meters in the mountains where the air is hard to breath, runs along river beds as dirt roads and in this season of summer some of the rivers are bursting with water and its near impossible to cross. All the same I was able to do it an 2 wheel drive car, without to much trouble, more to luck I think than other questions.

High up in The Mountain Rally.

Its for the idea of rally car project I'm working on, so I checked out places hotels routes and sight seeing tourist like places as well as those off the beaten track, for future use, I hope to be able to come up with a good plan for taking adventures tourist out on a 4WD trucks, and maybe why not a Carabella Kaiser Frazer.... or some other vintage car like a Kaiser built jeep Willy here in Argentina.

I wonder if any of you have driven vintage cars…..

We had a fantastic time, sleeping in really some very nice hotels, comfortable ones, as well as one owned by the US actor Robert Duval. He married a woman from Argentina.

The scenery goes without saying was supreme, from low flat lands to high mountains, dry weather, and strong sun shine; cool in the shade as well at night. Fantastic the scenery of the country side........ to incredible old mud houses used still by the natives of this continent......as to future trips, I will be working out the idea some more and let you know... maybe you will want to come some other time.

In around ten days I should be back again on the Ruta 40 along and near Mendoza, checking for some more detailed information here both for my idea of the 4 WD rally as well as for business, looking for old machines, tractors either steam or the early old one cylinder engines… and old cars as well!

I’ll update you on the state of the road and tips and advise…..

Bob Frassinetti, looking for arts and antiques in all the south of South America...The oloriginal "O" kilometer of Route 40 for both South and North, as you see it today, CitiBank is always near you ...

Sue J F Evans
Username: Sjfevans

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know how long does the train trip take from Mendoza to Bariloche? Whats the scenery like? And are the trains comfortable?
We are planning a 2 week trip to Argentina next Feb to visit a friend in San Carlos de bariloche by the Lake Nahuel Huapi, and just wondered if its worthwhile ( &the right time of year for wine tasting) to visit Mendoza and do the two by train? Or is road better? Any advice?

Bob Frassinetti

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Sue, as to trains from Mendoza to Bariloche, no luck, but you do have the Route 40 - http://www.frassinetti.biz/index.blog?topic_id=295 03 and side tracks from it to some fantastic scenery and all up in the Andes mountains as to the time of the year its full summer, so driving along the Andes will be easy, even if its on dirt roads in some sections..... there is tons of information on the www on Route 40 and places to see, as well as on the link I placed, so hope I have been of some help and orientation ............

Meantime Invest in all that the south of South America has to offer, from Art to Museum Quality Paintings, from Antiques to Real Estate, to Exotic and Native Trees or Lumber. Read all about it here > www.frassinetti.biz ....... Phone me from abroad 054 911 6965 1955 or when in Argentina, (011) 15 6965 1955 .........

Chat some more soon, Bob Frassinetti.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration