Exchanging dollars Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Exchanging dollars « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Linda Wilson
Username: Linda830

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

New user. My daughter and I will be traveling to BA in March. Of all the things I have read I am having the most trouble deciding on whether to have dollars exchanged before I leave or wait until I get there. Whether I should carry more pesos with me than dollars, etc. In restaurants,shopping, etc should we use pesos or dollars, credit cards? Would appreciate any information regarding this. Also, am traveling to Santiago, Chile for a few days, do I need to exchange and get some Chilean pesos? Thanks again for any assistance.

ROSEMARY TAIT
Username: Romeytait

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We have been to Buenos Aires twice and leave soon for our third trip. We never bother to change money, using US$ to get from the airport by cab to our rented apartment, although we could probably make a better deal if we spoke Spanish and had pesos.
We go to the nearest bank and take out the equivalent of $300 in pesos with our bank card. We have, sometimes, had to try more than one bank but there are lots around.
We use credit cards in the supermarket and larger shops, pesos in green grocers, bakeries, and for taxis, etc.
I don't know what it will be like if you're travelling around to smaller places, but unless you know of some exchange place in your home city that gives you a great rate, I'd suggest you simply use credit cards and ATMs.
Rosemary

Stevie-g
Username: Stevieg

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would recomend bringing US dollars. In the airport (past the baggage claim..the booth near the baggage claim has horrible rates) There is a banco Nacional their rates are ok. I would exchange just enough for the day, including cab fare. Once in the city you can go to any casa de cambio (they are safe and everywhere). Then you can exchange dollars for pesos (example today the casa de cambio is 1 USd for 3.14 pesos most banks are 1 USD for 3.11). I would not recomend using dollars you will get ripped off and shortchanged at every turn. You can use credit cards (visa) at alot of places. ATM cards (Link, PLus) are easy to use but you will end up paying around 2-3 bucks everytime you use them.

Just my advice....

Steve

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 134

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Stevei-G hit the nail on the head with everything he wrote. Furthermore, the more dollars that vendors see, the more they are encouraged to raise their prices. And please, do not exclaim in front of vendors and waiters how cheap certain things are , it just adds to the prices increases - good luck and have fun!

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 135

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget to bring some reserve travelers checks in case you have a mishap

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Linda,

My wife & I have only just returned home (yesterday) after 6-weeks in BsAs so my comments might be useful to you.

We carried US$ but kept them in reserve for use only in emergencies. In fact, the only time we used them was to pay for a car to & from the airport into the city (standard charge is US$45 each way) & on a trip to Uruguay where the ATM machines refused to cooperate.

At all other times we used the BANELCO ATM machines (they are everywhere in Argentina) for cash & paid for most things in pesos. The only downside with the ATMs is that you are limited to 320 pesos per day (approx US$100) & our New Zealand bank charged us NZ$7.50 per withdrawal. You can easily get around the 320 limit by using more than one credit card. In any case, 320 pesos may not sound like a lot but in fact goes a long way in BsAs for day-to-day expenses. We used Visa & Mastercard credit cards for major purchases & some restaurant meals. We did find that a few establishments (not many) won't accept credit cards at all so it's always a good idea to keep a reserve of 300 or 400 pesos just in case.

I used the Casa de Cambio a couple of times... to buy Pesos in Uruguay & then convert them to Arg pesos in BsAs... & don't recommend it unless you have time to spare & endless patience. The day I went to the Cambio on Av. Florida they were queuing out the door & down the street & you have to go to about three different counters to complete the transaction. I would normally have just walked away but i didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of Uruguayan pesos that my NZ bank won't touch.

I note that there are a few comments about the possibility of being ripped off when using US$ or otherwise spending up in the tourist haunts. I can of course, only comment on our personal experiences but have to say that we at all times found the Argentinians to be scrupuously honest & that included the taxi drivers. We never once had to ask the taxi driver to turn on the meter.

One final piece of advice... I always carry an emergency credit card separate from my wallet, in my case an American Express card, just in case. That's not to suggest that you need to take particular care in Argentina... I do that wherever I go; even here at home in NZ in which incidentally, I feel a lot less secure than I did walking the streets of Bs As.

HTH & have a great trip... we did!

Geoff Pearson

Alejandro Fretes
Username: Afretes

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I returned from a 3 weeks holiday on Jan 20 and I found that all of the cash machines would only give you $300 (pesos), with the exception of the ones at the Banco Santander Rio, I was able to withdraw $1,000 on them.
A little tip, call your bank and pay the extra charge for the month you are away, this way you can have unlimited withdrawals. It maybe as little as $10 for the month.

Alan
Username: Sunshine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello fellow travellers. I shall be visiting Argentina for the first time in 2 weeks. Can you advise me if one can get USD$ as currency directly from ATMs/cash dispensing machines in Argentina cities,Buenos Aires and especially at the (EZE & Jorge Newbury)airports. Or would I need to bring USD$ currency with me? If it was possible, I would prefer to withdraw money from the ATMs or cash machines in Argentina, rather than arriving with unnecessary cash on me.Thanks.

B Wooster
Username: Bwooster47

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alan: as the post before you said (by Alejandro) - you can use ATM cards, and most will give AR$320 per withdrawal. But you can withdraw multiple times, to the limit your home bank allows - usually US$500.

Some US$ on hand is always a good backup - you can exchange say US$100 in the bank (Banco Nacion at the airport is good).
There is a teller right inside the customs area - just before you exit (if you exit, you have to stand in line in the main entrance!)
Get some coins - as many as they will give up, 1p coins are scarce!

Alan
Username: Sunshine

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

B Wooster, thanks for your reply.
However, what I meant was - will the ATMs in Argentina dispense US/American Dollars and bills as an alternative option to Argentinian pesos?
For example,here in the UK some UK ATMs & cash machines give you the option of getting your cash dispensed in Euros as well as British Sterling pounds.
As the USD$ (American dollar) currency is so widely used in Argentina (for eg the guesthouse where I will be staying at, will only take American dollars in cash as payment),I was looking for confirmation that this is indeed possible in Argentina, so that I dont need to carry American dollars with me or make comissioned currency conversions in banks or bureaux de change.
Can anyone advise? Thanks

Alejandro Fretes

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

All of the machines I've seen would only have pesos. My advice to you is to never use dollars, it attracts too much attention and it quickly categorizes you as a “”tourist”. Keep it simple and use pesos at all times.

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 156

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Be aware that if your debit card has the VISA logo on it, you will have restrictions on amounts you can take out, whereas if it is has the MasterCard logo on it, those limites are MUCH higher....at least thats been the current situation now for close to year. Have FUN!

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used citi bank on Santa Fe off by Col. Diaz in Palermo and those AMT gave you the options pesos or dollars. But I agree try not to use dollars. At Citi I was able to take out up 2000 pesos using a citicard. That is the most I took out at a time, you might be able to take out more. This was done in October and November.

MIchael Calero

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

jajajajaj I meant ATM in my last posted.

Alejandro Fretes

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I can tell that you laughing in Spanish jajaja instead of hahaha : )

MIchael Calero

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes in deed Alejandro... jajajaj

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration