Travel questions Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Travel questions « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Linda Murray
Username: Linda57

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am planning to visit Argentina (Corrientes) in June 08. I will be staying with a family that hosted my daughter for 6 months in 06. The mother has been to US and Canada so I have already met her - she has invited me to visit. I would like to go to Iguazu during the trip. Would it be appropriate to invite her to go with me (and at my expense)? I do not know yet how long I will be in the country.

Thanks!}

RentingBA
Username: Rentingba

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it is a plausible trip for her, yes. I would feel out the situation first. Argentinians love traveling.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Agree. Very nice gesture.

Linda Murray

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it safe - recommended - crazy - for a middle aged woman to travel alone from BA by bus to Salta and on to Corrientes? My Spanish is not embarrassing, but is limited. Are there Argentine travel companies that can help design a trip like this? The packages I have seen are round trip types of trips - mine is a little different.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, anything can happen but I think the odds are on your favor that you will enjoy a nice trip with even some nice surprises. Inland argentines have always been very hospitable and friendly. And the places you will be visiting are in tune with this. But as stated, the only sure thing in this lifetime is death. I do not think you need a travel agent for this, traveling by bus throughout Argentina is very easy and for most destinations you will find many carriers as well as a good schedule. A limited amount of spanish will get you plenty. When in BA, spend time at the Retiro bus terminal and find all companies that travel to these destinations and ask a lot of questions. If you still need a helping hand you can always stop at my mother's for some coffee...

Linda Murray

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am looking forward to an adventure - sometimes too much planning takes away some of the fun. I have started looking more carefully at guide books and your advice seems the same as the book. Thanks for the information!

Kelly Macdonald
Username: Kellymac

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

}}Greetings to all...

I have been reading and reading and reading... your posts are a huge help. Thank you, I do so appreciate all of the information available.

My family and I are putting together a trip for two weeks in either June or July to celebrate our ten year anniversary and to look into purchasing property(small farm?). We are very interested in the Mendoza region, however, I am usure of the weather there. Does Mendoza get snow? Does it vary from town to town within the region, or is the temp pretty consistent throughout?
Also, we will travel with our 8 yr old daughter, would traveling that region be "kid friendly"?
Lastly, for now, I've not been able to find much information regarding schools in that area. I'm sure I just haven't found the right website, if anyone would point me in the right direction I would be grateful.
Thanks for any help and time!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Kelly, you can look at current Mendoza weather in that link or look at the historic figures too. On a recent trip I asked an old friend who relocated to the city of Mendoza 20 years ago about education. He stressed it was very good and comparable to the education he obtained in Buenos Aires. When asked about living in Chacras de Coria he said kids/children should go to school in the city, a 15/20 minutes trip.

Mendoza is in general dry and one aspect of the weather is the difference in temperatures between day and night, something that favors the production of great wines. Yes, Mendoza does get snow and is at -I believe- 650 mts above sea level. There is very little rain (200 mm a year) and there are over 300 days of sun a year. Mendoza is strikingly green given its weather. This is because local government built -almost since inception- a water system that covers not only the city but most of the province. Here, you can see some Mendoza photos including wineries and Chacras de Coria.

Mendoza is also very family oriented, has very little crime and has been one the most stable provinces in Argentina throughout history. Besides wines, it produces almost 18% of the country's oil output and tourism is the 3rd largest industry. If you are interested in farms you should also check the region of Valle de Uco and towns like Tunuyan and Tupungato, further south.

Kelly Macdonald

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, thank you for the information. I will do some checking on the other towns you mentioned, I appreciate your input. I really enjoyed your pictures!
Does Travelsur handle international flights, or mainly travel/tours with in Argentina?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you! There are no advantages buying the international leg through us so we try to focus on just the *argentine* part. We pick up our clients at the airport and take it from there. But we can handle it if necessary, like connections into Chile or partial trips to Brazil... The vast majority already have their tickets when they contact us.

Randy Feldhaus
Username: Familiafeldhaus

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, my family and I just moved to Chacras de Corea and it is very nice. There are several schools in town. My 12 year old daughter just started at San Nicolas and so far we have been very happy. It does take us about 15-20 minutes to get to Mendoza for major shopping etc...It is a very nice place to be, but more expensive than we thought it would be. There are several good choices of schools in Mendoza, San Jorge is one I have heard several times.

Kelly Macdonald

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Randy, thank you for the input~very much appreciated. Do you mean the housing is more expensive, or the general "stuff" groceries utilities etc? Do you know if the school has a website? I tried to Google, however just came up with the town San Nicolas in BA Prov. information...How is your daughter adjusting to the change(assuming from your profile you came from US). Did you check many other areas prior to settling down in Chacras de Corea?Thanks!

WTMendoza.com
Intermediate Member
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 157

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kelly, and welcome Randy and family,

When we moved here the first priority was the the kid's school - we focused on uppper Mendoza (city, burbs, outlying areas) and not San Rafael.

There are only about 10 schools here that are private and bi-lingual, and "full day" (not ending at lunchtime) which were the parameters for our search. We got these of the government education website mendoza.edu.ar

After some initial whittling, we had the list down to about 6, and intereviewd each school (and they interviewed us and our kids), and the school we ended up in Chacras de Coria so that's where we ended in also. But that's always been our strategy when we had moved with the kids. Schools first, us second.

Chacras is a bit pricey these days and there are nearby areas where it may be cheaper to buy or rent - and even still send a kid to a school in Chacras.

Weather is microclimated here in the province - it is generaly dry and sunny although some eastern parts of Mendoza province like Riviadavia and San Martin, seem to get hammered with rain every day in the summer.

It is typical in Mendoza to get snow once or twice a year, maybe 5 or more cm but then melts in a day or two - it warms up enough in the day even in winter to be pleasant typically. Last winter we had like 4 snowfalls - and alot of rain this February - very untypical but thats seems to be the trend today in the world. Good luck and have fun!

Kelly Macdonald

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

WTMendoza, thank you for your very helpful information. I agree 100% regarding the schools, that is the most important part of a move. Why not San Rafael, just curious... Do you have any opinion, good or bad, regarding Cordoba?
I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge of the area.

Randy Feldhaus
Username: Familiafeldhaus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, I donīt know if San Nicolas has a website. We went there in person and talked to the staff. If you come to Chacras it is on Italia Street. Our daughter has been adjusting very well. The girls have been very nice and since it is a bilingual school some of the students have enough English to help our daughter translate what to do in the assignments. Other parents have also been very welcoming. Too early to tell as far as the academics. So far so good.

Day to day prices on items at the grocery store and buying furntiture items etc... may be a little less expensive than the States but not a whole bunch. Good meat and wine is a great deal. We rented a place with 4 bedrooms on an acre for about 1150 US per month. Not bad for what you get, it is not fancy inside but very livable. Be prepared to pay 6 months upfront if you do not have a "guarantia" a local property owner who will be liable for you.

We lived in Buenos Aires for 6 weeks and enjoyed it but were happy to leave and find a smaller town with more space. We did not go on to check out Salta, Jujuy or Bariloche. The kids really wanted to start school and be there for the first day. Good luck and if you have more questions just let me know. I am learning a little everyday on how things are done here. I still have a long ways to go.

sunshine davis
Username: Sunny_d

Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello. I am planning on traveling to Argentina with my boyfriend and our two dogs this upcoming May (2009). We already have a room booked at a dog-friendly hotel the first night and i've heard that most travel on buses is dog friendly. Any advice for traveling with dogs?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sunshine, welcome!

Unfortunately, I have little experience with this. If long distance buses is going to be your thing perhaps you can check directly with the bus liners when you get to Buenos Aires. They all have offices at the Retiro Terminal station. Here is their website:

http://www.tebasa.com.ar/paginas/buscador.html

You can email them too, for general questions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration