What to wear in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » What to wear in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BenDover
Username: Bendover

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wife, son and I will be in Rosario Argentina this October and would like to find out what to wear?? We live in Los Angeles and dress like young 30 year olds. Will we stick out? What should we be wearing on order to fit in with the locals?

Thanks,

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Need to know more about what LA 30's attire is about but my guess is that's a perfect fit.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 424

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you do not speak Spanish you will stick out the first time you speak in English. It has been my experience that that is not a bad thing in Argentina. The people are very friendly and normally go out of their way to be helpful.

Even though LA has four of the top 12 worst road interchanges based on lost hours sitting in traffic in the US the people there tend to dress like most other Americans with a few religious exceptions.

LA 30 is ok. I have eaten lunch at several of the nicest restaurants in Buenos Aires wearing shorts and never got a second glance from anyone. The folks in BsAs are sophisticated enough to figure out who the tourist are and don't seem to resent them at all.

You are on vacation, dress the part and you will be fine.

Roberto and I have been talking about a get together of posters here in October but we both have issues that may preclude that.
If we do you are welcome to join us for whatever we plan.

Good luck. You are going to love Argentina

One word of advice, even though it is not an island, sometimes it seems Argentines are living on island time. But what the heck, everytime I go to a fast food drive through here in Florida I think they are working on island time as well.

BenDover
Username: Bendover

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey guys thanks, I just had heard that tourists sometimes are singled out and hassled with by locals. my aunt who lives in argentina was dragged about 10 meters from a guy that tried to steal her purse from a moving vehicle about 5 years ago. since i'm tking our 1 year old, i want to avoid anything like that.

thanks

elina overstadt
Username: Agustina

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Bend Over:

Having lived here as an expat in BA forever and traveled extensively throughout South America, (and never have had a security problem)I would argue you are safer as a foreigner than an Argentine. If you should be so unlucky (they dont target tourists) once the criminal realizes you have the power of an embassy behind you when dealing with the police, they will be much less likely to pursue you as a victim. As to the experience relayed to you, that is an outlyer. Travel to urban areas is always an adventure, you need to decide what risk level you are willing to take to experience the rich life of a Latin city.

As to clothes, be yourself. There are no cultural taboos, certainly revealing cleavage and bellies is not a problem here.

WelcomeToMendoza.com
Username: Welcometomendoza

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Elina, most petty street criminals don't understand embassiews, etc, in my opinion from what I have seen, but maybe you have a point. I do agree that tourists seem to get it less than the locals, as far as street crime, but perhaps that's directly relational with the amount of time the person is "in town" and the odds. What does seem to stick out , as mentioned by someone else here, are brighter clothes.

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 425

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello elina and welcome if I already haven't welcomed you.
One question, isn't "forever"...uh..like a relly long time.
So elina, you think that when someone is desperate for his family who need food, they will stop and think, hmmm, if i steal from this person will I cause a war or something. I am going out on a limb and saying, probably not.
You close well with the admonition of warning of using common sense. Of course one has to have it to use it.
For getting information from reliable sources is a good thing so anyone who does it certainly is showing common sense.
Touche
And I like cleavage and bellies.

Good show.
Hasta luego
and again, welcome

Tom
Advanced Member

Post Number: 426

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

welcome Welcome....
I actually don't understand embassiews either.

I hate that when I hit the wrong key as in w and .

Don't we all.

And is spite of what the little face above portrays, I am just smiling, really.

You know, here lately I seem to have not been using proper grammer and punctuation.

Oh well.

Life is good.

elina overstadt
Username: Agustina

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have lived here on and off for 20 years (more on). And with that experience I know that most of the petty crimes like street robbery and such are not perpetrated by villa dwellers looking for food for their families (they tends to recycle your paper garbage or beg at your door). These thieves are mostly part of a semi organized syndicate run by "entrepreneurs" or even police sanctioned and that is why I say they don't want tourists. What is becoming a new problem is crime relative to "Paco" or crack and obviously they are not profiling their victims.

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dress if you was in Spain..

or Pague.
Michael
PS. LA so differnt from the rest of the world .. jajaj

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration