El Calafate - Torres del Paine Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » El Calafate - Torres del Paine « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ed Kearns
Username: Roscoe

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know this extends beyond the border, but I'm wondering if it is realistic to try to travel from El Calafate to Torres del Paine round trip in a day. I will be in El Calafate in August. I know the distance is about 270 km, and some (or most) of the roads are unpaved. Adding in a border crossing, about how long would it really take to drive? Thanks.

elina overstadt
Username: Agustina

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your gut is right, not realistic and not all rent a car companies will let you take the car into Chile. I would recommend a trip to el Chaiten, which is only 2 1/2 hours from Calafate but you should spend a night or two. If you are looking for a day excursion from Calafate I would recommend the trip to Estancia Cristina where you take a boat trip up to a remote estancia for an asado and a 4x4 trip to a lookout over the Upsala Glacier which is the most awesome thing I have ever seen. Highly recommend it.

Ed Kearns
Username: Roscoe

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Elina,
Thanks for the reality check. I looked into the Estancia Cristina excursion, and it looks great. The only problem is that I'll be there in August, and the estancia's website says they don't open for the season until September. Do you know of anyone else who may be available for a similar experience in August? If not, what options might there be as far as private guides? Thanks for your help. And, just because I'm not toally ready to give up on Torres del Paine, are there tour companies that might offer day trips to TdP from Calafate?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some -most- estancias close shop for *stay* during the low season but you can still visit them during the day. Email Estancia Cristina and ask them about a day tour on the exact date you will be there just to be certain.

I really can't see how anyone may offer a day trip to Torres del Paine from El Calafate. The distance is actually 340km when driving through "El Cerrito" (ruta provincial 11, nacional 40 y Provincial 7). There is a good chunk of bad, nasty pebble -according to recent reports- on the argentine side. The unpaved parts in Chile seem to be much better. Still, if you average 50km/hour (doubt it), it will take you 7 +/- hours to get there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration