Bringing Cash Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Bringing Cash « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike
Username: Canuck

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am planning to rent a furnished apt in Argentina for a couple of months during my next trip. The only trouble is that there is a requirement to pay in US Dollars cash and I don't really want to be travelling around with alot of cash on me. Does anyone know of an easy way of transfering cash from your home country to Argentina without having to pay some obscene fee for doing so?

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 372

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Get American Express travelers checks and cash them at the Amex office in Buneos Aires. there is a fee but it is reasonable.

Mike

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Holy cow is it that simple? To be honest I had given up on using Travellers Cheques because they seem so difficult to use. The last time I was in Colombia I went to cash some USD travellers cheques but the bank insisted that they be cashed in pesos first and then change the pesos back to dollars. All together the service fees were going to add up to 7 or 8 percent to get USD from USD travellers cheques. So are you telling me that it will only be a nominal fee of 1 - 2 percent? That, I can live with. Thanks.

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 373

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know the exact fee, you can find out by contacting Amex.
They have there own bank in BA. The fee is higher to get dollars than to get pesos but you can do it.

I have carried large sums of dollars into Argentina and never had any problems. Just take the same precautions you would in any big city.

YT Lee
Username: Ye_mui

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can transfer the cash by using Western Union from the States to Argentina before your departure. Then you're able to draw them from Western Union's office in Argentina. Shouldn't involved any fee but better check again.

The other way is to get yourself a bank account in Citibank in the States before you go. Citibank got quite a number of branches in Argentina so it's convenient though.
}

Darth
Username: Darth

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Those answers are correct. I think the best way to give your maoney is using traveller checks. Amex has a few branches in Buenos Aires, mostly open from Monday to Friday 10 AM to 3PM. Saturday and Sunday you cannot change your dollars into pesos.

Good Luck.
Darth

http://livepalermo.blogspot.com/

Stevie-g
Username: Stevieg

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would NOT use traveller checks. In 2001 I came down with 3,000 bucks worth of AM Ex travellers checks and it was a big head ach, and when I did cash them I got a horrible rate.

You can bring in under 10.000 USD. I have done it and as long as you do not go waving the money around you will be fine. I have flown in and out of EZE many times and never had an issue. Had my luggage searched once, they do not search your' physical person. Just carry it on you, be honest if directly asked by customs, and lay low. You will be fine.

Just my two cents...

Steve

Mike

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the advice. For pesos it isn't a problem as I can use bank cards or credit cards in ATMs and draw directly. Except for the outrageous bank fees that Canadian banks charge ($5 a pop - but thats another issue) it isn't a problem to get pesos.

I just got an email from Amex bank in BsAs and they will charge 1.21 % to cash US travellers cheques into US dollars so that isn't too bad at all. So the next time I come down I'll probably bring Amex travellers cheques if I am going to need US cash. Thanks again for your responses.

Simon Fawkes
Username: Expatba

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are going to be using an ATM it's worth mentioning that at certain branches of some banks (e.g. HSBC) the ATMs dispense both dollars and pesos. These ATMs are easy to identify as they are plastered with stickers advertising the fact.

I hope this helps

Simon Fawkes
Author, The Complete Guide To Real Estate Investment in Argentina, ISBN 1430303980, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1430303980

Darth
Username: Darth

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As Simon said, best way to get some cash is the ATM option. The most important thing you have to look is if your bank card is available to get money from bank�s networks such as Visa Electron and Cirrus.
You can fin that under the signature space in your card. besies, check you bank how much money you have to pay in every transactions.
In Europe, few monthes ago, I paid 2.50 euro every time I used the ATMs. It�s a better rate than traveler checks...
In Argentina you can get until $ 1.000 (US$ 330) each day.

I hope this helps...

Darth

http://livepalermo.blogspot.com/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration