90 day stay visa extension Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » 90 day stay visa extension « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

laura breckham
Username: Turning_porteno

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

help! we are coming up to our 90th day here in argentina but we don't have tickets to leave until 5 days after the 90th has passed. i have heard of the ferry to uruguay, but this seems a pricey way to extend the visa, considering our whole family would have to go. is there an easier way you can extend the stay or can you just pay the overstay fee when you exit argentina? how serious are they with the 90 day visa limit?
any advice would be great!
thanks

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 360

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Laura
I strongly recommend you go to Immigration and talk to them. This is way to serious a situation to trust guesses on this or any other site.
If you stay beyond the 90 day visa limit you are in the country illegally. Waiting to pay when you leave to me is not an option. The only Argentine fee collection service at the airport is the exit fee which may or may not be imposed by immigration. It could be an airport or orther government tax authority.
I believe the cost to extend the stay is 100 pesos, about $34 dollars.
Have you checked the cost of the ferry to Uruguay? Bouqebus(sp?) travels over and back the same day.

Ken Kerr
Username: Doctork

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura,
Buquebus has a $99 promocion right now. That is for the fast ferry to Colonia. That is only US$30 per person. Just go spend a lovely day in Colonia.

http://www.buquebus.com/BQBWeb/servlet/com.buquebu s.web.compra.promo.ListadoPromociones?parBase=ARG

Ken

Annabel McNaught-Davis
Username: Annabel_0410

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Laura,

The 90 day thing is a pain but not a huge problem. I have been for the past 2 years for 6 months at a time. The first time I had a business class ticket back to england so no one even asked me anything! Second time - two weeks ago - had to pay an immigration charge of 50 dollars - cheaper than leaving the country. The forms aren't a problem but leave an extra hour to get things sorted. The office is just by the main ezeiza international arrivals bit. Alternatively with more time I believe you can apply to the argentine embassy to extend your visa for free - but we all know how long paperwork takes in argentina! Whatever you decide to do don't worry too much about it...
Annabel

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 363

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laura, sounds like Ken has the right idea.

Hello Annabel and welcome.
Argentine Immigration handles visa extensions, they are the ones who stamp the passport when you first get there and they are the ones who will take the bank receipt that will get you the 90 day extension.

After giving it some thought I remember how it works. Go to Immigration with your passport and get the paperwork. Then you will have to go to a bank to pay the fee, immigration will tell you the name of the bank. Then return with the receipt to immigration. Immigration will stamp your visa and you can stay another 90 day's. I can't remember the name of the bank but this is the proceedure. I have done it two times in the last couple of years.

If you go to Immigration in Buenos Aires Capital Federal, the bank is a few blocks away. It is not a long walk.
If you go to Immigration in Bahia Blanca, the bank is farther away, I suggest you take a taxi.

Many government offices in Argentina do not take payments directly.

By the way, for some reason I have never been asked to show a round trip ticket when going through immigration in Argentina.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration