Universidad Catolica Argentina Santa ... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Universidad Catolica Argentina Santa Maria « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yassine
Username: Chiko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi. I am planning on studying at from August until December 2007 - and I need some information. I was hoping that I can get some feedback on the school? And how about the neighbourhood: Puerto Madero? Also any tips on finding a nice place that's well situated yet affordable? What options should I consider? Which barrio would you suggest I stay? How much should I expect to spend on rent? Any comments would be appreciated... I'm so glad I found this site! I am really looking forward to being in Buenos Aires for a semester, and maybe even more!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 961
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yassine, welcome! UCA has a good reputation.

Puerto Madero is not the typical neighborhood where you can take walks in the park. It is basically the port, but parts of it have been recycled in such a way that they look really nice throughout the day and because it has upscale restaurants, it draws turists and wealthier locals by night. However, I would not choose it as my place of residence. I would prefer either Palermo or even Belgrano for this.

For convenience and affordability you should look into Palermo/Barrio Norte, a very large section of the city. If you are by yourself you should be able to locate anything from $350 to $550 and live comfortably. PM Laura... she may know more.

(Message edited by admin on January 22, 2007)

Yassine

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto,

I must admit I have been hooked on this site since January!

Well okay it has been confirmed for a month now - I will be landing in Buenos Aired on July 23rd for a period of six months! I must admit I am quite excited, even though I am not too sure of what's waiting for me over there!

I was wondering, would you suggest I bring a lot of warm clothes and a winter coat? I am from Canada so our winter coats are quite imposing!

As for a place to say - I started doing some research - but didn't come up wth much online - I came up with mostly expensive places... do you think that it would be to risky to show up there and look for a place on the spot? Of course I would stay in a hostel for let's say a week while I am apartment hunting. I just wouldn't wanna be stuck if everything is rented out at that time of year...

What do you suggest? Also, do you know of any websites that might advertise some cheap student accomodations?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You may still need some winter clothes here, however, BA winter pales in comparison to the ones you are used to. A heavier coat may be useful if you plan to travel to southern patagonia down the road. But you can buy one here too. I wouldn't know websites offering cheap student accomodations as the market for this is very small. Since you will be in touch with other students and younger people as soon as you get here I will give myself at least 30 days to find a place. I really doubt that 1 week will be enough for finding a place you may like. BA is big and there are traffic jams, you also have to wait for agents to show you stuff and many may not show up. All in all, give yourself time plus other students may help you solve this issue so no need to close a 6 months deal on your first week.

The reason you may need to be more realistic it is because you are looking for "cheap" and "short term" which doesn't happen often in Buenos Aires. Try PM'ng "Larry" who has rented a large house with 6 rooms and I think it might be closer to UCA. Perhaps he has a cheap room for you.

Yassine

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info and the advice.
By cheap, I meant that I was hoping to spend more or less 300$ US per month... do you think that it is realistic amount?
And I was also wondering if Bus and Metro passes exist in B.A.?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am not sure about buses as they are private companies. The subway, possibly. There has been some inflation in Argentina. I am looking for rents of $700+/- (dollars) a month for a 3 bedroom. Perhaps studios or small 1 bedrooms may go for that, depending on the neighborhood. Larry's prices were very affordable and it looks like he has been shopping around on the subject for a while.

Yassine

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto - but how can I get in touch with Laura or Larry?

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 407

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am thinking about becoming a Doctor, I am already a Juris doctor but I am wondering what it would take to go to med school in Argentina.
I have a friend who is a surgeon, I could do residency with him.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yassine, check Laura's blog here and here is Larry's profile where you can pm him.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration