One Way tickets allowed? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » One Way tickets allowed? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steven Reid
Username: King_reid

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I am planning to come to Argentina to do a TEFL course in April. As I dont know exactly how long I will be staying or even where, I was only going to get a 1-way ticket. All the entry advice I've found say i will need an onward ticket. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

Ken Kerr
Username: Doctork

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Steven
I arrived last week with the same situation. It never came up at immigration. My passpost was stamped for a 90 day tourist visa.
Ken

Steven Reid
Username: King_reid

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ken, I might just give it a go then.

Arial
Username: Arial

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried to answer this early today following instructions for answering directly by email and it obviously didn't make it here so guess I'll do it the traditional way and respond here.

I posted a warning about this elsewhere on this forum months ago. Unless something changed in Argentina law in the last year this is a scam being pulled off by some of the airlines. Avianca did this to me at the ticket desk last year as I prepared to depart for Argentina out of Ft. Lauderdale. They had sold me a low-price one way, but at the ticket counter they wanted $1,000 almost for a return ticket or they would not allow me to fly. Claimed the Argentina government would not allow me off the plane in Bs As without a return ticket.

Upon arrival in Argentina I tried to show my return ticket along with my passport and she said, "I have no interest in that." First clue. Avanca conveniently has absolutely no one to even discuss it with. Most of their listed phone numbers have no one answering. If you run into trouble wih an Avianca flight, do not expect any communication at all with the company.

My ticket was refundable but when I finally did reach someone they told me I would have to fly to Buenas Aires or take a 12 hour bus ride there to get the refund and then after all that they said they would only give me a refund if I buy another ticket.

Later, with help from Argentina migrations and Lan airlines (who assured me it is a scam) my credit card company rejected the charge. I try to fly Lan these days unless they're just out of sight on the price. May be other good airlines out there but it is for sure there are some crooks!

Sam W. Davis
Username: Samwdavis

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also tried the email response thing, and it didn't make it here, so....

Steven,

Before worrying about "only needing a one way ticket", you might want to check the prices on 1Way vs. Round-trip. Many times the round-trip ticket is cheaper, and there is always the possibility of rescheduling and using the the return leg when you figure out what you're going to do. It could save you money both ways.

Sam

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 308

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good advice Sam.
I have used Continental and Aerolineas to fly to Argentina.
and instances where a one way ticket was more expensive than a round trip. I do not know why and the one time I wanted to purchase one neither the reservation person didn't know the reason either.
Aerolineas normally charges $100 to change your return flight.
They do require you to contact them and make the change before your scheduled return flight. Continental also has a fee but i do not know what it is.

I have also heard of people buying the cheaper round trip tickets and just not using the return flight.

Hasta luego

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> I tried to answer this early today following instructions for answering directly by email and it obviously didn't make it here...

Checking on this now. I made some changes but not sure if this feature is working again. Please report in case it still doesn't.

---
Since there are no visa requirements, you can purchase one ways just fine.

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know but this is what I just picked up on the web. ...

REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS TO ENTER ARGENTINA
TOURIST TRAVEL

U.S. Passport must be valid 3 months beyond intended stay
Tickets and Documents for return or onward travel
No Visa Required for Stay up to 3 Months
Extension Possible for Stay of Further 3 Months (max)
Vaccinations - International Certificate of Vaccination required for Yellow Fever if Arriving from Infected Area within 5 days
BUSINESS TRAVEL
U.S. Passport must be Valid 3 months Beyond Intended Stay
Tickets and Documents for Return or Onward Travel
No Visa Required for Stay up to 3 Months
Vaccinations - International Certificate of Vaccination required for Yellow Fever if Arriving from Infected Area within 5 days
DIPLOMATIC/OFFICIAL TRAVEL
U.S. Passport must be valid 3 months beyond intended stay
Tickets and Documents for return or onward travel
Visa Required
EMPLOYMENT OR STUDY TRAVEL
Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate

To View Visa Service Requirements

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

kimberly adams
Username: Kim

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh lordy now i am confused....to those of you who are in argentina and went with a one way ticket was it all cool and good?

i found a super great fare for one way (through expedia) and really want to snatch it up but i don't want to stress the whole flight that i'll have problems upon arrival (e.g. having to buy a ticket at an exorbitant price or worse still all packed with no place to go cause they won't let me on the flight).

i lived in china for many a years and it was never a problem even though it was their stipulated policy but then when i went to republic of georgia for work it was a problem and they wouldn't let me on the flight.

the roundtrip fares right now are much much higher than the one way fare (more than double) so that's not the best option if it can be avoided.

thanks, K

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration