Argentina in June? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Argentina in June? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ATC
Username: Atcbotkin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I have recently been discussing taking a 2 week trip to Argentina in June of 07. We are really excited about visiting this wonderful country, but after researching several locations I have begun to wonder if we should not be heading there in June...I have heard that Iguzau Falls is not as impressive (due to a decrease in water levels) the weather is not good and that Buenos Aires will be freezing! We are planning to visit B.A., Iguazu, Cordova and some other smaller northwestern cities. At this point we are not able to bump our trip up to an earlier date. So, for those of you who live in Argentina or have traveled there during this time, would a trip in June be worth it or will we be leaving cold and disappointed?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 255

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello ATC
Welcome to the group.
Buenos Aires is about the same distance from the Equator as north Georgia but the weather at that time of year reminds me more of North Florida. It gets cold but not freezing but thebn there are days that the weather is warm. To me, anytime of the year is a good time in Buenos Aries. It takes a back seat to no city in the world.
Beautiful architecture, friendly people and world class options on things to see and do. It has everything a great city should have.
The locals claim there is a lot of humidity. They have never been to Houston Texas which is even worse than Florda in July but both are more so than Buenos Aires.
If you can figure out when there are no holidays, which are quite often, it is a good time, independence day is celebrated on two different days. Holidays bring people to the city.
You are in for a real treat in the Paris of South Amerca.
I have not been to Iguazu so someone else will have to help you on that one.

ATC

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Tom!

Anybody else? Anyone else specifically familiar with the changes at Iguazu Falls through the different seasons?

Beverly Adams
Username: Beverly

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi ATC,

Can't tell you anything about Iguazu Falls, but June should be pleasant in BA. We were there in August last year and only needed a jacket. It depends on where you are from and how you are acclimatized. If you're from the south, you may think it's chilly, but if you're from the north, you'll think it's great.
June is the off season, so hotels may be cheaper, and you won't have the summer holiday crowds.
I think it's a great time to visit!
Beverly

P.S. The only holiday that I know of in June is Flag Day, and it's the same day as Flag Day in the US.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 812
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The changes in the falls are indeed related to climatic changes but with a twist. The real culprit -today- are two brazilian dams named "Gobernador Josť Richa", otherwise known as Salto Caxias and another one called "Capanema". These 2 dams located over the Iguazu river regulate the production of energy for southern Brazil. Anytime precipitation levels decrease, Brazil closes the dams up which in turn affects the amount of water that reaches the falls. It is not uncommon to see great fluctuations during the winter months, as it happened last June.

There is not much that can be done. The brazilian government has never provided any kind of statistical information that would allow their argentine counterparts to "forecast" the level of waters in the falls. To avoid any surprises, it will be best to consider trips during the rainy season November - March and research carefully what goes on in southern Brazil weather wise during the dry season April to October

For the record, June 2006 was nasty but only once every 40 years the falls dry completely. Last time happened in 1978 when they had no water for about a month...

ATC

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roberto-

I guess we will continue planning our trip and just keep our fingers crossed that the water level is back up next June :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration