Help with our upcoming travel plans i... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Help with our upcoming travel plans in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gail Taylor
Username: Gtaylor

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hola,
We are arriving in Buenos Aires on 2 November 2006, returning home 4 December 2006. However we are staying with friends in BA from the 10-27th so that time is filled with Tango, eating, drinking vino etc. However we want to do some traveling before and after our stay with them. The places we are considering are Iguazu Falls, Mendoza, Salta and Bariloche. Price is a consideration. I haven't booked a trip to the Falls are it seems prohibitively expensive to do outside of Argentina. I have heard that we should get a better price going through a TA in BA, True?

My other questions are: we have heard that the falls are drier than usual because of the lack of rain. Should we wait until the end of the month to visit them or wait until our next visit? Do others have any opinions on what places should go to the top of our list. If we go by bus can we get off at stops on the way or do we have to travel all the way to the destination (like Salta).

Any suggestions or comments about our plans would be welcome. We are very excited about this trip[!

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 806
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gail and welcome!

Last report from Oct 4th is that the falls have plenty of water. They recovered their usual "1.800 cubic meters per second" and that would put them at their normal level.

If you only buy airline tickets prices should be the same locally and abroad, for foreigners. However, if you are looking to purchase a vacation package buying through a local travel agent WILL be more economical. Local travel agents may have special arrangements with tour operators that agents abroad simply cannot get unless they are big. But even in this last case, you have a greater amount of hands exchanging items and in each step there is a commision to be paid. So, if you know a travel agent in Buenos Aires you can get better pricing (or over the internet, like us).

Right now, air tickets have become more expensive for foreigners and there are no work arounds.

I am pretty sure most bus legs are non-stop as the buses travel overnight. But you may be able to purchase partial tickets in some cases. This, unfortunately, is something that you will have to explore on a case by case basis. Since you may have time to spare, I suggest that you go in person to the bus terminal and ask at the front desk about intermediary stops between Bue-Salta, Bue-Mendoza and Bue-Iguazu.

Busing Mendoza or Iguazu will make traveling to these destinations a lot cheaper and these are overnight routes so you can arrive in the morning fully rested. Bariloche may be more expensive than your other destinations. Research Cordoba. Its beautiful, great outdoors, great weather, fun people and very close to Buenos Aires. Cordoba has a lot of attractions and is culturally strong (whatever this means).

Gail Taylor
Username: Gtaylor

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

Thanks for the above information. I think we have decided to save money and see the country by taking the bus to Iguazu Falls and then splurging at the Sheraton so we can see the falls by sunset and sunrise. My questions have to do with both the bus and what is the best way to book this excursion.

I was going to book the Sheraton online tonight until I realized that "the time to cancel without penalty has passed". Boy if it was pouring rain and we had spent all that money... Anyway we are going to wait and take our chances on availability once we get to Buenos Aires and can get a closer look at the weather forecast.

The bus: I can't figure out the different types of service. There seem to be more than the types the sites explain. My questions are about Cama, Cama Ejectivo and then Tuto Leto. What we want are 2 seats together, on the top of the bus, that recline, with food etc. Are these the Cama, Cama Ejectivo or Tuto Leto? I assume the rates are round trip?

My other question is whether we should just book the bus and hotel ourselves or can a travel agent do it less expensive. My feeling is that with this hotel and our wanting to take the bus, that they probably can't help.

At the end of the month I think we will bus to Cordoba and Mendoza and rent a car to drive ourselves around. Will we need International Driver Licenses?

The rest of the country will wait until our next trip; this won't be our last, I'm sure.

Thanks for helping us.

Beverly Adams
Username: Beverly

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gail,
The best bus service is Tuto Leto...the seats are leather, recline into a bed, the food is good, etc. Cama Ejectivo is one step down from Tuto Leto. the seats aren't leather, the food is still good, etc. You will get a blanket and small pillow on the long distance buses also. Cama can be two things...semi-cama is regular seats, like on an airplane, coche cama is seats more like a recliner in size and comfort. Food service varies on those type buses.

Don't assume the rates are round trip, they probably are not. Don't assume anything about your trip, you'll be better off
that way!

Have a great trip,
Beverly

Tom
Advanced Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 257

Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Gail
welcome to the group. Beverly is right about the buses being one way etc.
Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration