Help... laptop is stranded!!! Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Help... laptop is stranded!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

EastCoastJedi
Username: Eastcoastjedi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all,

I am in a bind right now and was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info. I have read through the customs threads, but am still unsure of how to proceed.

The situation is this...

I run a ski& snowboard camp during the Argentine winter in Las Leņas. One the way back from the 3 months I spend in Argentina I pick a different destination(s) to explore on my way back to the us.

This year was Costa Rica/Panama

I left my Laptop with a good friend in Buenos Aires as the climates and routes I have been taking are not quite conducive to a laptops longevity...thinkng that it would be relatively inexpensive (around $50) to ship back to an address in the states, insured of course.

Now I only seem to find prices that are closer to $200-$250.
The time frame I need it back within is a couple of weeks.
Is that really what I am going to pay??
Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance...

Riyad Anabtawi
Intermediate Member
Username: Riyada

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jedi
It obviously depends on what carrier you are using to send it.
It is one exhorbitant price if you send via DHL and another much reasonable one if you send via Argentinian mail.
So which one is it?
Cheers
Riyad

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 805
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Like Riyad said, in the past I fedex'd docs from Miami to Buenos Aires 2 days for usd $50, so a laptop (and insured) would be plenty more. If you want cheap go with argentine post office and pray.

EastCoastJedi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well....it is a laptop that contains a tremendous ammount of information, so I am hesitant to "pray", but thanks for laying out that option. $200-$250 seems a bit excessive, but I guess it is what it is.

I am in the process of having my friend back all important info upon discs so some of my concerns in having the machine lost will be aleviated, but the laptop itself and the programs it contains are certainly of value as well.

Someone had mentioned to me along my travels that there are carriers shipping from Argentina that take 1-2 weeks to deliver goods and are fully insured and reputable. As I do not need the piece of equipment to make it in 2 days, I recalled this and thought there might be other options outside of Argentine mail. Aparently not judging by these two responses.

Is it possible to insure (and be able to collect insurance money if need be) via Argentine mail?

Riyad Anabtawi
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

With Argentina mail it is possible to insure, but I am not sure about collecting.. Very doubtfull I'd say, or it might take for ever.
I know that if you try to ship something out like a laptop, customs there (who will inspect the contents) will ask you for the receipt and see if you paid IVA, the sales tax.
And then things might get sticky

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

Why don't you just remove the hard disk from the laptop & carry it with you? That way you won't have to worry about your data if the laptop goes astray. Laptop HDDs are by design, swappable. Just clip out the plastic cover, remove two small screws & slide the drive out. I have owned several laptops & it never takes more than about 30-seconds to remove the HDD. It usually takes longer to figure out where I left the damned screwdriver!

A good idea to remove the battery too(second most expensive iten after the HDD)& carry it with you. In fact, if you carry a laptop into the USA now, the homeland security goons will make you do that anyway.

Hope this helps.

Geoff Pearson

Riyad Anabtawi
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bingo!

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 250

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Geoff, your post reminds me of Rosanne Rosanna Danna, "Nevermind" :-)
She does not have her laptop with her. She left it with a friend in BA. Now she is trying to figure out the best way to get it sent to her.
Maybe the DHS does that in some airports. In Miami and Houston, the last two entry points for me they did not do anything about my laptop. I came back through Houston in June 06 on Continental and came back through Miami on Aerolineas in August 06. The only thing they did when I left the states was make me take it out of the carry on bag.
Of course I am a blue eyed middle aged WASP that normally doesn't fit any government agency's profiles.

EastCoastJedi

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the help Geoff, great advice.
Unfortunately I am in Costa Rica currently and the laptop is sitting in BA.

However, this seems like a good way to go about it, remove the hard drive and battery and have those fedexed insured back to the US. Smaller package as they charge by DIM weight.

The laptop itself is quite old and broken in places. IN need of replacing as it is.
Thank you very much for the informative answer and advice to my question!

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be going to B'A's in two weeks and with me I will have two laptops will I have a problem with Agentine customs? The last time I was there I didn't have any problems since I only had one with me. I don't remember if they made me remove it from the carrying case as TSA does in the States going through security.

Both of them are my personal items.

ivan G
Username: Ivagagio

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If they are really yours you can take even 10 laptops :o) You just declare them and when you go out they'll check that you'll have all the laptops with you. Normally in some countries you should pay the tax and they refund you when you go out the country. Anyway I don't think you'll have any problems.
Cheers

MIchael Calero

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was just speaking to a Argentine friend and he is leaving Argentina for the first time coming to the USA. His question to me was as a Argentine citizen when he returns how much electronic equipment can he bring in Argentine to the point where he doesn't have to pay any custom taxes and then what are the taxes at the break point?

I didn't have an answer and hope someone here can give us an idea with a answer.
Thanks in advance.

ivan G
Username: Ivagagio

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...so....before it was you and now it's your friend :o)
No problem....you can be honest...we don't work for the custom here.. eh eh.
Anyway. In Theory "your friend" cannot bring anything from USA to Argentina or he'll have to pay the custom taxes. Most of the time nobody control but...if it happen (especielly if it's a model not produced in Argentina) you...ops sorry....he'll have to pay! I told you. It's dificult that they control but...it's possible.

MIchael Calero

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok Thanks Ivan. So I see it's like spotted checks, depending on who is one duty or other situations. I will rely the message .

I see that you smiled with first me and now a friend. No, I am not in any business at it might seem. jajaja Thanks again.

Arial
Intermediate Member
Username: Arial

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I have heard different stories about customs but I have made many trips with a laptop, MP3 player, phone, high-end digital camera with no problem. A relative often takes more than one phone (gifts for friends) and so far no problems.

But after all, we are talking Argentina here. No guarantees! :-)

MIchael Calero

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Arial

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Michael, I am back to correct something before I get someone in trouble. I happened to talk to the family member mentioned this morning and he said that customs is paranoid about phones. If you declare more than one there will almost surely be a problem. Little did I know. Ah the convenience of innocence.

He did give me some hints though. Don't leave anything in the package. If it's new, take it out and even do something to make it look used. Don't leave price tags on anything. If you have more than one of something electronic, they probably will question you about it. If it looks like for your personal use, probably no problemo.

But as I said, so far I've had no problem. But I never tried to take two computers in, for example.

MIchael Calero

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Arial for that advise. Yes, one of my computer is new but I already removed the plastic shipping cover so it looks new but used. Thanks again !!!

Jay Vegas
Username: Heathershomen

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just returned from Brazil and brought two notebooks and was questioned by customs in regards to the reason. I told them I had one for work and the other for personal usage and there was no issue. I was also never asked what happened to the second notebook when I returned, as I left it with family.
I worked in BA for a few months and always traveled with 2 phones, Ipod, Blackberry, and at least one Notebook. I never had any issues beyond basic questions.

Good luck

Arial
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jay, did you list the cell phones on the declarations? They now ask how many cell phones you have and what models are they. How did you handle that?

Jay Vegas
Username: Heathershomen

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In Argentina I never had to list the cell phones as they were always unpackaged and in my hand luggage. In Brazil I had to declare a new unit I had in the package once. As odd as that is it was mine and was a new cell phone with a S. America SIM card in it.
I was not forced to pay a tax for it but I did have to declare it as well as the remainder of my electronics all because I had a unit in the box.

I never brought any other electronics in the box again, mostly because it was more of a hassle with the time it took to go to Brazilian secondary and have all my baggage looked at. Thoroughly!

Argentina in the past had been pretty decent. Last year I took a Cisco PIX firewall in my packed luggage and between my inability to explain what it was (exactly) as I speak Portuguese and English and the fact that I disclosed it was for work. Argentina customs took the device and gave me a claim slip which I took to my work in BA. I am pretty sure they got the device returned after a few weeks and paying a fee.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration