Payment in Argentina Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Payment in Argentina « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

frances luke
Username: Fluke

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it best to use USD cash, pesos or credit cards to pay for stuff in Argentina? Which do you get the best rate?

Is it advisable to bring USD travelers checks or are they not widely used?

Thanks.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Traveler checks are not widely used. Credit cards may pose some problems in that some stores require a minimum purchase. However, you can use your debit cards to get cash from many ATM machines everywhere. Be aware of the costs. In my last trip, BoFA charged me usd $12 per usd $700 extracted. You don't need to bring pesos with you, just exchange your dollars in any of the exchange houses in downtown (or any of the Banks). Never do this with the street guys. So briefly, cash from ATMs (automatically changed to pesos) or exchange dollars at Banks.

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 228

Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Credit and debit cards will get you the exact exchange rate that is applicable at the time the transfer is processed.
Debit card use will entail a foreign exchange rate fee and so will changing dollars at the street vendors.
I have exchanged dollars for pesos at banks several times and have not been charged any fees.
Exchanging travelers checks is very difficult. American Express has an office in Buenos Aires where you can change theirs but there is a fee chraged. Been there, done that also.

So, I recommend changing dollars to pesos at banks or using credit cards where they are accepted.
I have actually gotten better rates by using dollars at merchants back when the peso was in the 2.9 area and the vendor used 3.0 as the rate. This doesn't happen often. Ask the vender what his rate of exchange is, they will vary.

Some vendors will not take dollar bills for some reason but I have never been refused the purchase when I had a $20 dollar bill.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration