Argentina Travel Advice Wanted Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Argentina Travel Advice Wanted « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Pearson
Username: Gpearson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello There,

I'm new to this list...

My wife & I are considering a 1-month vacation in Latin America January 2007. Our last two vacations were in Panama but we want to avoid travelling through USA this time & from New Zealand, we only have two direct flight options... BA with Aerolinas Argentinas or Santiago with LAN Chile.

Argentina appeals to us but we know very little & any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

First... we are not much interested in an exhaustive tour of the country. We much prefer to just relax at one or,perhaps two destinations, take in the atmosphere & the culture. We are experienced travellers & not much into the standard tourist thing. Much prefer to blend in with the local scene. We both appreciate Latin culture. We would like advice on destinations particularly in BA locality.

We like a vibrant environment, friendly relaxing atmosphere, good choice of restaurants, seafood, decent entertainment although we're not Barflies, & a bit of shopping. We're not fluent in Spanish although we got by in Panama OK so not worried about that... in any case, we both want to improve our Spanish.

So...

Where to go? BA will be our point of entry but we don't want to get stuck in a city environment for a whole month.

How much can we expect to pay for a reasonable, mid-range hotel (not the Ritz)?

What is average cost of living - meals etc?

What's the shopping like?

I have been to Argentina before many years ago when I was in the Merchant Marine. I have visited BA & also Campana, Zarate & Rosario. Are they worth another look? I guess they have changed a bit because that was over 30-years ago! Model-T's were still a common sight back then.

Any advice sincerely appreciated.

Geoff Pearson

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Geoff, welcome!

Pricing will depend greatly on the destinations. Services and perhaps even meals may differ in prices, but in general, food is cheap and the least of your concerns. I would suggest that you pinpoint 2 or 3 locations where you may think you can relax and have a good time for 2 or 3 weeks and we can help more. For January, a relaxing place with cultural activities nearby explore Carlos Paz in Cordoba. Aside from Rosario, I don't think you should use your time to revisit the areas mentioned. There are much more interesting places. You could conceivably combine Carlos Paz in Cordoba with San Rafael in Mendoza.

Geoff Pearson

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

Thank you for that. We have decided that we will use BA as home base & take a couple of extended weekend side trips. We browsed Mar Del Plata which looks interesting & will have a look at your suggestions.

Will there be any problem getting accommodation at those locations on short notice in January seeing as it is your holiday season?

We will probably go for an apartment in BA for a month as home base.

All I'm waiting for now is confirmation from my travel agent that we have airline seats. Hope I haven't left it too late!

Thanks again for your advice.

I'm sure to have more questions but I'll wait until our travel is confirmed!

Best,

Geoff Pearson

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mar del Plata during summer months will be packed. Better to secure lodging in advance. Same with Carlos Paz or Mendoza.

Geoff Pearson

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto,

Thank you... you have been very helpful.

Our flights are confirmed. The best our travel agent could do was 31st December in, 4th February out, so unfortunately we'll miss New Year's Eve... bummer! The upside is that we have a full 5-weeks.

Now we need to decide on the right location for us & find an apartment. Recoleta looks attractive. How does it compare to downtown, Palermo, Belgrano, Puerto Madero etc.

Ideally we would like a vibrant locality, good selection of restaurants, entertainment etc. ie. somewhere relaxing but within striking distance of shopping & tourist attractions.

I have done a quick browse of apartments. Al Sol Baires looks quite good & appear to have a good selection. Can anyone recommend a reputable agency or provide recommendations?

Geoff Pearson

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 191

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have visited Recoleta and Puerto Madero quite often. Good restaurants and nite life. Either one would be a good selection for me.
Palermo and Belgrano are very good from what I have been told.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 734
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Downtown, Palermo and Recoleta are all very close. Your final pick may rely more on Q of restaurants, safety, etc... Recoleta meets all the requirements. Belgrano is a bit far but really nice nonetheless. Belgrano has its own commercial venues and is too filled with nightlife, restaurants and such.

The whole area of Recoleta and Barrio Norte would suit your needs well.

If anyone has had not so pleasant experiences with real estate operators or rental property owners, please let us know here discreetly. This is also important information, but to avoid badmouthing it will be best to pinpoint precisely the reasons for disappointing experiences.

Marjorie T.
Username: Marjorie

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, can anyone please tell me if there's an airport fee to be paid upon arrival (and departure)? If so, where can I get info so I'll know how much it will cost me?

Also, how much will an average cab fare cost from the airport to say, a hotel in Microcentro (in B.A.)?

Any kind of response would be appreciated

Tom Woodson
Intermediate Member
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 226

Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Marjorie
there is no entrance fee but there is an aiport tax when you depart the country at Ezieza. I can't remember exactly what it is, less than $30 US. Nominal.
A taxi from the aiport to downtown Bs As is aroud 50 pesos. Buy from one of the taxi stands inside the airport. They are the safest.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, or use Manuel Tienda Leon which is local shuttle service. They also have booths right after you cross customs' gates.

Marjorie T.
Username: Marjorie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, is it safe to bring paracetamol (headache tablets) into Argentina?

The Argentinian website is no help to me as it's in Spanish..

To all of you who have given my friend (Marianna) and I some much needed advice, muchisimas gracias! Perhaps we'll see you guys around (we're leaving in 2 weeks!)!!!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can buy paracetamol in any pharmacy in Buenos Aires.

Max Kirsch
Username: Max

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto

Erna never did contact me, I assume she is booked up. I am now feeling a bit pressured to get things done. Do you or anyone on the list have a recommendation for a travel service for the South of Argentina? Any help would be appreciated.

Max

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 992
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Max, I am seeing Erna tomorrow in Buenos Aires and will slap her wrist.

Anyway, an email was sent on Feb 6th. with a potential itinerary. Evidently, got lost somewhere. Can you email us a phone number where you can be reached and best time to call? I think it will be best if Erna discusses the options with you on the phone. A lot quicker and you can also ask questions. And it doesn't matter who you end up buying from! Seriously.

If you use this form both Erna and myself will get the phone number and might be able to call you today.
Contact form

If I understand correctly you are very close to where I am here in South Florida.

Max Kirsch
Username: Max

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto

Oops, I never did receive it. I will fill out the contact form and try to call as well. I live around the corner from Peru (on Chile) in San Telmo so the office on Florida is not a problem... Max

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration