Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Travel Tips » Tips for travel « Previous Next »
  Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry Yagoda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Flights are crowded. You must book well in advanced. As Argentina is the 8th largest country in the World, flying is the way to go. No railroads. Water is drinkable. Wine is cheap and good. This country loves meat, so be prepared. Non-stop overnight flight from JFK (New York City) to Buenos Aires: 10.5 hours gets you to Buenos Aires.

(Message edited by admin on January 31, 2005)

Erna
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for your participation in our forums, Larry. It was nice to meet you while you were down here in Buenos Aires

Paula
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I have been planning a nature trip in South America this summer. After some
search on the internet, I found this company called All Mountain Vacations. They are quite responsive and have answered all my questions.
Now I need to send them a deposit to secure two spaces in June for me and
my friend. I am very reluctant to do this since I only met this company
through the internet.

Has anyone here used this company before? If so, would you please
let me know if this company is legit? Will they take my deposit and
simply disappear?

Thank you in advance.

Paula

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Paula!

Unfortunately, most of the time it's a matter of faith. Many of our own passengers may have gone through the same questioning you have now. To clear their doubts we have taken a few steps offering a phone number and a physical address (posted on our site), we have become members of BBB and Online BBB, we have also acquired a SSL secure certificate for all payments online and have set up a testimonials page where some passengers have included their real email addresses.

Check to see if this company can provide you with any of the above.

In addition, once we agree upon an estimate with our potential passengers, that estimate usually includes flight information. Flight bookings can be done at no cost by travel agents so this information should or can be made available to you BEFORE you ever have to pay. Ask them for the detailed flight schedule that is supposed to be under your name. Then, call the airline company and verify that indeed they have done a reservation for you. Since the trip is in June, they could have easily booked all spaces already. This is by far the easiest verification you can make to be sure they are legit. We fax our clients a copy of the bookings issued by the airline ticketing machine as proof, then we require payment.

Finally, will they issue you a company receipt upon payment? Will the receipt have their company information as the letterhead? Are they associated to IATA? Have they posted their IATA information on their website? Will they issue you any vouchers after you have paid them? And, how large is the deposit they are asking for? On average, we require a downpayment of 30% once the whole trip booking has taken place.

The above are only a few guidelines you can follow to make sure this is not a scam, but as I said earlier, most of the time it's about just taking the leap. I personally have no information about this company, sorry.

Michael Herrick
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My 17 year old son wants to go to Buenos Aries this summer for two weeks to study spanish and the culture. What is the political climate and is it safe? Any tips on flights from Atlanta, Cincinnati or Miami. Thanks

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Michael and welcome!

The political climate is stable. Although there was some turmoil after the December 2001 economic climax, the nation has recovered most of its ground. The 2001 economic debacle did leave a vast number of negative consequences and as a result a good part of the population is now poorer. However, generally speaking, for the last two years, Argentina has been growing and increasing its national reserves notably, thus providing for much needed stability.

Argentina has been, and may be for an extended period of time, benefiting from sea-change market trends that are favoring commodities' consumption. Its now very favorable rate of exchange has reactivated local industries. Your son will be safe in Buenos Aires but with a few caveats. Buenos Aires is no different than any other big city. New York, Paris and Hong Kong are all as safe as you want to make of them. That is, there are places your son should never go. If he stays within the safe neighborhoods and hangs out at safe places (there are a miriad of them in Buenos Aires) there is no reason why he might become endangered. It might be a good idea to do a bit of research before the trip.

A few more things, your summer is going to be our winter. So another thing to take into account. As for flights, we are based in Argentina and have found that there are no advantages on purchasing an international ticket from us. It will cost you the same as buying it from your local travel agent. In Miami, there is a company that sells tickets to students at a discount. I can't remember their name now. Perhaps, the easiest thing to do will be to try to get a copy of 'The New Times' gazette, which usually has some travel advertisments to South America with very cheap tickets. Most of the time these flights connect through Costa Rica, Brazil or Santiago and they are very long. Hope this helps.

Svet B-I
Username: Svet

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

do you know of any reliable tourist agency that could organize a trip for us (3 people) BUE-ElCalafate-BUE and BUE-Iguazu-BUE at the end of may/beginning of June? Thank you.

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Svet and welcome.

We organize such trips as well as many others around Argentina. Please contact Erna Rosenfeld at erna@travelsur.net who has been in this business for almost 30 years. She will be able to help you. We have sent hundreds of passengers to both Iguazu and El Calafate without any problems or complaints. She will be happy to assist you!

Christina
Username: Christmaszorro

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello. I am planning to go to Argentina (Buenos Aires and Patagonia) August 1 to the 15. I was wondering what type of weather I should back for (gloves, thick and water proof coat, etc.). I was also wondering about the crime rate, in relation to robbery, kidnapping, etc. of tourists. Thank you for your time.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Christina, you should be on the alert in Buenos Aires. Nothing serious, just common sense measures that are standard when traveling abroad, like not talking to people in the streets, etc. I doubt you will have any kind of problems in Patagonia. As for clothing, yes, thick and water proof since you will be in contact with both cold weather and snow.

Flo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How dressy do we need to be for Buenos Aires? How do people dress in the Lakes District? We are going in late Oct-early Nov. I'm especially concerned about whether I can wear pants (slacks?) + comfortable loafers or sandals in the city rather than a skirt + dress shoes if I want to. I also am wondering if I'll stick out like a sore thumb if I bring American sports shoes-type walking shoes for the Lakes District and other areas that we may be doing a lot of walking in.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Flo, weather will be very nice at that time of the year so you will indeed be doing a lot of walking. I assume that for the 'Lakes district' you actually mean 'Palermo and its parks', what we call 'Los bosques de Palermo'. Or is this another place in Buenos Aires that I am not aware of? Anyway, yes, you can wear your american shoeware without any problems. And I would not worry about sticking out. Wearing slacks and sandals will just make you look as one more of the thousands of foreigners populating Buenos Aires streets for the last 3 years. You may attract more vendors, that's all. I would not worry. At nights, when going out for dinner and such, is when 'portenios' tend to dress more. But always in a casual manner.

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert, I will be there in October, are men's nice cotton pants with golf shirts ok at that time to wear during the evening. Or how about dress pants. Since I live in Florida we wear a lot of golf shirt which has a collar. I figure during the daytime jeans it should be ok for all the walking within the city. Should a man take a suit?

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, sorry for the delayed response. Yes, any attire described will be fine for October. And don't worry about how you may look (different, etc). Argentines are now very used to seeing visitors who may have different clothing habits. As for weather, yes, the golf shirts will be ok but just in case have a sweater handy. Weather conditions have been unstable in the last couple of years. In my last visit in February (summer) I had to wear a coat in a number of occasions. You really do not need a suit. Just an informal jacket will work the same for more upscale restaurants/hangouts.

PS Buenos Aires weather in October is similar to San Fransiscos's. Not too cold, not too warm just a little chilly sometimes.

Joe Lutter
Username: Patejoe

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Roberto -

New user. We are planning to visit in February or March (to get out of the Colorado winter for a couple of weeks).

Arrive BA for a few days then on to Bariloche (Nahuel Haupi National Park, Llao Llao Peninsula) for a few days then we would like to visit the penguin rookery at Punta Tombo (then return to BA).

How do we get from Bariloche to Punta Tombo and then on up to BA? What are the distances?

What else do we need to know about Punta Tomba and getting to the penguin rookery?

Thanks for your guidance,

Joe

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joe, will drop some information tomorrow... and welcome!

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joe, the distance between Bariloche and Punta Tombo in Chubut is 1050km (approx. 650 miles). If you are not flying non-stop to Trelew you can always take a bus. In Trelew you should be able to purchase a tour to Punta Tombo (65 miles) but I would recommend that you have this organized by a travel agent so there are no surprises. The 'penguinera' IS Punta Tombo. Because this is a "protected" area there is little to no development. Just the basics (restrooms, quick shops, etc). What you will see in PT are not only penguins but other bird species that live along with them or emigrate to the area. By February/March you will see the newborns already grown and the place will be crowded (by penguins). If you go around December/January you may see seagulls and other species trying to feed off the nests. Not nice, but another manifestation of divine nature.

Punta Tombo is typically a one day tour. You can do it on your own but reaching the place is difficult. I would recommend flying into Trelew and getting some guided tour. Since you will be in the area I would try to stay a few more days and explore also Puerto Madryn and its attractions. You should think on 3 to 4 nights for a full visit to the Peninsula (Valdes).

Joe Lutter
Username: Patejoe

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Roberto -

Fortunately, I'm beginning our planning at this early date.

I'll research further and take a good look at the Peninsula Valdes area and Puerto Madryn.

This is a wonderful service you are providing.

Thank you for your guidance and suggestions.

Joe

beatriz cuevas herrera
Username: Beabea

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hola roberto, soy bea, como 9 personas estamos planeando ir de buenos aires a bailoche en julio en TREN. pero no se si sea la mejor opcion? tu q opinas ?
encontramos un tren q sale el jueves en la noche de BA y regresa el domingo en la tarde.
son comodos los trenes? hay una manera mas facil de llegar (descartando el avion, es muy caro) y se pueden ver los paisajes????

espero q me puedas contestar
saludos!!!

MIchael Calero
Username: Michael795

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a friend in Buenos Aires and they are asking me if purchasing flight tickets to the USA is less expense purchasing them here (USA) or there (Bs As). Does anyone have an idea and can lead me in the right directions since I don't see a difference when I check in the internet. But, there might be a way to save them funds.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Beatriz, bienvenida! Lei tu otro mensaje tambien.

No estoy seguro de que puedan ir a Bariloche en tren a menos que te refieras a varias conecciones. Se trata del tren patagonico? Si es asi, entonces la unica manera de llegar -creo- es hacer Buenos Aires > Bahia Blanca > Carmen de Patagones/Viedma > Bariloche.

Es un viaje muy largo con cambio de trenes y nuevos pasajes, pero la ultima parte desde Viedma (900+km) debe ser espectacular. Dado la cantidad de gente en tu grupo el tren puede ser una buena alternativa con mas sabor a aventura. Pero si quieren algo mas seguro y efectivo pueden considerar coches cama (buses) saliendo de la capital federal. Los micros de larga distancia son baratos y salen a horario. Algo con lo que no podes contar con el tren, especialmente en Julio en ciertos ramales.

beatriz cuevas herrera
Username: Beabea

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

gracias!!!! si ya definitivo descartamos el tren.
me dijeron q hay una aerolinea q se llama southwings, q vuela buenos aires bariloche como en $200 usd , pero q tengo q comprar los boletos llegando a argentina. tu sabes algo de esta aerolinea?????

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are referring to southernwinds it went bankrupt many years ago. I have never heard of southwings... Go always with Aerolineas Argentinas.

Roberto
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I personally don't know how they would be cheaper buying them in Argentina. Some large agencies may have blocks that may sell at a discount but they could easily be located in the US too. As far as I am concern, international tickets should be bought locally where you are at.

andy
Username: Bignames

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been to argentina 4 times and looking forward to my fifth. I LOVE ARGENTINA! I have lived in NY all my life and finally I found a city like nyc that is affordable.
the people have always been wonderful to me. this may be terrible to say but I wish too many people woudl not go .... because now all the flights are getting packed from jfk to eze which makes getting an upgrade hard.
I prefer LAN to aerolinas, and besides you acn get miles on your aa account. I am counting the days till I return to my beloved BA!

elina overstadt
Username: Agustina

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When flying in Argentina use LAN if you can, much more reliable as to departure times. Unfortunately LAN only flies to a handful of destinations in Argentina and you will need to use Aerolineas Argentinas for most of your flying. Bring lots to read for your flying adventures,the planes are notoriously late or cancelled.

christiana papadopoullos
Username: Christiana

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto,
My friends and I are due to visit Argentina from the end of July until the beginning of September this year and we have a few questions :-) We were hoping to travel to Patagonia but I believe the weather and conditions are unsuitable. Is this true?? If it is possible to go what gear would you recommend. If it is not possible we were hoping to do an anticlockwise circuit of the Northern part of Argentina starting and ending in Buenos Aires (including the Iguassu Falls and some hiking in the Andes). Would this be possible? What do you think the weather will be like? What clothes would you recommend?
Very much appreciated

Ana
Username: Magdalena

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I need to buy my plane ticket (one way from San Francisco or Oakland to Buenos Aires). I've heard LAN is the way to go, but I looked online and they seem kind of expensive! Does anyone know of other (cheaper) alternatives?? Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration