Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Argentina wine « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member
Username: Bgisborn

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At this moment I'm drinking an Argentina wine: Mariana/Malbec 2008 from San Carlos. It's a red table wine,dry- rich taste for a competitively priced wine-only 7 bucks. I'm trying it with a snack of seasoned Italian olives- taste of the wine is not subdued. I would guess that Mariana had Italian wine influence because the wine has that combination of taste and dryness that is typical of good Italian table wine. Highly recommend. My bottle was bought at Costco in Everett, Washington
My gosh I finished that glass. Time for a refill

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert, this thread of yours has been quite a success. Several members tried to "reply by email" but the messages didn't make it. This module of the forum is currently not working and am hoping my programmer can find what is wrong.

But I will summarize what most said: they all enjoy argentine wine and are happy to find a thread about it. Dolores, in particular, recommended starting a "wine of the week selection" given there are so many brands and prices. I may kick start it with a Malbec from Trapiche.

(Message edited by admin on November 01, 2010)

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you can't find it anywhere else try your local Costco. I'm not plugging Costco but their buyers are very selective. Next week I'll be searching other retail outlets.
I have never seen this quality of table wine at this price. It is a buy.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be trying a couple of wines before Sunday. I recently had to make a hard choice between a 4 dollar bottle of malbec: La Finca, a Mendozan vintner, and a Torrontes from Salta for 7 dollars. The La Finca malbec I found at Trader Joe's in Washington. They told me it's one of their best sellers. This malbec is less dry than the Mariana and possibly not as rich. But heck, for 4 bucks-a great buy. Although I'm not a white wine fan the Torrontes may end up being my wine of the week. The Trapiche malbec is available at Fred Mayer's, a Kroeger store, but it is relatively pricey-about 12 dollars here in Washington.

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The wine industry throughout the America's both north and south has been dominated by vintners from Italy. Though references are made to French grapes for marketing purposes it is Italian methods that have dominated wine making in the Americas. Of course, the French-the Franks of The Holy Roman Empire-learned wine making from the Romans.
The Argentine wine I'm tasting today is a Torrontes from Salta. It is made by the Argentine wine giant Catena. The Almos label I'm drinking is a perfect guest wine. Do not decanter it. Put the bottle on the table as is. It is a finely finished product. The Catena family makes wine in the best Italian tradition. The Torrontes grape is said to be unique to Argentina and Chili but it is similar to a grape from Castilla- LaMancha Spain-white verdejo- though I suspect it has a higher sugar content. The wine I'm drinking could be fermented past its 13.5% but I'm glad it was not as the sweetness is important for this wine. This is really a wine you should try, though I think any wine from this maker would be excellent. If you have deep pockets you can make good wine.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I really like the Torrontes from Salta.

Incidentally, the NYT published today an article about Laura Catena and argentine malbecs.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/laur a-catena-uncorks-argentina/

Robert Gisborn
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Talk about a bang for a buck! How about an 80% Malbec/20% Cabernet Sauvignon under 5 five bucks! The label is Aconga and I found this little jewel at a Fred Meyer supermarket. It's from Maipu,Mendoza. Great taste. I'm not one of those "nuance of nutmeg with a slight blush of orange" wine phonies. This is a really good wine. Recommend it hands down. Hey, if you're looking for no more than a healthy shot of reservatrol what better way to get it-go for it.

Bruno
Username: Bbr

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

With interest I am reading the various recommendations and comments. During my many trips through Argentina I had the opportunity to visit various wineyards in Mendoza, Salta and other areas. My favorite wines are:

Bodega Colomé

The favorite wines are the Torrontes and the Colomé Reserva. Both wines can be purchased in various wine shops in Buenos Aires.

Bodega Salentein

The Malbec wine from the Primus line is excellent. It is one of my favorite wines with a nice piece of meat on the barbecue. The Chardonnay tastes excellent with various starters.

Catena Zapata

Several wines on offer are excellent. Saint Felicien Chardonnay and Malbec, are the favorite ones from this bodega.

Bodegas Escorihuela

This was the first wine I was served in Argentina some years ago. The Escorihuela Gascón Malbec - an excellent wine having been several months in oak barrels - excellent.

San Pedro de Yacochuya

When we travelled from Colomé to Mendoza we stayed overnight in Cafayate and this wine was served to an excellent asado.

Bodega Etchart

Back in Buenos Aires we had dinner with friends and a bottle of the Cafayate Reserva Malbec was the excellent recommendation made.

These are some of the wines which I had the opportunity to taste and some of them even found the way into my small wine cellar. I am aware that there are several other bodegas and I am looking forward to read about many more recommendations from all areas in Argentina.

regards

Bruno

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration