Malbec by Trapiche - Wine of the week... Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » Malbec by Trapiche - Wine of the week (01) « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is not my idea. In fact, I received an email from Dolores (http://www.militarypartners.com/) recommending we start a weekly forum where we can post our impressions on different argentine wines.

I am unsure how to organize it so this may go through different reincarnations until it finds itself some format. It will be creative freedom, I guess. But a few ideas may help, like members posting prices and availability at their locations, personal experiences (local and abroad), comparisons with other wines (even non-argentine ones) and whatever anyone wants to add.

Opening a new "wine of the week" thread can be done by anyone. But it will help to keep it organized if we start these threads one week from today, starting with this one.

So perhaps each Sunday... and keep them rolling until exhaustion. And if we skip a Sunday or two (or three or ten) no problema! No one will get mad.

I hope the "mendocinos" and the "estancieros" in this forum like the idea and give it a shot.

MALBEC by Trapiche.
----------------------

Trapiche and Malbec label

I have chosen this one because I worked for Bodegas Trapiche for 3 years while in Argentina and gathered some personal experience. I guess that makes my comments somewhat biased. However, in those 3 years I had a chance to look at things from the inside and this helped me reach a better understanding of what makes a good fine wine.

In spite of the preparation we all went through -wine tasting classes- and the numerous trips to the vineyards and production plants, I must admit I am far from an expert. My wine choices rely pretty much on the "like/dislike" factor and nothing more. But there are things I remember about this particular variety and of Trapiche that have always made me look at this wine in a different way.

One such thing was the concept of "cru" as it relates to Malbec. We were told that french men understood the combination of weather, soil and seed as a wholesome unit that would lead to something greater than its parts. And that there were special combinations of varietals, soil and weather that would lead to wines with exceptional characteristics, developed to their highest potential. Wines so unique that could not be found anywhere else. The Malbec variety -which never turned into a success in France- was one such case at the foot of the Andes.

There are many malbecs being produced by different brands in different regions along the Andes, but I have always favored Trapiche's. Mostly because while working for them, I became aware of the depth of their commitment. Case in point: for an specific yearly production of one of their premium brands they imported casks from one specific forest in France, barrels which were assembled by hand by french artisans back in Mendoza so as to age the wine properly. This level of detail -and all it encompasses- convinced me that if Malbec was "the" argentine varietal, then Trapiche should excel in its production.

What I like about this Malbec is its soft tannins compared to a cavernet, for instance. And I specially appreciate the oak taste and aroma. But I must say I cannot compare it to other Malbec brands from Argentina.

Tomorrow, I will add prices from my local store and some more information. Below are some links with relevant data...

Malbec and Trapiche
Bodegas Trapiche
Featured in wikipedia
Facebook fan page
News and wines from Argentina
Shop Trapiche Malbec by Bing.

(Message edited by admin on November 01, 2010)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration