How Big is Tango in Argentina? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » How Big is Tango in Argentina? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rachel Lees
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could someone tell me how big of an influence Tango is on Argentine culture and life?

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rachel, this topic is so interesting and complex that requires a thread on its own.

Tango and porteno culture -the culture associated with Buenos Aires- are indistinguishable. Most Buenos Aires dwellers in one form of another have taken clues, perhaps even wisdom, from tango lyrics at some point of our lives. Even *not too old* argentines like myself have heard, have been referred to, were pointed out to tango songs. When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's tango had lost its appeal for the most part -regained in later years- but even so, tango touched my generation in one way or another. Tango is not like soccer, it is not like our yerba mate and it is not like our Sunday's asados. It has a place of its own and it represents something different to each of us, from the new age musicians that play DJ mixes of old tango songs to the average 9-5 Joe. In its most deepest level, tango is an absolute representation of 'portenos' character and traits and it tells our story, a story that keeps repeating itself -sometimes unforturtanely- again and again through all layers of our society.

In our daily life this takes the form of tango tv chanels, tango radio chanels, tango contests, tango in the movies and basically everywhere. You can't go anywhere without listening to some kind of tango -in any of its versions-. And you can't talk to anyone without hearing a line that was taken from a tango lyric. For us, tango has a true, certain meaning. It talks to us about us and is one of the most honest, crude representations of ourselves. But I can't think of Tango having any influence on our culture or life... The two are so intertwined. They go hand in hand and it is our way of life that gave birth to tango. Now, waiting for the tango experts.

(Message edited by admin on October 12, 2005)

Carmen Stigliano
Username: Carmen

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

test

Carmen Stigliano
Username: Carmen

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Roberto, I have posted here two weeks ago and I cant see the post now. Do you know what could have happened?

Thanks.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Carmen. First, thank you for your valuable contributions to our forum.

I must also apologize for the delay in posting but we have been affected by hurricane Wilma and could only log on back this afternoon. I have found 3 posts from you; here, here and here. It is possible that your newest message didn't go through for reasons beyond our control. Servers where our site is hosted have been having some problems as of late. I would really love to know -and I am sure everyone else who reads this forum- what your thoughts are regarding the scope and influence of Tango in Argentina.

-----------------
Ok, I am editing this message. I think I now know what you meant. If I remember correctly you wrote a personal statement about what Tango represented to you. Please check the 3rd post. I think that is the one you are referring to. I moved it to the 'essence of Tango' thread because it sounded like a better fit. Please feel free to expand as you wish...

(Message edited by admin on October 27, 2005)

Administrator
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration