What is the essence of Tango dancing? Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Argentine Culture » What is the essence of Tango dancing? « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Iverson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What are the 2 main aspects of the dance tango?

Roberto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am not a tango expert but I think it will be very difficult to pinpoint just two main characteristics of the dance.

I remember when I was trying to learn how to dance salsa, my instructor -who was an expert tango dancer and teacher- told me that a true characteristic of the tango was that it was felt from the waste up, opposite to latin/caribbean dance where dancers use the lower part of their bodies to express whatever the music is telling them. In tango, partners keep a distance even though they grab each other.

It is probably the case that men lead in most dances, but this is even truer in tango. Tango is ONLY about stereotypes. It is not about the pleasure of moving your body rythmically. These stereotypes are defined through role playing, having the male dancer leading the female dancer, at all times. Many europeans have complained about this aspect of the dance when they are explained how to proceed. In tango, it is the man who makes little, unnoticeable movements for the woman to respond. There is a constant, unspoken dialogue. You cannot dance the real tango if you do not understand this interpersonal exchange, an exchange between clearly defined sex roles. This exchange is usually deeply emotional and charged with passion, feelings of revenge, jealousy and melancholy.

There may be someone out there that might be able to give you a more precise answer, for sure...

(Message edited by admin on March 14, 2005)

Carmen Stigliano
Username: Carmen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Iverson,

For me Tango Dance is an embrace, the embrace of a man with a woman.

It is the celebration of walking with a partner within an embrace as the music takes its place of honour.

Administrator
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Test

sylvia
Username: Sylvia

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have learnt a few of the Dominican dances and tried some Salsa lessons but found it fun but difficult. I would love to learn Tango... unfortunately I was brought up in England where the people there are very stiff ! so this is where the difficulty lies !!

I am looking forward to the night life in BA .. I love to dance and meet people.

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You will have plenty of opportunities to learn Tango when here. There are many good teachers and many 'milongas' where you can dance informally and even take tango lessons...

Jim Jardine
Username: Kinnaird

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Intimacy and acceptance do it for me. A stranger sharing with me and excepting me through Tango is something i find addictive.

Jim Jardine
Username: Kinnaird

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Two main aspects...left/right! Of course I intended to say accepting above not excepted.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration