Review my travel plans, please Contact us | Log In | Log Out | Argentina Forums
Travelsur Home | Admin | Register | Edit Profile | Search

Argentina Travel Advice » Destinations in Argentina » Review my travel plans, please « Previous Next »
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diego
Username: Soarer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everybody

First, let me say "thank you" to the administrator of this forum. I already learned a lot about Argentina by reading the info presented here.

Now, I plan to travel to Argentina (for the first time) in October for 3 weeks. Obviously, I have to concentrate on a few areas and this is what I came up with:

First half (9-10 days):

Either Salta, San Juan, Mendoza or Bariloche. The reason for those destinations is that they all have a local aero club, at which I hope to be able to charter an airplane or glider (I have a pilot license). Besides the flying, the plan is to rent a 4x4 to explore the area on the ground.

Second half (the remaining days):

Buenos Aires:

The usual "tourist stuff", including sightseeing, shopping, nightlife etc. Also, maybe one or two short trips to the beaches or other locations of interest.

So, here are my questions:

- What do you think about my plans in general?
- Which of the destinations I mentioned for the first half of my stay (Salta, San Juan, Mendoza or Bariloche) would you recommend most in terms of things to see and do?
- The flying is an important part in my plans. Which of the areas I mentioned do you think would be to most scenic and suitable for this?
- For my stay in BA, what kind of 1-2 day excursions would you recommend (beaches?)
- And finally, any pilots here that know any of the aero clubs in the areas I mentioned? Or anyone else for that matter who would be able to help me get in contact with those clubs? I sent them Emails, but so far haven't heard back from them.

A lot of questions and a long post, sorry about that. And thanks in advance for taking the time to read and help me out here.

Diego

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is a quick answer only.

> I think Mendoza overall wil be nicer in spring than any other location.

> When in BA you can consider a weekend "treat" at the Conrad's Spa in Punta del Este (beach). Inexpensive and nice getaway. Beaches in BA will have little activity at that time of the year but you can try visiting Mar del Plata.

Can't help with the flying question... :-(

Diego

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Roberto

Thanks for your reply. Can't wait to read the long version . Just kidding.

I am now in contact with someone who could possibly make the necessary arrangements with the Aero Club of Mendoza, so combined with your recommendation, it looks like its going to be Mendoza.

If you or anyone else finds the time to post some more info / recommendations, that would be great.

Regards
Diego

Tom Woodson
Username: Diverdown48

Post Number: 83

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

People actually swim in the Rio de la Plata. I am midly surprised if so.
Further down the coast toward Bahia Sanborobon. I am fairly certain I misspelled that. The water is blue there. Does anyone know of any scuba diver outfitters around there?
Hasta luego
Tom

nice beach. anyone recognize it? An atta boy for the person who gets it right.

Diego

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, it looks like my "base" for the first half of the stay is going to be Mendoza. As I mentioned before, the idea is to rent a car to explore the area. Seeing that Mendoza is "only" approx. 800 from BA, do you think it's a good idea to drive BA-Mendoza and back, or take the airplane. I have no idea what the roads are like though.

Thanks

Roberto
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Diego, since you have alloted considerable time for the destinations I think driving will actually be nice. Mendoza is about 630 miles (1040 km) from Buenos Aires and you can take national highway 7 (RN7). Or you can take RN8 which has less trucks and then join RN7.

In Mendoza, don't forget to visit Puente del Inca, Vallecito, Tunuyan, Tupungato and the wineries and I suggest a day trip to San Rafael.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Argentina Directory
(Local resources)

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Argentina Forum | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | FORUM GUIDELINES/HELP | Directory Submissions | Travel Directory | Argentina Vacation Administration